Reload this Page >

Close the recently created Premium Deals Forum

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 11, 2014, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost to update; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

BACKGROUND TO THIS DISCUSSION: The motion to establish a Premium Fare Deals subforum under the Mileage Run Deals forum was passed 23 October 2014.

The thread discussing TalkBoard's consideration and implementation of the new forum can be read here: Should Premium Fare deals get its own forum?

Extract from the Motion Passed: Creation of a Premium Fare Deals Subforum thread:

Motion Passed: Creation of a Premium Fare Deals subforum

Moved by kokonutz and seconded by jason8612:

"The TalkBoard recommends to the Community Director the creation of a subforum called 'Premium Fare Deals' in the Mileage Run Deals forum."

Forum description:

"Discuss specific premium fare code 'good deals' including fare deals that book into premium economy, business and first class cabins. Once any fare expires, the title should be changed to note '[fare expired]'."

The new forum can be visited here: Premium Fare Deals
Print Wikipost

Close the recently created Premium Deals Forum

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2014, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
For what it's worth, I used to check the old Good Deal Premium Fares thread multiple times daily and received instant notifications for all new posts because the signal-to-noise ratio was so high ... and I posted when I had something meaningful to contribute.

Now I don't even bother checking the premium fares forum. New discussion posts in old threads bumps them to the top of the forum making it difficult to parse through truly new opportunities vs. new discussion on existing opportunities. There's also no good way to get instant notification of new threads (as the RSS solution is often delayed several hours). The forum is pretty useless to me now so I share the deals that I find outside of FlyerTalk.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 2:26 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Though we encourage even vigorous differences of opinion, and are loath to delete posts or otherwise intervene, we must insist the Rules be followed and differences of opinion made respectfully and devoid of ad hominem.

TalkBoard studies the issues, reads members' posts and votes in good faith. Calling a vote a farce or calling out other members is never acceptable, though stating disagreement in a context of debate and mutual respect is.

Thanks.

JDiver
Senior Moderator

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 15, 2014 at 3:20 pm Reason: Typoe
Old Nov 15, 2014, 3:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by CokeandTaco
At the request of Forum Moderators I will create this new thread.

*This thread has nothing to do with the actual creation of the new forum (or past Talkboard discussions of this topic. This thread is about discussion to close the new forum.*

Per the Forum guidelines:
The following are qualitative criteria that the TalkBoard believes are useful to consider when evaluating proposals to create, close, split, or move forums. Whenever a forum change is discussed on the TalkBoard Topics, the TalkBoard encourages posters to fully address these criteria in addition to any other reasons supporting or opposing the change.

1. Will the forum be (or is it now) beneficial to FlyerTalk?

-The newly created forum does little to improve on the existing structure (established by years of hard work by FT members). The old thread was beneficial because it maximized the "signal" over the "noise". The signal is the actual posting of fares. The noise is everything else associated with the reading/understanding of the posted fares.

2. Will the new forum benefit a relationship with FlyerTalk? E.g., does the forum provide value for FT members, such as a friendly ear highly placed in the company.

-N/A

3. Is FT the best place to discuss this subject?

-Yes, the Premium fares posted here are a great asset to FT and its membership.

4. Is there a passionate following? This is essential in order to provide dedicated expert helpers to get questions answered.

Yes. The actively participating members are highly knowledgeable, passionate, and very willing to help others.

5. Is a critical mass of posts and readers anticipated or existing? We need adequate traffic to keep everyone visiting frequently. One living forum is more valuable than two mostly dead ones.

The old single GDPF (Good Deal Premium Fare) thread was an excellent thread for posting/finding Premium Fares on the MR board.

6. Is this the best place on FlyerTalk for this subject? This is the classification issue. The answer depends primarily on achieving and maintaining critical mass. It also depends on whether or where the discussion might (or does) occur in the absence of the forum.

-Premium Fares do not need an entire forum. The best Premium fares are also MR deals and should not be separated from the existing MR Forum. Most of the discussion that occurs should be going on in the existing airline threads. The GDPT was the place to post good premium deals.

7. For proposals to split a forum, is the split expected to improve the signal to noise ratio? Why?

-N/A

---------------------------------------------

This new forum should be closed. It is not an improvement over the existing structure that was already in place. These ideas have not been requested, but I will propose them because I believe they may actually improve the posting/reading/finding of Premium Fares on Flyertalk:

1.Make the Premium Deals Thread a sticky at the top of the MR forum.
-The thread will not travel down the page and will always be visible.
-It will have a place of prominence for posters and readers of deals.
-Premium fares can/will/are MR-able fares (the best ones certainly have been).
2. Create a new Premium Deal Discussion Thread sticky in the MR discussion forum.
-This will allow for the posting/moving of "noise". Questions/concerns/kudos etc.
-It could be like a "lounge" thread. Allowing general discussion.
3. Re-work/refresh the Wikis of both Premium threads (with input from mods/members etc.)
-This would clarify what belongs and does not belong in each thread.

The biggest issue of the old thread was "noise". The creation of this new forum has only allowed the posting of "noise" to grow uncontrolled. Little has occurred to improve the "signal", which IMO was the most important thing with the old thread.

The creation of a new forum has not been an improvement. I look forward to others comments and considerations. In the next few days, I will personally post links about this thread in the relevant threads/forums, and notify (by PM’s) Talkboard Members/Mods of this discussion (if this is not allowed, please let me know).

Thank you for reading this post.
CokeandTaco I appreciate you posting your thoughts here per the mod's request vs. continuing in the happy/sad thread & outlining your rationale for why you think the forum should be closed immediately, as this is the proper forum to do so.

Having said that I think it highly unlikely that the current TB or even the incoming TB after elections are over will vote to close a forum that has been open only a few weeks.

Normally forums are given a period of time (6 mths to a year) to perform/not perform before they're even considered for closing. I can't speak for all current or the incoming TB members but my guess is TB will do the same with this one in terms of time frame, short of some major problem.

Also, while you don't view the forum as an improvement others do, so any TB is going to consider both sides before making a decision to let a forum continue or to shutter it.

I'm a bit confused by what you mean about posting a link to this thread in the relevant threads/forums. You've already posted it in the happy/sad thread. Which other threads or forums would you post it in? I don't think you mean to post a link in every single fare thread, do you? I'm not sure your fellow FTers or mods would be ok with that. Sorry for my confusion, but I'm not sure what you mean.

Originally Posted by merrickdb
I disagree. It's a lot easier to find relevant fares--and whether those fares are even still valid--just by looking at thread titles than by having to wade through a massive thread with a bunch of fare rules and replies about other fares. The OP notes that premium deals should be treated like other MR threads. I agree. Other MR fares have their own threads and these should too.
Agree.

Originally Posted by Calchas
I agree with merrickdb and would oppose this motion.

My opinion on this has changed recently now that I've seen the new forum at work.
Thanks for the input and mentioning that your opinion changed after the forum went live. I know you were skeptical previously.

Originally Posted by rwoman
While there are those who are apparently unhappy with the Premium Deals forum, there are also those who are pleased with its creation.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premi...on-thread.html

@:-)
Agree.

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
only reason not to have a forum is to keep the fares somewhat less 'public'

having the forum makes them much more visible to general public

a number of people who posted in the thread said this in past discussions
The fares posted aren't mistake fares. No need to keep them hidden.

Originally Posted by skunker
Another TB member defending the farce. Please go read that thread before patting each other on the back.
There is no farce & no patting each other on the back. And your comment is rather offensive. Discussions & disagreements can be done civilly and are better for doing so.

In 2012, 2013, & 2014 TB was asked by FTers to consider creating a premium fares forum. Pros/cons were listed & some logistical questions. TB decided this year to create the forum after discussion in the private/public forum & reviewing the prior requests & comments (where the yeahs outweighed the nos). And yes, in the happy/sad thread that now exists in the new forum the happys still outnumber the sads.

Originally Posted by Maluku_Flyer
Not everyone is "unhappy". The new Forum should at least be given some time to work out the teething problems.

IMO it is way too early to state that the Forum has failed.
Agree.

And as I posted in the happy/sad forum.

The forum has been created, and while I understand some are not happy about it, others are glad it was created. Rather than us going back/forth I'd say let's wait and see how the guidelines get fleshed out by the mods & the CommunityDirector and move forward. I have faith in them & FTers that this will be a productive forum now & in the coming years.

skunker,

Should I say, "Thanks." for the accusatory tone?

Amazingly, I can read; I made a decision based on the feedback from FTers. Your displeasure with said decision is apparent.

There are many comments in the thread I referenced where FTers are happy about the creation of the forum, just as there are comments from others expressing their displeasure.

For the sake of those who visit this thread (regardless of their opinion), it seemed relevant to point out not everyone is displeased over the new forum.
Agree.

Originally Posted by skunker
Please direct me to the "feedback from FTers" that led you to vote yes while ignoring the multiple years of discussion which couldn't even lead to a motion being presented. kokonutz knew that if he got the motion presented to TB it would be passed. TB has a VERY high pass/fail ratio with most passing votes being unanimous.

Let an actual discussion take place, as has happened in the past.

My opinion: close down the forum, let a discussion take place, and if it passes establish the rules.
Re: your first. Read the discussion threads from 2012, 2013, 2014. I read them at the time & reread them before voting. While a motion wasn't made previously, it was this time. That's also occurred with other forums (ie, discussions went on over multiple years before a motion was finally made). If koko (or any TB member) wanted to do a motion (on any topic) they can do so at any time.

Yes, motions can pass unanimously. Not all do (and koko's been on the losing end a few times where something he wanted didn't get passed). But if they do it's because there has been discussion in both the private TB forum as well as the public thread, and any issues discussed and a consensus reached.

The motion did pass, the forum created, and the guidelines are being worked on by the mods & CommunityDirector. In fact jpdx asked for input from FTers re: some questions they had so they can make the forum work the best. Perhaps you have some input re: what jpdx mentioned in this post:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23843629-post271.html

Prior to the issue coming up last month, I spent little time there. Once the issue came up, I took a closer look at the forum/threads in question. Post count (limited or many posts) in a thread do not equal not being aware of what's being discussed.

I did consider kokonutz's comments, along with 18sas, tcook052, nsx, and others. Even in the older (2012-13) discussion there were those for/against a separate forum.
Agree.

And a FTer makes a very good point about contributing in this thread.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23842895-post265.html

Cheers.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Sykes
For what it's worth, I used to check the old Good Deal Premium Fares thread multiple times daily and received instant notifications for all new posts because the signal-to-noise ratio was so high ... and I posted when I had something meaningful to contribute.
Now I don't even bother checking the premium fares forum. New discussion posts in old threads bumps them to the top of the forum making it difficult to parse through truly new opportunities vs. new discussion on existing opportunities. There's also no good way to get instant notification of new threads (as the RSS solution is often delayed several hours). The forum is pretty useless to me now so I share the deals that I find outside of FlyerTalk.
Can't agree more. Not all change is good change.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 5:28 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Signal-to-noise ratio is the right concept here. The new forum has created far more noise than signal. Various posts for the same fare or same fare concept are now common. This could be alleviated with more stringent rule enforcement and awareness of said rules, but there weren't those rules with the premium fare thread, and we didn't run into that problem then.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 5:29 pm

Prior to the issue coming up last month, I spent little time there. Once the issue came up, I took a closer look at the forum/threads in question.
I guess I wasn't aware of the discussion of replacing the thread with a forum until it was already done. I would have commented had I been aware of it.

For people not following the thread regularly, it wasn't a great format, but it was intended to be used by people that followed the thread with instant notification, and it generally worked very well in that way. Like any large thread with lots of info (there's tons of them in different forums around here) new people need to catch up. The thread had a wiki that was helpful for new people, so really the unwieldy complaints are a bit out of line IMHO. Also unlike other large threads some of the deals were temporary in nature, so you really only needed to go back in the thread to understand discussions about some of the longer term deals like the BA/AARP discount deals which were probably also discussed elsewhere.

When something came up and it didn't last very long, we'd get notified about the activity in the thread instantly and if you were around, you wouldn't miss out. The subscribe option was open to anybody.

Active moderation removed any off-topic discussion and also removed larger fare discussions to their own thread with a link left behind in the old thread.

It worked very well, but we'd get notifications every time somebody posted to the thread as well, and also when moderators took action on the thread. In that respect it wasn't that great and we'd get too many "false positives". That was the only downside to it, but the positives tended to outweigh it.

I don't think there's any way to do the equivalent with the forum, You can subscribe to the forum and get either daily or weekly notification.

I know there's a lot of people who prefer not to have the single thread, but I don't think they were using it as intended and it worked well as intended and there's really no way to replace that as far as I can tell.

Anyway, I hope TB members can have an open mind about it and not immediately dismiss it either way. That seems counter intuitive to what TB members signed up for (and to be clear, that's not directed to you rwoman.)

and Sharon, IMHO, decisions should be re-visitable any time IMO, especially in cases like this where we've lost the ability to have instant notification for new deals, which is a huge negative.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Nov 15, 2014 at 5:35 pm
Old Nov 15, 2014, 5:33 pm

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Originally Posted by CMK10
We had a vote based on thorough thought and research and a large amount of support. There is still enough support to keep this forum open. It's also been open less than a month and it has a ton of activity, more than many other forums.
From everything I've been able to tell there was neither a lot of thought and research nor a lot of support. In particular, there was little discussion or solicitation of input from the users of the former thread, and it went from proposal to vote to implementation rapidly with little input and little preparation.

The noise to signal ratio in the new forum is high and while there is lots of activity there is not really as much useful information and a lot of redundancy.
This motion is premature and I will not vote yes on it.
Seems like a lot of TB made up their minds without much thought, information or experience. So you have your mind made up before there is even a motion.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 5:45 pm

Also, those that think there was a desire to "hide" the deals, just don't get it. There's none of that going on. All you had to do was follow the thread with instant notification and you would get the same notifications that everybody else got. That's how it was supposed to work and it did work. If you were interested in the topic you followed it. If not, you didn't. It wasn't a casual topic and wasn't intended to be.

The moderators there did a great job with it as well.

The forum just doesn't cut it.

-David
Old Nov 15, 2014, 6:12 pm

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
I used the old and now use the new. I have nothing against going back to the old but prefer the new for ease in reviewing comments and new posts. Since we have it, I think we should try to improve the benefits to those who feel it is a negative. At a certain point (mod choice), decide if it is better or a lost cause.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 6:22 pm

Programs: LH SEN, DL Plat
I found much more good premium deal since the new topic is here. As many of us is interested only in premium deals, it's good to have this new structure. Please don't close it.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 6:31 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Thanks for starting this thread, C&T, and for all of the posters participating in it.

I love the passion on all sides.

The advantage that the thread had over the forum was the subscription option for immediate notification. But it had many more downsides, including the inability to discuss details regarding the airlines the fares were offered on, the inability to check fares at a glance and lack of organization.

To me, the thing that made the thread work at all and not be a giant mess was strict rules and strict moderation to those rules. That's how we achieved high signal to noise ratio. Can you imagine what a mess that thread would have been without strict rules and moderation!?

What's missing so far in the new forum is strict rules and strict moderation to those rules.

But the CD and mods are working on those rules and their implementation. And, to their credit, are even seeking and accepting advice from posters as to what that moderation and enforcement ought to look like in the Happy/Sad thread.

Until there is some experience with a well moderated forum, I personally think it's premature to burn it down.

Last edited by kokonutz; Nov 15, 2014 at 6:40 pm
Old Nov 15, 2014, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sykes
I used to check the old Good Deal Premium Fares thread multiple times daily and received instant notifications for all new posts because the signal-to-noise ratio was so high ... and I posted when I had something meaningful to contribute.
As I recall, more than one fourth of the contributions in that thread were (ironically) complaints about the low signal to noise ratio.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 6:44 pm

Thanks for replying kokonutz ...

Originally Posted by kokonutz
The advantage that the thread had over the forum was the subscription option for immediate notification. But it had many more downsides, including the inability to discuss details regarding the airlines the fares were offered on, the inability to check fares at a glance and lack of organization.
details were always discussable in the thread or in a separate thread. When a separate thread was created for the discussion, mods or the thread creator left a link behind in GDPF.

Yes, moderation made it work, and it wasn't perfect, but it's much better than what we have now.

Until there is some experience with a well moderated forum, I personally think it's premature to burn it down.
There's no equivalent model for instant notification. I don't see TB being able to solve that.

As far as TB itself is concerned, the proposed action should have been posted in the thread before TB took action. That's why we're here now, but this discussion should have happened before the vote and it should have included the participants/users of the affected thread. (And, I have no doubt that opinion there would have been split also. It's just one of those things I guess. But regardless of the outcome, current participants would have had been able to express their opinion before the vote.)

Now you have TB members getting defensive about what they did and even one refusing to consider a motion that hasn't even been made yet.

That's a bigger problem for TB, isn't it? There isn't much TB has control over on FT, besides creating forums, and in this case the discussion didn't include the primary audience.

I'm certainly willing to see how it goes, except for the fact that there's no way to get instant notification of new deals now within the existing framework. And I don't necessarily want a notification of new posts to any thread either. That would just be too much noise.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Nov 15, 2014 at 7:03 pm
Old Nov 15, 2014, 6:58 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by CokeandTaco
---------------------------------------------

This new forum should be closed. It is not an improvement over the existing structure that was already in place. These ideas have not been requested, but I will propose them because I believe they may actually improve the posting/reading/finding of Premium Fares on Flyertalk:

1.Make the Premium Deals Thread a sticky at the top of the MR forum.
-The thread will not travel down the page and will always be visible.
-It will have a place of prominence for posters and readers of deals.
-Premium fares can/will/are MR-able fares (the best ones certainly have been).
2. Create a new Premium Deal Discussion Thread sticky in the MR discussion forum.
-This will allow for the posting/moving of "noise". Questions/concerns/kudos etc.
-It could be like a "lounge" thread. Allowing general discussion.
I also support closing this sub forum.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 7:03 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
details were always discussable in the thread or in a separate thread.

Yes, moderation made it work, and it wasn't perfect, but it's much better than what you have now.

There's no equivalent model for instant notification. I don't see TB being able to solve that.

As far as TB itself is concerned, the proposed action should have been posted in the thread before TB took action. That's why we're here now, but this discussion should have happened before the vote and it should have included the participants/users of the affected thread.

Now you have TB members getting defensive about they did and even one refusing to consider a motion that hasn't even been made yet.

That's a bigger problem for TB, isn't it? There isn't much you have control over on FT, besides creating forums, and in this case the discussion didn't include the primary audience.

-David
One of the biggest complaints about the thread was that people were subscribed to it, and anytime anyone posted ANYTHING that was not a new fare, the subscribers complained that they were getting needless notifications (I got yelled at for this myself on several occasions by subscribers).

Frankly, other than the notification issue, I don't see much wrong with the new forum. It could use a fare post format requirement and perhaps (just perhaps) some more aggressive merging.

Here's a thought: posters could agree to a convention where when they post a new fare thread they also voluntarily post the thread title (in a format proscribed by the mods) in the a sticky thread titled 'Notification thread' so that subscribers to that thread could get notification and then pop over to FlyerTalk and see what the fare is all about. There is more than one way to skin a cat. We could have our cake and eat it too. Insert more hoary cliches here.

ETA: I cross-posted this idea to the happy/sad thread for consideration by the forum mods there.

Last edited by kokonutz; Nov 15, 2014 at 7:11 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.