Wiki Posts
Search

Thoughts on a Non-Rev forum on FT?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2014, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by tcook052
I can't see why such topics cannot fit within existing airline forums.
Me either. Its not as if the threads are very common.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 1:02 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Wirelessly posted (LG G2: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.4.2; VS980 4G Build/KOT49I.VS98026A) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/38.0.2125.114 Mobile Safari/537.36)

Originally Posted by CDKing
Me either. Its not as if the threads are very common.
These threads are not common partly because of the overt hostility toward non-revs by a vocal minority of frequent flyers. When I run across such threads, I advise the OP's to ask their questions on forums frequented by airline employees.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 1:20 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Originally Posted by TWA884
Wirelessly posted (LG G2: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.4.2; VS980 4G Build/KOT49I.VS98026A) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/38.0.2125.114 Mobile Safari/537.36)
These threads are not common partly because of the overt hostility toward non-revs by a vocal minority of frequent flyers. When I run across such threads, I advise the OP's to ask their questions on forums frequented by airline employees.
I think a lot of the reason these threads are not common and only one poster seems interested is that there are lots of places other than FT where these discussions already exist. Here is just small sampling:
http://nonrev.net
http://www.talkairline.com
http://www.airlineforums.com/
http://www.pprune.org/
http://www.cabincrew.com/
http://www.airlinepilotforums.com/
Old Nov 6, 2014, 6:01 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
I'm a bit torn on which side to go with.

In one view, having a airline employee forum would be very cool. As BostonFlyer1624 pointed out, a forum like this would not only allow employees to talk to each other and also to customers, but they could gain a huge insight into the FF community. I doubt many know or have even heard of FT let alone know of our obsession on flying. It would also allow for FTers to ask questions to the employees (which hopefully would be flame-free).

But at the other point, I'm unsure of the legal standpoint. I'm not sure if some carriers ban their employees from releasing any company information (such as info on the buddy pass, discounts, new memos, etc) and all it can take is one bad post and a airline company can have an issue against FT (or in that matter that FTer).
Old Nov 6, 2014, 6:24 pm

As a former nonrev I would never use this forum to get or pass on info in regards to nonrev travel, as every airline I have worked for was very clear to keep all aspect of nonrev travel quiet and not advertise the specifics. I personally don't believe any nonrev talk has any place here for that reason and he fact it would never be flame free.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 6:43 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by industry_killer
As a former nonrev I would never use this forum to get or pass on info in regards to nonrev travel, as every airline I have worked for was very clear to keep all aspect of nonrev travel quiet and not advertise the specifics. I personally don't believe any nonrev talk has any place here for that reason and he fact it would never be flame free.
As a former nonrev myself I mostly agree - I would also add that if I were to become eligible to be a nonrev again I wouldn't take advantage of it. Horrible, horrible way to travel, I'd rather pay for my own tickets.

I would think that the limitations placed on nonrevs about discussion of the benefit would be so great that such a forum would be close to useless.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 11:25 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
I’m not in favor of a non-rev forum on FT for a number of reasons.

1. While I can’t speak for every airline, the one where my wife and I have pass privileges has a clearly stated policy regarding posting company information on social media and other public websites, particularly about non-rev travel. This policy extends to all pass riders. I would post it here as an example but that would be a violation of the policy. Therefore, the number of participants would be greatly limited. I don’t know of too many people who would continually violate an employer’s written policy when doing so could cost them their privileges or even their jobs.

2. Those who aren’t pass riders not only don’t know or care about all of the intricacies of pass travel but see it as an imposition on their travel opportunities whether it be upgrades or the ability to get on a flight. I see lots of hostility in the DL Forum when the subject arises.

3. Almost every NRSA thread I’ve encountered on FT has dealt with Buddy Passes. These seem to be posted by people who have purchased a Buddy Pass from an employee (against the rules) and are now stuck without an understanding of how they work and no method of getting the person who sold them the pass to guide and assist them. This is a major problem for the airlines and they pursue enforcement of this forbidden activity. I find it difficult to sympathize with most people who know up front that they’re playing outside the rules and are taking a chance on getting burned. There was a recent post in the DL FT airline forum where the OP was well aware that he would be purchasing an “under the table” ticket and was looking for support that it would be OK. He did not get that support on FT.

4. There have been occasions in various threads where employees have posted factual information in order to help clarify or explain something where there’s a gross misunderstanding, but that’s an infrequent happening.5. Someone who has pass privileges can’t always use them. I was having a conversation with a friend today about a trip that my wife and I listed for and a trip she was planning.

a. The trip my wife and I listed for is strictly for pleasure. We will not make reservations for hotels or firm commitments to meet people. If the flight fills up and we can’t get on, we either have alternative arrangements or we go home and plan the next trip.

b. The trip my friend is planning is also for pleasure but she has firm family commitments and work schedules to deal with. Her solution – buy a ticket.

c. Domestic NRSA can be a real problem with flight loads where they are. We don’t even attempt it. Business travel is prohibited and even when strictly leisure, we want to be the same places that everyone else does at the same time that everyone else does. My wife and I are both DL Platinum Medallion as a result of our Non-NRSA travel. There are many employees and pass riders who have and maintain Medallion Status on their airline.

6. Most of those people who have pass privileges don’t want it to be public information.

I just don’t see any way that a Non-Rev forum can do anything positive for FT and many ways in which it can alienate people.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 6:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thank you for your detailed analysis on why you think such a forum wouldn't really work. It's much appreciated & I know it will help TB members when considering such a request.

Cheers.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 9:47 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Thank you for your detailed analysis on why you think such a forum wouldn't really work. It's much appreciated & I know it will help TB members when considering such a request.

Cheers.
Thank you as well ^ and I agree with all of the points outlined in your post ^
Old Dec 19, 2014, 3:37 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
I'm posting this information which was obtained from a publicly accessible web site:

https://www.facebook.com/DeltaNonRev...52155330907763

This is entitled "Please direct your attention to the VERY IMPORTANT memo issued on DeltaNet by Mike Campbell, yesterday, April 23, 2014 regarding Pass Travel. Thank you."

The Memo is not posted in this FB Thread since it is an internal DL Document. If you take a couple of minutes to peruse the comments (which is what I linked to) you can plainly see that DL is fed up with employees abusing pass privileges, especially the sale of passes, and is taking steps to crack down on this. IMO, and that of many others, this is a good thing. We all know that pass abuse is the major source of posting about passes on FT.

I wouldn't expect Delta to release an internal memo for public distribution, but I believe that it would be beneficial if DL provided a stripped down version that could be posted on FT. It could provide the basis for a wiki that people asking about buddy and companion passes could be pointed to. It would be nice if someone with close ties to DL Management (which a number of people purport to have) could work with DL to accomplish this. I believe that it would be beneficial both to DL and FT.

That said, I would think it beneficial if FT solicited all of the airlines for a policy statement / explanation of Pass Riding Information for the Public, and that it be posted as an informational document as appropriate in each FT airline forum.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 7:44 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SuperG1955
That said, I would think it beneficial if FT solicited all of the airlines for a policy statement / explanation of Pass Riding Information for the Public, and that it be posted as an informational document as appropriate in each FT airline forum.
The American Airlines Trip Book, with a full explanation and all the rules of non-rev travel, is easily found through Google.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 3:20 pm

The American Airlines Trip Book, with a full explanation and all the rules of non-rev travel, is easily found through Google.
It appears to be a 5 year old document that I'm sure has been updated many times due to policy changes.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by SuperG1955
It appears to be a 5 year old document that I'm sure has been updated many times due to policy changes.
It is five years old; however, there have been very few changes, such as the addition of a D2R classification. None of the changes affect guest or "buddy" passes (D3), which are the only type that I have seen discussed in these forums.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
I agree. Unless there's a large number of FT members to which this applies, I would prefer to see it discussed within the existing airline forums.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 5:10 pm

It is five years old; however, there have been very few changes, such as the addition of a D2R classification. None of the changes affect guest or "buddy" passes (D3), which are the only type that I have seen discussed in these forums.
Slight correction.

There has been one change since US Airways management took over AA that affects D3 pass riders, the dress code has been relaxed and denim and athletic footwear are now permitted in premium cabins.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.