Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Should there be a 'hired car/driver' forum on FlyerTalk

Should there be a 'hired car/driver' forum on FlyerTalk

Old Apr 2, 2015, 6:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by CMK10
Just my gut feeling. Remember that just because a company is popular doesn't mean there will be high FT demand. Hell, Enterprise is the largest car rental company in the US and there's very little discussion about it here.
Indeed.

mia put this together early in the discussion:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24461892-post25.html
Yes, but over what period are those 519 mentions?
Old Apr 2, 2015, 7:51 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by tcook052
I do not remember now, but anyone can replicate the search.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 2:52 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Are we talking about a forum exclusively for Uber etc. ride services or whatever they're called or is the suggestion to have a more general forum that would at least include car services/limos, the divisions of car rental agencies that cover the provision of vehicles with drivers, etc.? IF we go ahead with this, I think a broader forum would be better, but I'm open to being convinced about this as well as the general desirability of such a new forum.
My current preference is a parent forum for all Single Trip Ride Services: buses, taxis, limos, camels, whatever. One subforum for Uber, one for Lyft. All other companies can ride along with the camels.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 2:55 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

I am more in favor of voting for this forum if it does come to a vote but I am still undecided as to how I envision it; so I am reading all of the input posted here in this discussion.
Originally Posted by nsx
All other companies can ride along with the camels.
What if those companies do not smoke cigarettes or, at the very least, prefer a different brand?
Old Apr 3, 2015, 3:44 pm

Programs: DL exDM MM
Originally Posted by nsx
My current preference is a parent forum for all Single Trip Ride Services: buses, taxis, limos, camels, whatever. One subforum for Uber, one for Lyft. All other companies can ride along with the camels.
I like the idea of a parent forum with sub-forums, as you suggest. Until that happens I plan to post my questions and comments in the appropriate destination sub-forums.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Canarsie
I am more in favor of voting for this forum if it does come to a vote but I am still undecided as to how I envision it; so I am reading all of the input posted here in this discussion.What if those companies do not smoke cigarettes or, at the very least, prefer a different brand?
You can always hope that this potential vote will have a luckier strike than the last vote.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
You can always hope that this potential vote will have a luckier strike than the last vote.
True. True...
Old Apr 4, 2015, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by mia
About 519 threads mention Uber or Lyft or both, and over 100 of those have one of these terms in the Title.
I hope to add to the stats that mia provided and to answer the more specific question that tcook052 asked.

I searched for threads in all forums with "Lyft" in the title, from the last 365 days. The search returned 6 threads, with a total of 82 replies and 13,573 views. Top 5 threads below (in event of tie, the most recent thread was chosen):

In the last year there were 86 total threads that mention "Lyft" somewhere in the thread.
-----

I searched for threads in all forums with "Uber" in the title, from the last 365 days. The search returned 74 threads, with a total of 1665 replies and 223,669 views. Top 5 replied-to threads below:

In the past year there are 466 total threads that mention "Uber" somewhere in the thread.

From the results, I don't think there is much of a case to be made for a separate, specific Lyft subforum. 6 threads total, and only 4 that have replies is not a promising figure. It seems that Uber is much more popular, but I don't think that 74 posts is enough for a separate subforum. If a new forum is created for "On-Demand Ride Services/Hired Car Driver", I think it needs to be a general forum for all services.

EDIT: I realize that I left off an important piece of information from my tables. The tables below include a column to indicate the last time something was posted.

Last edited by scottpenderson; Apr 4, 2015 at 3:25 pm Reason: Added additional table
Old Apr 4, 2015, 3:13 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
That's some great research, thank you for doing it and giving us some valuable data ^
Old Apr 4, 2015, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by scottpenderson
From the results, I don't think there is much of a case to be made for a separate, specific Lyft subforum. 6 threads total, and only 4 that have replies is not a promising figure. It seems that Uber is much more popular, but I don't think that 74 posts is enough for a separate subforum. If a new forum is created for "On-Demand Ride Services/Hired Car Driver", I think it needs to be a general forum for all services.
That's some great research, thank you for doing it and giving us some valuable data ^
Thank you from me as well.

I agree that only one new forum should potentially be created; and at the very worst, if at any time in the future any of the specific service providers becomes popular, we can always propose to vote on whether or not that specific service provider should be split off into its own forum or sub-forum.

I am still uncertain as to exactly what the name of this new forum should be called — otherwise, I am in favor of creating a new forum at this point based on the feedback posted in this discussion.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 3:34 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Canarsie
I am still uncertain as to exactly what the name of this new forum should be called otherwise, I am in favor of creating a new forum at this point based on the feedback posted in this discussion.
How about just Ride Services?
Old Apr 4, 2015, 3:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nsx
How about just Ride Services?
I think Ride Services (Uber, Lyft etc.) might be a little better. Ride Services is a bit vague and if you're just scrolling through forum names you won't see the descriptions.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 8:59 pm

Valuable indeed as lest I should be trampled in the rush to judgement to create this forum I'll only point out that those numbers are about as much traffic as the Budget Asian, Australian and South Pacific Airlines forum as indicated in nsx's 2014 forum traffic statistics in this post. Oh, I know the 'build it and they will come crowd' will predict bigger & better volume with a dedicated forum but promises are only that and these numbers don't warrant forum creation yet. That is of course merely MHO and I'll bow to the inevitable and see TB create yet another forum while avoiding reviewing existing forum traffic stat.'s.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 12:05 am

Valuable indeed as lest I should be trampled in the rush to judgement to create this forum I'll only point out that those numbers are about as much traffic as the Budget Asian, Australian and South Pacific Airlines forum as indicated in nsx's 2014 forum traffic statistics in this post. Oh, I know the 'build it and they will come crowd' will predict bigger & better volume with a dedicated forum but promises are only that and these numbers don't warrant forum creation yet. That is of course merely MHO and I'll bow to the inevitable and see TB create yet another forum while avoiding reviewing existing forum traffic stat.'s.
Well aren't we the eternal pessimist. All I said was I appreciated the numbers.

In fact, thanks to the rental car reshuffling, we've actually closed more forums this year than we've opened
Old Apr 5, 2015, 5:48 am

Well aren't we the eternal pessimist.
Realist, not pessimist.

In fact, thanks to the rental car reshuffling, we've actually closed more forums this year than we've opened
The year is far from over.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.