Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Space Available Forum (for military and their retirees)

Space Available Forum (for military and their retirees)

Old Feb 6, 15, 8:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There are also some private clubs in the USA with a military focus, such as the Army-Navy Club in Washington DC that contains hotel rooms as well as F&B facilities.

IIRC some military bases have temporary staff quarters that can be like hotel rooms for different categories of visitors which can (?????) sometimes be used for leisure travel.
Old Feb 6, 15, 4:27 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
There are also some private clubs in the USA with a military focus, such as the Army-Navy Club in Washington DC that contains hotel rooms as well as F&B facilities.

IIRC some military bases have temporary staff quarters that can be like hotel rooms for different categories of visitors which can (?????) sometimes be used for leisure travel.
The San Francisco based Marines' Memorial Association and Hotel and Club is one of those clubs; they belong to a global network of affiliate clubs and lodging.

Eons ago when I was a military member, VOQ (Visiting Officers Quarters) and sometimes BOQ (Batchelor Officers Quarters) allowed transient officers and those, well, visiting on other than TDY (Temporary Duty) reasons. Maybe still today; maybe rwoman can bail me out here?
Old Feb 8, 15, 3:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 1MM, AA Plat
Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
Eons ago when I was a military member, VOQ (Visiting Officers Quarters) and sometimes BOQ (Batchelor Officers Quarters) allowed transient officers and those, well, visiting on other than TDY (Temporary Duty) reasons. Maybe still today; maybe rwoman can bail me out here?
Yes, most bases still permit space-A travel in billeting. Often requires flexibility up to the last minute but can be a fraction of the cost.

For example, where I am in the UK, space-A rooms run $40-60/night. Can be a big savings versus the local Marriott (£99/$153 or more).

As an E5 traveling cross country many years ago, I stayed at Tinker AFB in OK for $15/night.

Old Feb 8, 15, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 1MM, AA Plat
Another thought that came to mind relating to this topic...

While gov't/military official and leisure travel is a relatively small niche, it could drive some new traffic into FT when people search for further info.

Might not be the busiest forum on FT but could fill a need for some.

If only I could work around the LHR TPA city pair...
Old Feb 8, 15, 7:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan & Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by rwoman View Post
Might not be the busiest forum on FT but could fill a need for some.
Given the lack of members who've beaten a path here to lobby for such a forum I'd think that quite likely.
Old Feb 8, 15, 10:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by tcook052 View Post
Given the lack of members who've beaten a path here to lobby for such a forum I'd think that quite likely.
This thread was only started four or five days ago and, in fact, began life in a different forum. It's not unusual for TBT treads not to generate lots of comments, partly because many people who are active on FT don't check TBT very often. I don't think we can conclude anything at this point.
Old Feb 9, 15, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/1MM, DL PM, UA Plat, HH DIA, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Running a search of "Military Space Available" came up with very few results. As of now I do not see much need for this forum.
Old Feb 9, 15, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/1MM, DL PM, UA Plat, HH DIA, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
A lot of those threads are over a year old and a good number of them died without getting past 15 posts. As of now I think the current forums can handle these occasional posts.
Old Feb 11, 15, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
One roadblock I see is that "Space A" (Military Space Available Travel, for eligible active duty and retired military members and their eligible dependents and certain civilians employed by the military overseas) is not available on commercial airlines; it is only available on military aircraft (most commonly USAF MAC - Military Airlift Command and some military charter aircraft. Many if not most by far depart and arrive from / at military bases. (The only exception I'm aware of is BWI.)
MAC? What year is this? FYI, SEA also sees significant charter operations. Like BWI, it's the CONUS origin/destination for Patriot Express rotator flights, where civilian aircraft are chartered to move military personnel/dependents on orders from SEA and BWI to Japan/Korea and Europe, respectively. If you look around the US CBP office at SEA where you do GE interviews, you'll find a USO that gets quite busy each night before a flight departs (at SEA, I believe departure is usually in the 3-4am range so that the plane gets to its first destination at the start of the day in Japan and Korea and still have time to make its subsequent stops before reversing the route back to SEA that next day/night).

Speaking as a former military dependent and soon-to-be guardsman, I'm of mixed opinions. One thing I am sure of--I don't think it's worth trying to handle space-a travel on FT; as others have noted, there are forums that already exist to cover that topic, and it's limited to what is probably a relatively small pool of FT members.

On the for-side of having a separate forum, it would be nice to have some way to easily compare benefits across airlines/hotels/whatever. It's definitely possible to go to each airline's forum and search for existing threads, but if there was a wiki for this sort of thing, where would it go? Maybe TravelBuzz? Additionally, for the things that aren't airline-specific--city-pair discussions, ticketing procedures, etc.--there's no particularly good place for them. TravelBuzz doesn't seem overly appropriate for this case, because you're dealing with a small set of topics, whereas TravelBuzz seems to be more one-off things, or big common discussions.

On the against-side, it does seem like the number of threads doesn't necessarily support the creation of a new forum. I can't say whether creating one would result in more traffic discussing those topics. Then's there also the concern of duplicating discussion of benefits in program X in either this forum, or program X's forum. I'd be curious to know if that sort of thing has ever been a concern before.