Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Motion Passed, Voting Over: Restructuring of the Car Rental Forums

Motion Passed, Voting Over: Restructuring of the Car Rental Forums

    Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 13, 15, 2:26 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
Wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Originally Posted by bdschobel View Post

On March 12, 2015, TalkBoard passed by a 6-3 vote the following amended motion:

Originally Posted by Amended Motion
TalkBoard recommends the following restructuring of car rental forums:

1. "Car Rental Programs/Partners" heading to remain the same

2. Add a new forum at the top of the list titled "Rental Car Discussion" and subtitled "General Topics, plus Alamo, Budget, Enterprise, Dollar, and Thrifty"

3. Retain these four separate forums:
Avis | Preferred
Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
National | Emerald Club
Sixt |

4. Close these four forums:
Budget | Fastbreak
Dollar | Express Renter Rewards
Thrifty | Blue Chip Rewards
Other Car Rental Programs (i.e., Alamo, Enterprise)

5. Move all threads from the four closed forums into the new "Rental Car Discussion" forum

6. TalkBoard prefers that the threads moved from closing the Dollar, Budget, and Thrifty forums be identified somehow in the new, general "Rental Car Discussion" forum. That identification could use tags like are used for Hotel Reviews in the Luxury Hotels forum; an appropriate prefix could be added to each thread title; or some other way could be used to identify the former homes of these threads. If such identification is feasible within the next four months or so, we favor delaying the forum merger until the identification task is completed.
Voting yes: bdschobel, CMK10, dchristiva, jason8612, kokonutz, nsx

Voting no: Canarsie, MSPeconomist, rwoman
Print Wikipost

 

Old Mar 11, 15, 6:43 pm
  #91  
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: California
Programs: WN CP & A-list preferred, just another shafted United Club Lifetime Member, Hotwire, Priceline, tent
Posts: 19,387
I plan to vote Yes on this motion tomorrow. The Budget, Dollar, and Thrifty forums are no longer needed, and merging them will improve FT.

In response to concerns that former Budget, Dollar, and Thrifty threads might be incompletely titled after a merge, I drafted the following statement of implementation preference, which the Community Director may consider as she wishes:

We would prefer that the threads moved from the closing Dollar, Budget, and Thrifty forums be identified somehow in the new General Rental Car Discussion forum. That identification could use tags like Hotel Reviews in the Luxury Hotels forum, it could be a prefix added to each thread title, or there could be some other way to identify the former home for these threads. If such identification is feasible within the next four months or so, we favor delaying the merge of threads from those three forums until the identification task is completed.

When I vote Yes, we will have 6 or more TalkBoard members on record in favor of this statement. It's like a friendly amendment but somewhat stronger because it will have 6 votes rather than some smaller number.

If TalkBoard had a formal friendly amendment process this could have and would have become an amendment to the motion. I am comfortable treating this as an informal recommendation accompanying our formal recommendation. In particular, I wouldn't really mind if the Community Director were to ignore it, but I think this informal recommendation addresses a valid concern that FT members, including TalkBoard's own MSPeconomist, have raised.

For what it's worth, I have already started the process of asking IB about different options to identify the former forum for any threads merged from Budget, Dollar, or Thrifty. Threads merged from Other Car Rental will not need any such identification. The four month time frame is a concession to the reality that Internet Brands always has other priority projects, coupled with a desire to get this done in a reasonable time frame with or without identification of old threads.
nsx is offline  
Old Mar 11, 15, 7:00 pm
  #92  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Programs: HH Diamond, Priority Club Platinum
Posts: 37,545
Originally Posted by nsx View Post
I plan to vote Yes on this motion tomorrow. The Budget, Dollar, and Thrifty forums are no longer needed, and merging them will improve FT.

In response to concerns that former Budget, Dollar, and Thrifty threads might be incompletely titled after a merge, I drafted the following statement of implementation preference, which the Community Director may consider as she wishes:

We would prefer that the threads moved from the closing Dollar, Budget, and Thrifty forums be identified somehow in the new General Rental Car Discussion forum. That identification could use tags like Hotel Reviews in the Luxury Hotels forum, it could be a prefix added to each thread title, or there could be some other way to identify the former home for these threads. If such identification is feasible within the next four months or so, we favor delaying the merge of threads from those three forums until the identification task is completed.

When I vote Yes, we will have 6 or more TalkBoard members on record in favor of this statement. It's like a friendly amendment but somewhat stronger because it will have 6 votes rather than some smaller number.

If TalkBoard had a formal friendly amendment process this could have and would have become an amendment to the motion. I am comfortable treating this as an informal recommendation accompanying our formal recommendation. In particular, I wouldn't really mind if the Community Director were to ignore it, but I think this informal recommendation addresses a valid concern that FT members, including TalkBoard's own MSPeconomist, have raised.

For what it's worth, I have already started the process of asking IB about different options to identify the former forum for any threads merged from Budget, Dollar, or Thrifty. Threads merged from Other Car Rental will not need any such identification. The four month time frame is a concession to the reality that Internet Brands always has other priority projects, coupled with a desire to get this done in a reasonable time frame with or without identification of old threads.
Tags would be nice, although it would be nicer if the threads could be searched for those tags.
kipper is offline  
Old Mar 11, 15, 7:05 pm
  #93  
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: California
Programs: WN CP & A-list preferred, just another shafted United Club Lifetime Member, Hotwire, Priceline, tent
Posts: 19,387
Originally Posted by kipper View Post
Tags would be nice, although it would be nicer if the threads could be searched for those tags.
Agreed. I have already asked IB several questions on feasibility, including that one. Answers may be some time in coming.
nsx is offline  
Old Mar 11, 15, 7:13 pm
  #94  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Programs: HH Diamond, Priority Club Platinum
Posts: 37,545
Originally Posted by nsx View Post
Agreed. I have already asked IB several questions on feasibility, including that one. Answers may be some time in coming.
Then why not wait until you have those answers?
kipper is offline  
Old Mar 11, 15, 7:19 pm
  #95  
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: California
Programs: WN CP & A-list preferred, just another shafted United Club Lifetime Member, Hotwire, Priceline, tent
Posts: 19,387
Originally Posted by kipper View Post
Then why not wait until you have those answers?
Because the answers might come very late or never, and because it's easier to get an answer when we are already committed to merge one way or another. Four months is a reasonable time frame to give IB. If it's lower on their priority list than that, then the heck with identifying the old threads. Just my opinion.
nsx is offline  
Old Mar 11, 15, 7:32 pm
  #96  
Moderator: Marriott Bonvoy & Travel with Children
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Winter Garden, FL
Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Posts: 13,678
And mine.

Bruce
bdschobel is offline  
Old Mar 12, 15, 2:47 am
  #97  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Programs: HH Diamond, Priority Club Platinum
Posts: 37,545
Originally Posted by nsx View Post
Because the answers might come very late or never, and because it's easier to get an answer when we are already committed to merge one way or another. Four months is a reasonable time frame to give IB. If it's lower on their priority list than that, then the heck with identifying the old threads. Just my opinion.
Silly me for thinking that before one does something that can make it almost impossible to find existing information about some car companies, one should take the time to figure out how it can be easily searched.
kipper is offline  
Old Mar 12, 15, 6:23 am
  #98  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: LHR
Programs: DL DM 1MM, AA Plat
Posts: 10,157
Originally Posted by kipper View Post
Silly me for thinking that before one does something that can make it almost impossible to find existing information about some car companies, one should take the time to figure out how it can be easily searched.
As the vote comes to a close soon and I'm headed out to a place with poor internet access, I've left my vote at a "No."
  • I do recognize the need for a general rental car forum.
  • I'm skeptical of the labor involved for (volunteer) moderators to add tags.
  • I'm wary of "friendly amendments" made via PM vice the TB forums.
rwoman is offline  
Old Mar 12, 15, 11:09 am
  #99  
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth
Programs: UA 1K/MM refugee to cheapest business class fare, SPG Lifetime Plat, CBP Global Entry, #datelife
Posts: 47,933
Ime, the TB recommends and the CD does the best she can with that recommendation.

This one will be no different.

While I understand the procedural frustrations this motion brought to light on all sides I tend to consider perfect to be the enemy of good enough.

The great news is the the TB has finally closed some under utilized forums. Pigs do fly!
kokonutz is offline  
Old Mar 12, 15, 2:16 pm
  #100  
Moderator: Marriott Bonvoy & Travel with Children
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Winter Garden, FL
Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Posts: 13,678
Motion passed: Restructuring of the Car Rental Forums

On March 12, 2015, TalkBoard passed by a 6-3 vote the following amended motion:
Originally Posted by Amended Motion
TalkBoard recommends the following restructuring of car rental forums:

1. "Car Rental Programs/Partners" heading to remain the same

2. Add a new forum at the top of the list titled "Rental Car Discussion" and subtitled "General Topics, plus Alamo, Budget, Enterprise, Dollar, and Thrifty"

3. Retain these four separate forums:
Avis | Preferred
Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
National | Emerald Club
Sixt |

4. Close these four forums:
Budget | Fastbreak
Dollar | Express Renter Rewards
Thrifty | Blue Chip Rewards
Other Car Rental Programs (i.e., Alamo, Enterprise)

5. Move all threads from the four closed forums into the new "Rental Car Discussion" forum

6. TalkBoard prefers that the threads moved from closing the Dollar, Budget, and Thrifty forums be identified somehow in the new, general "Rental Car Discussion" forum. That identification could use tags like are used for Hotel Reviews in the Luxury Hotels forum; an appropriate prefix could be added to each thread title; or some other way could be used to identify the former homes of these threads. If such identification is feasible within the next four months or so, we favor delaying the forum merger until the identification task is completed.
Voting yes: bdschobel, CMK10, dchristiva, jason8612, kokonutz, nsx

Voting no: Canarsie, MSPeconomist, rwoman
bdschobel is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread