Search

Change "El Al Matmid" to "Airlines of Israel"

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2012, 9:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: Bates Motel Plat

I think TalkBoard should change the name and subjects of discussion of the El Al Matmid Forum to "Airlines of Israel".

For a start (and this is true with every forum) only a small percentage of the threads actually discuss the FF program. Many more discuss seats, food, meetings at the King David Lounge, and various other aspects of flying El Al.

However, there really is no logical place to discuss Arkia, Israir, or Sun d'Or (the latter being an El Al subsidiary). These do not really have FF programs but those who fly El Al would find themselves (at times) better served by one of these three.
Old May 21, 2012, 9:22 am

Programs: Miles and more Senator, Matmid Silver, AAdvantage GLD, Starwood

Agreed
Old May 21, 2012, 12:48 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Shouldn't it properly be Israel-based Airlines?

That would be consistent with Hawaii-based Airlines, India-based Airlines and Russia/CIS-based Airlines.

After all, we would not want to resurrect this discussion.
Old May 21, 2012, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TWA884
Shouldn't it properly be Israel-based Airlines?

That would be consistent with Hawaii-based Airlines, India-based Airlines and Russia/CIS-based Airlines.

After all, we would not want to resurrect this discussion.
I have absolutely no problem with calling it "Israel-based Airlines".
Old May 21, 2012, 9:06 pm

Programs: HH Silver
It's the CD, not TB, that can affect forum name changes as has been covered in several other name change requests including this one:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...-vs-forum.html

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
please send a note to the forum mods and me. If they are in agreement, I am in agreement and will make the change.
Old May 21, 2012, 9:34 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by tcook052
It's the CD, not TB, that can affect forum name changes as has been covered in several other name change requests including this one:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...-vs-forum.html
You've mentioned that 2x now & it's not totally accurate. TB has voted on forum name changes before & it does fall under TB mandate. Check the TV voting results/decision thread; there are a few in the last couple of years.

Having said that, some are minor enough that the Community Director can affect a change - if there isn't an issue re: the change, & therefore it's up in the air on whether it requires a full court press by TB to get it sorted.

Having said that, bringing it up in this forum gives FTers the opportunity to give their pros/cons on a name change & allows both TB & the Community Director the opportunity to peruse both in a single thread vs. multiple PMs.

While I'm responding to this in this thread, it's actually true of any forum name change & not meant to be singling out this request.

PS - regarding the link you mention above, you forgot this part. "This turned out to be more ambiguous than I anticipated. We (Jenbel, The_Banking_Scot) and I did settle on the proposed name change but apparently the proper name is the one that was in use."

Cheers.
Old May 22, 2012, 1:24 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

I don't see this being proposal to just change a forum name, rather it is also to extend the current scope of the existing EL AL forum.

Originally Posted by Dovster
However, there really is no logical place to discuss Arkia, Israir, or Sun d'Or (the latter being an El Al subsidiary). These do not really have FF programs but those who fly El Al would find themselves (at times) better served by one of these three.
I'm not clear on this. We have a forum called Other Middle East and Africa Frequent Flyer Programs. Is this not a logical home for Arkia, Israir et al?
Old May 22, 2012, 3:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Prospero
I don't see this being proposal to just change a forum name, rather it is also to extend the current scope of the existing EL AL forum.
Yes, that is exactly right.

Originally Posted by Prospero
I'm not clear on this. We have a forum called Other Middle East and Africa Frequent Flyer Programs. Is this not a logical home for Arkia, Israir et al?
It would make much more sense to package the Israeli airlines together in one forum. Sun d'Or, for example, in addition to providing charter flights, also serves as a fictional way for El Al to provide flights on Friday nights and Saturdays.

Arkia offers package deals that El Al does not, and goes to destinations that El Al does not serve (as well as flies on the Sabbath). Israir is a low(er) cost competition for El Al.

All, however, are subject to the same security checks in both directions as LY, so if someone in the States wants to know what to face on Israir when going through Security, the El Al Forum regulars would be the ones who could fill him in.

If a non-Israeli is going to fly one of these airlines to Israel and wants to know about ground transportation to/from Ben Gurion Airport, he is more likely to received informed information on the El Al Forum than he would on the Middle East/Africa Forum.

Which airline -- El Al or one of the others -- best suits your needs? The answer will easiest to get on the El Al Forum.

Keep in mind that the entire country of Israel has a population smaller than that of many cities. This not only means that Israelis are pretty much familiar with what happens here but that unlike the US, which has many different airlines, Israel only has a handful and putting them together in a single forum would not overcrowd it.
Old May 30, 2012, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Is there any progress on this (one way or the other)?
Old May 30, 2012, 10:04 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Dovster
Is there any progress on this (one way or the other)?
I think a # of us have been traveling lately or on holiday.

I've got no problem w/ it being changed to Israel-based Airlines (to keep it consistent w/ the other ones that have been switched to XX-based), unless there's an outcry against making that change.

Cheers.
Old May 31, 2012, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by yyzzrh
Agreed
Me, too. I agree as well. They will have change the title from El Al to Airlines Of Israel. This is very good idea.
Old May 31, 2012, 10:27 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
No issues from me in changing the name
Old May 31, 2012, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by goalie
You don't think rename the title Airlines of Israel? There is lots of airlines in Israel. Israir Airlines, Arkia Israel Airlines, Sun d'Or International Airlines and El Al Israel Airlines, too.

You can find the list which the Airlines of Israel is on wipka page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_airlines_of_Israel
Old Jun 1, 2012, 10:02 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
I think that the current situartion is fine. Don't see the need for a change. If there must be a change, I would suggest it to be to "EL AL Matmid and other Israel-based airlines". Otherwise I think it will be not be obvious enough.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 10:09 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by N830MH
Originally Posted by goalie
You don't think rename the title Airlines of Israel? There is lots of airlines in Israel. Israir Airlines, Arkia Israel Airlines, Sun d'Or International Airlines and El Al Israel Airlines, too.

You can find the list which the Airlines of Israel is on wipka page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_airlines_of_Israel
No, I am in favor of changing the name (and my bad for a poor post )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.