Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Change the name of the "Russia-based airlines" forum

Change the name of the "Russia-based airlines" forum

Old Dec 13, 2014, 2:41 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
I agree the forum is poorly named. However, I'm not sure I understand why these airlines need a separate forum in the first place (forgive me for not yet having read through the thread that preceded its creation).

Discussions of the countries in question currently take place in the Europe, Asia or Middle East destination forums, seemingly without any problems — is there a reason that the same approach is/was insufficient or inappropriate in reference to the airlines associated with those countries?
Old Dec 13, 2014, 3:01 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by aBroadAbroad
... I'm not sure I understand why these airlines need a separate forum in the first place (forgive me for not yet having read through the thread that preceded its creation).
These are the 2 earlier threads that got the discussion from Aeroflot to Russia-based airlines forum since 2010:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...lot-forum.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...lot-forum.html
Old Dec 13, 2014, 4:56 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by lewinr
It seems that people who are very far from this region and perhaps have never visited it at all are trying to decide for the people who live in the region and/or frequently visit how they should understand their region.

People are not very fond of the "former soviet union" name... the Soviet Union ended 23 years ago and people want to move forward. On top of that, it opens the question of the Baltics who were part of the Soviet Union but are now much more closely integrated with Europe and Scandinavia.

yes, you missed mine which already has one person who endorsed it: "Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, Central Asia and Caucuses Airlines".

Maybe TB should consider a restructuring which I am sure that people living and travelling in this region will find both understandable and convenient... that all airlines from this region are in one place.
Interesting slip - seems like we have had caucuses about similar issues before, though perhaps not discussed the Caucasus.

This recommendation sounds very forced to me; nobody else seems to commonly acknowledge such a geographical bloc, so I'm unsure on why FlyerTalk would?

I tend to agree with those that side with geography, not geopolitics, in deciding such issues, modulated by a quantum of airlines to decide whether a nation should be threaded out of the area description.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
Interesting slip - seems like we have had caucuses about similar issues before, though perhaps not discussed the Caucasus.
Oops. Yes, I mean the Caucasus.

Originally Posted by JDiver
This recommendation sounds very forced to me; nobody else seems to commonly acknowledge such a geographical bloc, so I'm unsure on why FlyerTalk would?

I tend to agree with those that side with geography, not geopolitics, in deciding such issues, modulated by a quantum of airlines to decide whether a nation should be threaded out of the area description.
It is a commonly acknowledged geographic block... the former Soviet Union, minus the Baltics. But it is neither about geography nor geopolitics... it is about user interface design, convenience and expectations. The number of posts regarding Ukraine, Kazakhstan, etc in the forum confirms that people use it as the convenient location to discuss such airlines because that reflects the reality of the region. Let's have the name be consistent with the use.

Hopefully some other posters from the forum will add their opinions...
Old Dec 14, 2014, 2:35 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Indeed it is a commonly acknowledged geographic block.

"Russian and other (non-EU) airlines from the former USSR" is what I would suggest. It would best represent use of airlines and the forums as it takes place.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 10:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Bumping this up because I think it's something that should get sorted. Not supportive of a new forum, but do think we need to have a more accurate classification. Also I understand having standardized naming for forums, but don't think the naming guideline should be adhered to so strictly that we try to fit the forum to match the name vs. the other way around.

Cheers.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 6:33 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Indeed it is a commonly acknowledged geographic block.

"Russian and other (non-EU) airlines from the former USSR" is what I would suggest. It would best represent use of airlines and the forums as it takes place.
This could become confusing as parts of the former USSR join the EU. It also might be taken to suggest that the Other European Airlines forum is for airlines from EU member (or provisional member or whatever the status is called?) countries only.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Jan 14, 2015 at 9:46 am Reason: typo
Old Jan 14, 2015, 7:53 am

this is why I think my more specific proposal of "Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, Central Asia and Caucasus Airlines" may be better. And I don't think anybody from this list will be joining the EU within the next 20 years...

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 27, 2015 at 11:58 am Reason: Typo correction, lest it be Institutionalized on FT
Old Jan 14, 2015, 9:48 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
this is why I think my more specific proposal of "Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, Central Asia and Caucasus Airlines" may be better. And I don't think anybody from this list will be joining the EU within the next 20 years...
What about the rest of the former USSR, such as the Baltic States? Would they go with Europe?

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 27, 2015 at 11:58 am
Old Jan 14, 2015, 10:36 am

Yes, the Baltic states (Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia) as EU members are the only former Soviet Union countries not included in the territory I've defined. It is logical they should be in Europe.

(Many people define the same territory as "Former Soviet Union excluding the Baltics" and I think I may have even proposed that earlier for the forum name. But I think what I propose now is better since it more explicitly defines the territory rather than relying on "Soviet Union" which people often confuse and include countries such as Poland and Bulgaria into. Yes, I realize I've ended that sentence with a preposition... )
Old Jan 14, 2015, 11:24 am

However, if EU membership is the criterion for inclusion in the Other Europe fora (regular and budget carriers), then we should remember that not all of "western Europe" as usually defined belongs to the EU.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 2:19 pm

Programs: ALL Accor Platinum
the Baltic states (Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia) as EU members are the only former Soviet Union countries not included in the territory I've defined.
Actually, there is also Moldova.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 8:00 am

Just wondering - has anyone from TB posted a heads up in the Russia-based Airlines forum with a link to this thread? Might get more input from those who frequent the forum the most.

Cheers.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 8:35 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Just wondering - has anyone from TB posted a heads up in the Russia-based Airlines forum with a link to this thread? Might get more input from those who frequent the forum the most.

Cheers.
Yes, because you asked me to do it six weeks ago. What's the Flyertalk standard phrase...do a search?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23986860-post26.html
Old Jan 30, 2015, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by CMK10
Yes, because you asked me to do it six weeks ago. What's the Flyertalk standard phrase...do a search?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23986860-post26.html
The other Flyertalk standard phrase is "FT search sucks". It didn't come up when I did a search or I wouldn't have posted my question Perhaps bumping it up since you posted six weeks ago might come in handy if needing more input from those who frequent/fly in that region. I know when we were considering the forum I depended on input from others more familiar with it.

Cheers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.