Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Close the Information desk forum

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2014, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I always do. But when a post sits for a few days I automatically assume someone has already reported it. I don't want to fill the mods mailboxes with unnecessary mail. Particularly if it's a trafficked formum such as ID. For the Disney forum, I report every post I see because it doesn't get much activity.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 3:31 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
I like the renaming idea

Originally Posted by Adam1222
I have proposed several specific changes.

1) The title "Information Desk" is a huge huge problem. it suggests "this is the place to come for information," not "this is the place to come for information about how to use Flyertalk. "
Be explicit in titling the forum as to what its for. "Questions About Using Flyertalk" There are two completely different purposes of the forum it seems: (1) "helping" new people and (2) crossprogram discussion. They should be in separate, appropriately titled fora.
2) add some bold lettered stickies. How about one titled "Where do I post my question about....?" and explain that there are airline and destination forums.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 4:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
And what would you rename it to if you were going to rename it?

Cheers.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by jackal
Fortunately, I've had the great help in the Information Desk forum from my fellow moderators scoow and especially aBroadAbroad, who deserves nothing but the community's utmost thanks for continuously making a Herculean effort to almost single-handedly keep the Information Desk forum from melting down. She truly is a gem, and without her persistence, I'm sure you'd all have voted to close the Information Desk down weeks ago.

Fortunately, I'm typing this from my new replacement laptop, which I just got turned on and running today <snip> I hope to be back to full-time moderation of the Information Desk forum by this time next week--which means back to making the Information Desk the best place for people to find resources to help them use FlyerTalk more efficiently and find the information they need to learn the ropes of miles, points, and travel.
Glad you're back up and running! Not envious of the related pain! Just wanted to say thank you to those of you moderating ID; you all do typically respond well to suggestions for moves,e tc.

Originally Posted by acvitale
I am a fan of the board and think that closing it would be well, Rather dramatic and remove a vehicle for newbies to post legitimate issues that they may otherwise not do in other forums where the responses can be pure flame.
Unfortunately, in some places, flames are often the response for new FTers. When new folks post in the ID, I try to direct them towards the appropriate threads...to be helpful.

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
You can lead a horse to water....

Cheers.
Originally Posted by Canarsie
FlyerTalk can be rather intimidating to use — especially to new members.

I agree with you that members should not be “conditioned to become lazy” — my words — in terms of where to properly post topics on FlyerTalk. I easily know where to post what on FlyerTalk; and I surmise that you do as well...

...but the primary purpose of the Information Desk forum is to welcome new members who might otherwise be too intimidated to post a question elsewhere on FlyerTalk; and they need a place to — shall we say — “get their feet wet” and become more familiar with the structure of FlyerTalk. The Information Desk forum seems to be a great place to start — along with the helpful moderators and members who regularly participate in that forum, volunteering their free time to assist fellow members of FlyerTalk.

Anyone who can think of a better way than the current Information Desk forum to acclimate new members to FlyerTalk is certainly welcome to post their thoughts here.
Agreed - in a place as large as FT, those who are familiar, myself included, may take it for granted at times. Scaring off new FTers may be scaring off great contributors in the long term.

And what would you rename it to if you were going to rename it?

Cheers.
Good question!
Old Mar 13, 2015, 11:35 am

Programs: US Silver, OW Ruby
I actually think that the Info Desk forum is an amazing resource, not only to encourage new members, but to de-clutter other forums from off-topic posting.

However, I don't think its currently set up in a way that encourages seasoned members to answer questions from new members, and in fact, discourages new members because of a general lack of response to inquiries.

Note, most of the posters for Info Desk post once and never return again.
This is true, but I don't think many people realize why this happens. Most posts either don't get answered, or get sent off to another board without a sufficient explanation, and that really discourages new members. I'm not a new member, but I've stopped trying to post questions on certain flyertalk boards because I know that I'm not going to get a response. If I post a question on the Info Desk board and don't get a response, what does that say about the rest of the forum?

We should not get rid of the board, but we definitely need to pivot and find something that works better.

SUGGESTIONS:

1. Make un-answered posts much easier to find. Tag any posts that do not yet have a sufficient response [UNANSWERED], and tag posts that do have a sufficient response [ANSWERED] (and maybe even lock them). This way, seasoned members don't have to go rooting through posts to find a place they can help out.

2. Similar to 1, break up long stickies into an [ANSWERED] (and possibly locked) thread, and an [UNANSWERED] thread.

3. Create some sort of badge seasoned posters can get from answering Info Desk posts. The Info Desk won't work unless we do everything possible to encourage seasoned members to check out the Info Desk forum and post answers there.

4. Stop moving posts! Having a post moved can be confusing to a new member, and does not address the unasked question of everyone who posts in the Information Desk Board ("How do I even use flyertalk in the first place? Where do I look for information?")

If, for example, someone posts the question "What is the best seat on a UA 777?", don't just move the question to the UA board. People won't recognize that the person is a new member, and individual airline boards might be a bit more hostile. I think simply linking to various resources (the seatguru link and the UA 777 thread), and adding a good explanation on HOW to use them, would be the best course of action. Then mark the thread as [ANSWERED], and after a few days, lock it to new posting.

The moderators cannot keep up with the prohibited/wrong place posts.
Not moving posts would significantly reduce this issue. Also, if there is too much spam, adding more moderators for this board, or maybe adding "janitors" to just delete spam/tag posts would be something to look into.

The posts that are in Information Desk can be categorized as follows:
(1) Requests for finding a cheap fare to XXX
(2) Requests for finding mileage redemptions to XXX
(3) Questions about flying airline ABC
(4) Questions about destination FGH or airport IJK
(5) People posting about their businesses
(6) I am "new" and want to learn how to "travel hack"
(7) What mileage program should I join.
(8) Complaints about airline ABC or website XYZ
(9) Requests for basic information that can be found on Google or are the subject of very detailed threads on Flyertalk
5 is spam and can be swiftly deleted.

Everything else can be answered simply with links to where the information can be found, with a STRONG emphasis on HOW to look up this information by ones' self in the future.

tl;dr, Librarians exist for a reason. Librarians are a SINGLE point of contact to direct users to the most appropriate place to find information. They help with research, and can help direct people on where to look, even if that just means telling someone to Google it. They encourage people to use the library, and make it seem like an inviting space.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 12:26 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Thank you for posting your suggestions, usAir — but the implementation of them is under the purview of the moderators of that forum and not of members of the TalkBoard...

...and I am still not in favor of closing the Information Desk forum. Rather, it should continue to be improved.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 1:21 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thank you for posting your suggestions, usAir — but the implementation of them is under the purview of the moderators of that forum and not of members of the TalkBoard...
Perhaps usAir or a TB member can PM the mods of the ID forum w/ a link to his post. There are suggestions they may wish to consider.

Cheers.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 1:25 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Note that usAir also made a recent post in the sticky thread in the Information Desk forum where moderators request suggestions to improve the forum. I was about to suggest that usAir post similar comments over there.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 1:26 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Perhaps usAir or a TB member can PM the mods of the ID forum w/ a link to his post. There are suggestions they may wish to consider.
And some I hope they don't such as the suggestion to stop moving threads as ID was not meant as a replacement for existing forums and so topics that belong elsewhere should be moved.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 1:30 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by tcook052
And some I hope they don't such as the suggestion to stop moving threads as ID was not meant as a replacement for existing forums and so topics that belong elsewhere should be moved.
^

Thank you! +1! The most frustrating thing you can have on an informational bulletin board is the information scattered in various places. Very frustrating to have the same topic being discussed in multiple forums.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by tcook052
Originally Posted by cblaisd
^

Thank you! +1! The most frustrating thing you can have on an informational bulletin board is the information scattered in various places. Very frustrating to have the same topic being discussed in multiple forums.
I think the point wasn't that the Info Desk should host all conversation locally, it was that the Info Desk thread should primarily consist of responses that direct the poster where they can best find the answer to their question, after which the thread is closed/locked and the poster can proceed with asking their question in the correct forum.

I envision it like this:

Newbie: What is United's lost and found policy?
FT Member #1: The United forum has some discussion on this topic; you might want to search there.
FT Member #2: Check out this thread and post there if your question is not answered.
Moderator: Since folks have successfully directed the OP to the right resource to get his/her question answered, we'll go ahead and close this thread. Any additional questions can be asked in the forums/threads mentioned above.

That would actually make the Information Desk work out more like a real airport information desk than it is currently.

The problem is, I don't think all of the responses will be like the ones I made up above. You're going to get a lot of FlyerTalk members actually answering the question rather than simply directing the OP where to get his/her question answered, and now we're back to the conundrum of whether to host that in the Info Desk or just move it to the appropriate forum, and if we do the latter, then that's pretty much what we're already doing.

That said, I have long had a small bit of worry about the confusion that ensues for newbies whose posts have been moved, so making the standard procedure something that avoids that is something I'm definitely interested in exploring. (And unless we triple the number of mods in the Info Desk forum, it's not really feasible to PM the OP every single time we move a thread.)
Old Mar 13, 2015, 8:47 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
I guess I'm not getting the angst over the "my post was moved" thing. Unless a moderator moves a post with no-redirect, there is still a link in exactly the same forum where op posted it.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 9:25 pm

Respectfully, I would like to know the purpose of this forum? If I can't find where the "airline and car rental promo and codes" why would I come here for you to send me back to the same car rental forum where some advanced nuts don't want to answer you and if they do its disrespectful meaning that when you defend yourself on here you will be blocked off of here b/c one of their long-time moderator friends and others see it their way even though they know that their wrong. Absolutely ridiculous.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 8:29 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by mommafrica
Respectfully, I would like to know the purpose of this forum?
The purpose of the Information Desk forum is to tell you where to find information on Flyertalk. If have already looked in one or more forums be sure to mention the specifics when you ask in Information Desk. (Useful specifics would be the names of the forums, search terms used. threads found.)

If you cannot find the information in the forum to which you are directed, ask the moderator of that forum for assistance by using the Alert icon in the lower left corner of a post in the thread where you expected to find it -or- through the PM system.

If you are not satisfied by the service provided by a moderator you should contact the Community Director, as explained in this rule:

http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules....deratoractions

Last edited by mia; Mar 14, 2015 at 8:36 am
Old Mar 14, 2015, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?

...and I am still not in favor of closing the Information Desk forum. Rather, it should continue to be improved.
This. Unequivocally this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.