Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Needed: A forum for travelers who smoke

Needed: A forum for travelers who smoke

Old Jun 14, 15, 7:02 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
My bet is there are more guys who smoke than are gay...

Give them their forum

Lot of tobacco companies out there.

Let's treat every one the same...
Old Jun 15, 15, 6:39 pm
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
I stumbled across this thread while looking for something else, but I'd like to throw in my $.02 in support of this. It is becoming increasingly difficult for smokers who travel. I'd find a place to discuss these issues and share tips to be very useful.
Old Jun 16, 15, 7:34 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I do not get it... there are plenty of places to discuss it currently on FT... why is it not happening?

You can ask airport/city questions in the destination forums. You can ask property specific questions in the hotel forums. You can ask rental car questions in the rental car forums. You can ask general questions in TravelBuzz or OMNI.

No limit on where postings can happen.... but yet, not many are happening.

If we follow the TB precedence of wanting evidence of threads/posts to show a need... then not posting makes no sense.
Old Jun 16, 15, 8:10 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by wharvey View Post
I do not get it... there are plenty of places to discuss it currently on FT... why is it not happening?
One big reason is that whenever a smoker asks about facilities available to him, the responses include some extremely rude replies.

Moreover, questions in hotel forums work only if the smoker considers the chain as being more important than his ability to smoke. I was Hilton Diamond during my last visit to Atlanta and would have preferred staying at a Hilton hotel using my points (as I have done during previous stays) but there no longer are any Hilton properties allowing smoking in the airport area. A question on the Hilton Forum would not help me find a hotel.

If I were to ask that same question on the Atlanta local forum, I probably would not have gotten a response as locals generally don't stay at hotels. (I could not tell you what hotels in Israel allow smoking.)
Old Jun 16, 15, 8:11 am

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
The Smoker just wants his own little horn to blow, just like a few others..

The smoker has found most now think it is bad for your health, many thing present health problems, there was a time it was fashionable to smoke...,

Still is in some places..,and they are as deserving as any other group...blow some smoke..

I know several smokers, and they share info where it can be done..
Old Jun 16, 15, 8:18 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Originally Posted by satman40 View Post
The Smoker just wants his own little horn to blow, just like a few others..

The smoker has found most now think it is bad for your health, many thing present health problems, there was a time it was fashionable to smoke...,

Still is in some places..,and they are as deserving as any other group...blow some smoke..

I know several smokers, and they share info where it can be done..

I begin to understand your problem Dovster

Don't worry i'll report myself
Old Jun 16, 15, 8:20 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Fora I moderate or frequent:

In the three American Airlines fora, we have two threads started this year on this topic. One was closed because the question was answered and drifted to other waters, the other continues open as it addresses Admirals Clubs that permit smoking or vaping.

There are no other current threads; another thread, about the closing of the smoking lounge in the CLT US Airways Lounge, was started in 2010 and died out in 2011.

Some few posts including the word "smoking" (usually in Admirals Club lounge threads exist, iirc, but many posts including the word "smoking" relate to a person's physical appearance).

A very few threads with "smoking" in the titles do not refer to the use of tobacco products, but rather use "smoking" as an adjective describing something exciting or extraordinary. One discusses a passenger arrested for smoking on an aircraft.

Hilton HHonors forum (frequent, do not moderate): none this year.
2014: 1
2013: 3
2012: 3
2011: 0
2010: 0
2006: 1 carrying into 2012 about bookers of non-smoking rooms being given smoking rooms

Mexico forum: none, ever.
Old Jun 16, 15, 9:25 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
JDiver, I think the reason you will find such few threads is because smokers have learned their lessons about posting on the existing forums. I no longer do and, when I was searching for hotels in Manhattan and Atlanta, did not attempt to ask on FT. Instead, I spent a very long time searching through lists of hotels.

(I did find two Hilton properties in Manhattan on the HHonors site, but even there it is difficult as I have to enter into each hotel's own website.)
Old Jun 16, 15, 4:26 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Dovster View Post
JDiver, I think the reason you will find such few threads is because smokers have learned their lessons about posting on the existing forums. I no longer do and, when I was searching for hotels in Manhattan and Atlanta, did not attempt to ask on FT. Instead, I spent a very long time searching through lists of hotels.

(I did find two Hilton properties in Manhattan on the HHonors site, but even there it is difficult as I have to enter into each hotel's own website.)
It's possible; I've moderated more than one thread where discussion drifted or even skewed into hostility on the topic. OTOH, I've seen others dealt with calmly and on topic.

I don't have a horse in this race; just wanted to add some data points.
Old Jun 16, 15, 11:41 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, United Club ex-Lifetime Member
Originally Posted by nsx View Post
Does someone here want to draft a mission statement (OP text) for a Smokers' Lounge thread and post it here?
Here's my stab at it:
The Smokers' Lounge is a flame-free zone for discussion of any and all subjects related to smokers who travel. Any derogatory posts about smokers or smoking will be promptly extinguished.

Topics may include:

Hotels and hotel brands that offer rooms for smokers
Airport accommodations for smokers
Car rental restrictions and brand differences
Vaping restrictions compared with smoking restrictions
Smoking and sharing services (AirBnB, Uber, etc.)

The Smokers' Lounge is yours to shape and direct by your choice of topics and your friendly discussion. If any topic becomes sufficiently popular, it may be split out of the Lounge into its own thread, improving the ability of readers to find the information they seek.
Old Jun 16, 15, 11:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan, Canada & Manufactured Spending

Here's my stab at it
Maybe instead of a mission statement it could be determined whether there's actually sufficient demand for such a forum. It doesn't seem so to me nor given the stat.'s that have been presented so aren't you jumping the gun just a bit?
Old Jun 16, 15, 11:51 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, United Club ex-Lifetime Member
Originally Posted by tcook052 View Post
Maybe instead of a mission statement it could be determined whether there's actually sufficient demand for such a forum. It doesn't seem so to me nor given the stat.'s that have been presented so aren't you jumping the gun just a bit?
That statement is for a proposed megathread, probably in Travel Buzz.
Old Jun 16, 15, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL PM, UA Gold, WN A-List, HH DIA, Hyatt Disc, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Should a thread about smoking really be "flame free"? How else will y'all light up?
Old Jun 17, 15, 12:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan, Canada & Manufactured Spending

Apologies.
Old Jun 17, 15, 8:28 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond
What is stopping this thread from being started right now? There is no need for any Talkboard action for a member to start such a thread.

I have read every thread I can find on smoking... and have not seen all the "over the top" attacks that have been mentioned in this thread. Granted, I may have missed some threads as I can only do so much with FT search.

I still do not see the demand for a Smoking forum.... especially given how difficult it will be to close it if unsuccessful.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: