Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Increased Transparency in TB Votes

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2015, 7:47 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Pub24
Ummmmm, the idea of closing 4 forums came up on February 18, and the motion was made on February 19. This is the exact definition of rushing to vote and choosing to minimize public input.
This thread was created January 4th:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...-subforum.html

On January 5th this was written:

Given that's the case, it actually may pay to just have separate forums for the majors (Hertz, Avis, National) and put everyone else into General/Other. Often the questions for the others revolve less around the rewards program and more about general questions anyway.
This is why it's best to check into this forum early and often.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 7:48 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by nsx
What about a public forum only for future TalkBoard discussion? We could accomplish that simply by closing the private forum and using this one.
I think that's a great idea and might have a side-effect of seeing more Talk Board member participation on the public forum.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 7:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by tom911
I think that's a great idea and might have a side-effect of seeing more Talk Board member participation on the public forum.
For the record, I think there would be more participation if members toned down their hostility towards us. The level of vitriol is incredibly frustrating. I know we are elected officials and we're here to serve the entire community, but the distrust, the constant nitpicking and refusing to compromise makes it difficult to post here.

Please remember we are human and we are doing the best we can and that a little respect goes a long way.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 8:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by CMK10
For the record, I think there would be more participation if members toned down their hostility towards us. The level of vitriol is incredibly frustrating. I know we are elected officials and we're here to serve the entire community, but the distrust, the constant nitpicking and refusing to compromise makes it difficult to post here.

Please remember we are human and we are doing the best we can and that a little respect goes a long way.
The same goes for having respect towards those taking time to make suggestions and give feedback on threads. Fewer comments about comments being ridiculous, less arrogance, more of a willingness to admit that some proposed motions have issues and are concerning, and less use of terms like nitpicking might go a long way too.

Likewise, less hostility from some TB members towards others on TB might be nice too.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 9:00 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
For the record, my suggestion for opening the private TB forum as read-only is about as likely to happen as my suggestion for the past decade or so that a mens travel forum be created: nil.

But that will never, ever stop me from tilting at my windmills!
Old Mar 6, 2015, 9:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kipper
The same goes for having respect towards those taking time to make suggestions and give feedback on threads. Fewer comments about comments being ridiculous, less arrogance, more of a willingness to admit that some proposed motions have issues and are concerning, and less use of terms like nitpicking might go a long way too.

Likewise, less hostility from some TB members towards others on TB might be nice too.
Ah yes it's all our fault. Do you realize how thankless a job this really is? There is never any gratitude: just complaint after complaint after complaint. Not to mention the twisting of the facts, the putting words in our mouths, the starting of rumors and spreading of disinformation, belief in conspiracies, general closed minded attitudes by a lot of people etc. etc. etc.

It's really easy to complain about the action (or inaction) we take, it's a lot harder to actually do what we do. You seem to have all the answers and we have an election later this year, why not put your money where your mouth is and lead by example?
Old Mar 6, 2015, 9:18 pm

Ah yes it's all our fault. Do you realize how thankless a job this really is? There is never any gratitude: just complaint after complaint after complaint. Not to mention the twisting of the facts, the putting words in our mouths, the starting of rumors and spreading of disinformation, belief in conspiracies, general closed minded attitudes by a lot of people etc. etc. etc.

It's really easy to complain about the action (or inaction) we take, it's a lot harder to actually do what we do. You seem to have all the answers and we have an election later this year, why not put your money where your mouth is and lead by example?
So, you don't want hostility from general members, yet you are now posting this?

I ran for TB twice a few years ago (IIRC), and wasn't elected. I also don't have the time I had then, due to other commitments that I've made since then. As such, I have no interest in adding yet another thing to do to my list. That said, I didn't realize that being elected to or running for TB was a requirement to voice one's opinion in this forum.

If a member of TB doesn't want opinions and/or discussion from members, then instead of hostility, perhaps they should consider a motion to close this forum.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by kokonutz
For the record, my suggestion for opening the private TB forum as read-only is about as likely to happen as my suggestion for the past decade or so that a mens travel forum be created: nil.

But that will never, ever stop me from tilting at my windmills!
You keep tilting at your windmills! You did make some progress on a few of them.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 9:22 pm
Original Poster

If a member of TB doesn't want opinions and/or discussion from members, then instead of hostility, perhaps they should consider a motion to close this forum.
See what i mean about twisting words? Opinions are welcome, but there's a way to present them and a way not to.

Also, for someone who doesn't have time to serve on TalkBoard, you seem to have practically unlimited time to complain about TalkBoard...
Old Mar 6, 2015, 9:27 pm

See what i mean about twisting words? Opinions are welcome, but there's a way to present them and a way not to.

Also, for someone who doesn't have time to serve on TalkBoard, you seem to have practically unlimited time to complain about TalkBoard...
There's also a a way to handle criticism and a way not to handle it...

So, now, you claim to know my schedule? I didn't realize that taking 15 minutes in the morning to surf FT and an hour or so at night was practically unlimited.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 9:33 pm
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bdschobel
Can we stop now, please? This simply isn't fruitful.

Bruce

Agreed.

The tradition has been to allow open debate in this forum. However some of the postings in this thread are downright immature, aggressive, and lack constructive commentary.

If current board members have thin skin, then you might want to contemplate stepping back and determining if the grief is really worth it. If regular members have issues with individual board members state your case as objectively as possible and move on. If the object of your rhetoric doesn't embrace your premise then consider replacing them at the next election.

IJAFBB
Old Mar 6, 2015, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Thank you! ^

Bruce
Old Mar 6, 2015, 10:49 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by Moderator2
The tradition has been to allow open debate in this forum. However some of the postings in this thread are downright immature, aggressive, and lack constructive commentary.

If current board members have thin skin, then you might want to contemplate stepping back and determining if the grief is really worth it. If regular members have issues with individual board members state your case as objectively as possible and move on. If the object of your rhetoric doesn't embrace your premise then consider replacing them at the next election.
I de-emphasized what you posted, Moderator2; but I do want to comment on it.

Sure, sometimes it can be frustrating — whether as a moderator or member of TalkBoard — when a fellow FlyerTalk member offers criticism.

While I prefer the criticism to be constructive, I have learned some years ago that feedback is a gift. If a person is willing to take the time out of his or her life to provide constructive feedback — rather than do the easy thing and simply ignore the services I attempt to provide to fellow FlyerTalk members — then I listen:
The same goes for having respect towards those taking time to make suggestions and give feedback on threads.
...and I agree with kipper — not just because I like smoked fish, which does not really go well with popcorn; but also because she and other FlyerTalk members have taken the time and effort to provide feedback from which I learn.

After all, we all generally have the same goal: to further improve FlyerTalk — so let’s work together and do what we can to accomplish that goal.

If someone posts that I am not doing a good job as a member of TalkBoard, that is useless to me. If someone posts why I am not doing a good job as a member of TalkBoard and provides alternate solutions from which I can learn where I can better serve the FlyerTalk community, that can potentially be significantly helpful...

...so why do I serve the FlyerTalk community? That is simple. For me over the years, FlyerTalk is not just another Internet bulletin board. I consider many members of FlyerTalk as friends over the years. I have benefited from the information posted on FlyerTalk. In some ways, it has changed my life...

...so I say, please keep the thoughts and suggestions coming. All I ask is that they be constructive so that I may learn from them.

Now, how can I serve you?
Old Mar 7, 2015, 12:27 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
It's really easy to complain about the action (or inaction) we take, it's a lot harder to actually do what we do.
I don't doubt that. You make yourself very visible on this forum compared to some other members, so you're going to be involved in more dialog and more discussion/conflict here because of that. You have more posts in this thread than anyone else, and you're very visible in threads throughout this forum. Maybe it's time to scale back some and give other Talk Board members the opportunity to contribute more.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 3:02 am

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by Canarsie
Now, how can I serve you?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCtzyo8DWn4

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.