Wiki Posts
Search

Close the Information desk forum

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2014, 5:35 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by jackal
Originally Posted by Adam1222
As to the question why do I care, you could make the same argument about any post on Flyertalk. Because I want to make Flyertalk better, because I think there *should* be a forum for cross-program discussion, but I don't think it should be the same as the Imanewbiesoiposteverythinghere forum.
Makes sense, and that's a valid argument. But it's histrionic to demand the Information Desk be closed only to reopen something that's the Info Desk minus the cross-program discussion. It would make much more sense to suggest that cross-program discussion be moved out of Info Desk, leaving Info Desk to be the "How to use FlyerTalk" forum.

Finally, because information is more accessible to everyone when all Delta questions and answers are in the Delta forum, all Dubai questions and answers are in the Middle East forum, etc.
As a moderator of the forum in question, I don't disagree. We hemmed and hawed over this when the forum first opened but ultimately decided that topics that clearly belong in one of the other topic-specific forums would be moved there rather than kept in the "flame-free newbie incubator" or whatever you want to call it. If you find threads that you believe should be moved and find they have not been moved, you are very much welcome to RBP them and suggest as much and there's a very good chance they will be moved.

I will take this opportunity to post a bit of a mea culpa for not being good about responding to RBPs as of late. Between a very long stretch of overseas travel (over two months) and a few things such as my laptop and passport getting stolen, dealing with rental car damages (the car was broken into), and other challenges, I've been significantly less available online than I usually am (or, frankly, than a moderator should be). Fortunately, I've had the great help in the Information Desk forum from my fellow moderators scoow and especially aBroadAbroad, who deserves nothing but the community's utmost thanks for continuously making a Herculean effort to almost single-handedly keep the Information Desk forum from melting down. She truly is a gem, and without her persistence, I'm sure you'd all have voted to close the Information Desk down weeks ago.

Fortunately, I'm typing this from my new replacement laptop, which I just got turned on and running today, though I'm waiting for a few more Cyber Monday parts to arrive before being able to put it into full-time use. I hope to be back to full-time moderation of the Information Desk forum by this time next week--which means back to making the Information Desk the best place for people to find resources to help them use FlyerTalk more efficiently and find the information they need to learn the ropes of miles, points, and travel.
Thank you for your efforts.
As for the accusation of being histrionic, I didn't start this thread or demand anything be shut down. It's also a malapropism as I cant see how the word histrionic would apply to shutting down one poorly named forum and replacing it with two narrower ones.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 8:04 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by JerryFF
There was a reason why ID was created in the first place - Miles Buzz had been taken over by people asking advice on how to....

That problem has clearly been solved by ID. If you want to close ID, then you need to come up with another solution for the original problem that ID solved. You shouldn't just close ID without considering why it was created in the first place and finding an alternative to ID if you don't like it.

Remember, nothing is perfect - ID improved some things. I think we are better off with it than without it and unless you come up with another way to solvethe original problem, I don't think you should close it.
^ MB had become the catchment area for these kinds of posts. If one were to close the ID forum, the posts would still end up somewhere (probably back on MB), I guarantee it.

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Meh...

I think it is fine to have the flame free Info Desk, as it provides a place for the usual questions from relative novices. Seems like it also draws a lot of the spam, which can be quickly deleted from there without infecting the rest of FT, as well as a lot of the silly fare requests, which can be summarily dealt with similarly.

As long as the Info Desk Mods aren't running into insurmountable problems, I say leave it alone, or tweak it a bit. For those members who are annoyed by stuff posted in the forum, why not just ignore the forum or hide it? That way you don't have to deal with the "junk" anywhere.

Cheers,

Doc
Agreed, if it's so bothersome to some members, why bother reading it?

ID isn't perfect, very few things ever are, but it seems to be serving a purpose. Are there silly or non-value-added questions posted sometimes? Yes, but IMHO that happens on many of the regular forums as well. One can easily ignore a thread that isn't of interest. There are also good questions posted and people are engaging and answering things.

If the mods have issues with managing it, I'm sure they will speak up and/or advocate for whatever measures they feel will help.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 8:33 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
1) The title "Information Desk" is a huge huge problem.
This would be an argument for changing the name, not for closing the forum. Do I understand correctly that Questions about using FlyerTalk is your preferred name? I find it easier to compare specific alternatives.

Last edited by mia; Dec 3, 2014 at 8:50 am
Old Dec 3, 2014, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by mia
This would be an argument for changing the name, not for closing the forum. Do I understand correctly that Questions about using FlyerTalk is your preferred name? I find it easier to compare a specific alternatives.
Again, I did not start this thread so "Close the Information Desk forum is not my verbiage."

The name should reflect what the intended purpose is, but people don't seem to agree on the intended purpose.

"How to Use Flyertalk"
"I Don't Know Where to Post This"
"New to Miles, Points, and Travel Questions"
"Cross-Program Discussion"

Each would attract very different questions (rightfully so).
Old Dec 3, 2014, 8:52 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
...people don't seem to agree on the intended purpose.
That's why we are having a discussion. I am trying to pin down the new title that you propose, not anyone else.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 10:21 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Again, I did not start this thread so "Close the Information Desk forum is not my verbiage."

The name should reflect what the intended purpose is, but people don't seem to agree on the intended purpose.

"How to Use Flyertalk"
"I Don't Know Where to Post This"
"New to Miles, Points, and Travel Questions"
"Cross-Program Discussion"

Each would attract very different questions (rightfully so).
Historically, information desks (think at airports) are where you go to ask questions, I think the name already reflects that.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 10:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by CMK10
Historically, information desks (think at airports) are where you go to ask questions, I think the name already reflects that.
As do I and would expect a name change would only serve to further confuse members new and not-so-new alike.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 12:19 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA-EXP/DL-Diamond/UA-100K/Hyatt-Globalist/Hilton-Diamond/Marriott-Titanium - Many more....
I am a fan of the board and think that closing it would be well, Rather dramatic and remove a vehicle for newbies to post legitimate issues that they may otherwise not do in other forums where the responses can be pure flame.

My attitude is if you do not like it then you dont need to visit.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 12:55 pm

Hard to get more explicit than a sticky that says:
Right but just because it's there in your face doesn't mean people will actually read it before posting things that don't belong there...(like on an unrelated note there are experienced FTers who participate in Secret Santa who choose not to read instructions)
Old Dec 3, 2014, 12:59 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by steveman518
Right but just because it's there in your face doesn't mean people will actually read it before posting things that don't belong there...(like on an unrelated note there are experienced FTers who participate in Secret Santa who choose not to read instructions)
You can lead a horse to water....

Cheers.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Boy. By reading this thread, you'd think that ID (information desk) is swamped with questions. Let's face it, ID is a good place for new folks to ask questions. The Mods do a good job of redirecting the thread to the correct forum. I don't see what all the fuss is about. If anything, it's the Mods that should be complaining.

If new posters see this forum at the top, it helps to allievate the regular forum clutter, especially in certain unfriendly (not my words) forums.

I like the Info Desk forum, I agree it's still not perfect, but it's at least become a clearing house for the threads that used to clutter up Miles Buzz! and made that forum easier to navigate. It's also a good way for new members to get their feet wet in Flyertalk. I think the Mods are doing a great job transferring threads and pointing people in the right direction as need be.
Agreed.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 2:48 pm

Close the Information desk forum

ok. the info desk will stay a complete mess. Because well for no good reason.

my last point is can we drop the inane comparison to an airport info desk. Because most people know that you don't, for example, go to the "Information Desk" at an airport to ask about your Delta seat assignment, complain about a baggage few, or ask how to find a cheap flight home.
The attitude here seems to clearly be that the reason for the Info Desk is to serve as a place for new people to post any question they have, regardless of whether it is answered in detail elsewhere on Flyertalk. That doesn't sound like an "info desk" or a place for "crossprogram" questions, but "Flyertalk for Dummies/Lazies".
may your forum continue to be full of spam, people who don't use google, and people who think Flyertalk is a travel agency.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 2:55 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
ok. the info desk will stay a complete mess. Because well for no good reason.
If you could use just a little more hyperbole that would be great
Old Dec 3, 2014, 2:59 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
may your forum continue to be full of spam, people who don't use google, and people who think Flyertalk is a travel agency.
We understand you're not happy with the current ID forum. But it's a bit disappointing that the above is the wish you send to your fellow FTers.

Cheers.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 8:35 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

The attitude here seems to clearly be that the reason for the Info Desk is to serve as a place for new people to post any question they have, regardless of whether it is answered in detail elsewhere on Flyertalk. That doesn't sound like an "info desk" or a place for "crossprogram" questions, but "Flyertalk for Dummies/Lazies".
FlyerTalk can be rather intimidating to use — especially to new members.

I agree with you that members should not be “conditioned to become lazy” — my words — in terms of where to properly post topics on FlyerTalk. I easily know where to post what on FlyerTalk; and I surmise that you do as well...

...but the primary purpose of the Information Desk forum is to welcome new members who might otherwise be too intimidated to post a question elsewhere on FlyerTalk; and they need a place to — shall we say — “get their feet wet” and become more familiar with the structure of FlyerTalk. The Information Desk forum seems to be a great place to start — along with the helpful moderators and members who regularly participate in that forum, volunteering their free time to assist fellow members of FlyerTalk.

Anyone who can think of a better way than the current Information Desk forum to acclimate new members to FlyerTalk is certainly welcome to post their thoughts here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.