FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TalkBoard Topics (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkboard-topics-382/)
-   -   Farewell, Thanks & I'll Still Be Around... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkboard-topics/1634110-farewell-thanks-ill-still-around.html)

SkiAdcock Dec 4, 2014 9:14 am

Farewell, Thanks & I'll Still Be Around...

My tenure as TB Prez and TB member has ended. I was going to post this in the private forum as final thoughts, but since a new Prez has been elected* my access ended just before I could post it, so figured I'd post in the public forum as I know TB members read the public threads. * New TB Prez & VP will be announced once the election for new VP has concluded.

"Just a quick note (well, actually not that quick LOL) to say farewell & thanks. I’ve been a TB member for 4 years, VP for 2 & Prez for 1. It’s been a great honor & privilege to have served with so many good TB members over the years, past & present. I wish the current TB much success during the coming year (well, all TB members success as long as TB continues; why limit it to just you all!).

During my tenure on TB we voted on 49 motions, and I think contributed greatly to FT with the changes we made (or didn’t make in some instances). Some of the items were ‘hot button’ ones; others not so much. Some we agreed on almost immediately (no, I’m not talking fast voting); some we needed a lot more time to discuss & hash out, both in the private & the public forum. Some went smoothly; some got heated (in both forums). But above all, we did what we did with hopes that it would make FT a better place for those interested in travel in all its manifestations.

FT has come a long way since it was founded and is now one of the major travel bulletin boards with over 530,000 members and forums that address so many aspects of travel and help so many. That’s something that Randy (founder), the current CommunityDirector (sandiego1K), IB and all of us, FTers and TB members, can be proud. I have great hopes that it will continue to be so, and still intend to do my share in giving back by posting in regular forums & in the public TB forums (you can’t get rid of me that easily :D).

A few things I would say to new TB members and perhaps as a reminder to those who already have a term or part of one under their belt…

* Read the guidelines. Get familiar with how TB actually operates. Read prior threads in both the public & private forums to get familiar with past & current issues. Do your homework.

* Realize that because FT has matured and a lot of issues/forums/hot button items have been dealt with that there may not be as many motions or activities in years past – and that’s ok. Don’t generate items simply for the sake of doing so. Activity for activity's sake alone doesn't make sense. Respond to those that do need your attention and realize some won’t.

* If asked is TB still necessary given it’s not as busy, the answer is yes. FTers still need a forum where they can suggest ideas that they think will help improve FT and a forum to complain about things they think aren’t working or need tweaking. TB serves more of a town hall function now, although we are still responsible and will take action on items brought up in the town hall. It also helps the CommunityDirector, as we serve a synthesizing function. We absorb & debate the input and make recommendations if/when needed. She does follow TB threads, but by us being the ones that are on the front line that frees up part of her time to deal with FT overall.

* Develop a thick skin. Some FTers will like what we say & do. Some won’t. It goes with the territory. Treat FTers with civility even if they don’t extend the same courtesy to you.

* When considering items try to look at the bigger picture of, will this help make FT a better bulletin board for our members? If something is suggested & it might not be something you want or believe is necessary, try to keep an open mind & listen to the input of FTers & other TB members. Ultimately you have to use your best personal judgment as well as taking in the input from others & it may or may not be what others want, but don’t automatically dismiss something because it’s not of use to you or you disagree with someone else/might not like them.

* And the biggest item – PARTICIPATE. If there has been one consistent criticism of TB over the years, it’s that only a few participate in the public forum (and kudos to those that do). The guidelines say TB members are not required to do so, but I can’t think of a reason why one wouldn’t participate with one’s constituents. No that does not mean you have to respond to every single post on every single thread, but FTers want to know their TB members are engaged.

I would extend that to the private forum as well. TB members are required to participate in discussions in the private forum, but in my 4 years I’ve seen a few TB members basically vote or throw in the occasional joke but not really participate. My response is why run for TB if you’re not going to participate in both the public & the private forum. Being a TB member comes with responsibilities, not just a title.

Again, I have enjoyed serving as a TB member for the past 4 years & I look forward to having a bit more free time now that I’m termed out. But you’ll see me on the public TB forum. If you ever need to reach me I’m only a PM away. My very best wishes to you all.

Cheers.

bdschobel Dec 4, 2014 9:24 am

Thank you, Sharon! I have very much enjoyed serving with you during the past year and look forward to your continued input as a "regular" FlyerTalker. I hope to be a worthy successor!

Bruce

jackal Dec 4, 2014 9:57 am

^^ Very well said, and excellent advice for all TalkBoard members new and old!

Thanks for your service and enjoy your "retirement"! :)

Canarsie Dec 4, 2014 10:02 am

Thank you for volunteering your time to represent fellow members of FlyerTalk, Sharon...

...and I know you will still be around, as one does not have to be a member of TalkBoard to assist fellow FlyerTalk members...

tom911 Dec 4, 2014 10:06 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock (Post 23941515)
* And the biggest item – PARTICIPATE. If there has been one consistent criticism of TB over the years, it’s that only a few participate in the public forum (and kudos to those that do).

Fortunately for the membership, you were not one of the invisible Talk Board members. I'd go as far as saying that you have probably been the most visible Talk Board member in terms if interfacing with the members on the Talk Board forum, whether we agreed or disagreed with you, and your public posting about research you have done on various topics before the Talk Board showed how serious you were about the position - that clearly takes time. With some other Talk Board members not participating here, good luck trying to sort out where they might stand on any issue until the voting results are in - they've done all they're required to do. You carried the weight of others that don't participate here when you could have just as easily stayed on the sidelines yourself and used your time for other pursuits. That needs to be recognized.

Thank you for your service and very visible participation on the threads in the Talk Board forum. I, for one, enjoy interfacing with Talk Board members on the Talk Board forum. You set an example that other members should follow.

bhatnasx Dec 4, 2014 10:13 am

Thanks for all of your dedication & hard work, Sharon! You'll now have some time to relax, focus on your business, and hopefully travel more now! :)

goalie Dec 4, 2014 10:28 am

Originally Posted by jackal (Post 23941726)
^^ Very well said, and excellent advice for all TalkBoard members new and old!

Thanks for your service and enjoy your "retirement"! :)

I wholeheartedly agree, concur and give this a big redux! ^^^

Kagehitokiri Dec 4, 2014 10:36 am

brilliant TB tenure ^

Cholula Dec 4, 2014 10:44 am

It's been my distinct pleasure to have served with you, Sharon. See you in the forums.

nsx Dec 4, 2014 11:08 am

Sharon is the most diligent TalkBoard member I have ever seen. When she urges fellow TalkBoard members not to phone it in, she walks her talk. Yes, being elected to TalkBoard is an ego boost, but then you should earn it. She did.

I especially like Sharon's "no surprises" open communication. We always know where she stands and why. Open communication requires reflection (to intelligently form an opinion), effort (to communicate your opinion), and courage (to post your opinion in the face of opposition that is not always polite).

Sharon has set a benchmark that few future TalkBoard members will meet, but that we can all aspire to.

I hope we see her back on TalkBoard when she's decided that she's tired of vacation!

NewbieRunner Dec 4, 2014 11:32 am

Thanks, Sharon! In addition to being the FT Posting Legend you still have the 50k, 60k and 70k Post Clubs to aim for! ^

Mary2e Dec 4, 2014 11:40 am

Thank you Sharon. I've enjoyed you as a member of TB for the last 4 years. The new president has some pretty big shoes to fill ^^

SkiAdcock Dec 4, 2014 11:54 am

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner (Post 23942302)
Thanks, Sharon! In addition to being the FT Posting Legend you still have the 50k, 60k and 70k Post Clubs to aim for! ^

:eek: :D

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I think all those who have taken the time to serve in some capacity on FT deserve kudos.

The biggest change so far is not seeing the private TB forum pop up as the first forum in MyFlyertalk. Might take a bit of time to get used to that.

And hey, with the copious amounts of free time I'll now have, maybe I can get back to real-life work LOL.

Cheers.

CMK10 Dec 4, 2014 12:13 pm

Best of luck to you and thank you for your service. I can't say we always agreed, but the fact that you took your role as seriously as anyone could have, speaks volumes. You leave a hard act to follow and you certainly will be missed.

Canarsie Dec 4, 2014 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock (Post 23942440)
And hey, with the copious amounts of free time I'll now have, maybe I can get back to real-life work LOL.

...or perhaps finally get that $5.00 gift card for Starbucks about which you constantly refer.

Trivia: The current chief executive officer of Starbucks grew up in the same neighborhood in Brooklyn as I did. Can you guess the name of that neighborhood?