Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Should there be a dating forum on FT? (v 2.0)

Old Sep 29, 2014, 7:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref

Bump

there appears to be a change of heart in omni so I thought I'd bring this up as I search for prior FT discussions on this very topic
Old Sep 30, 2014, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Bump

there appears to be a change of heart in omni so I thought I'd bring this up as I search for prior FT discussions on this very topic
There isn't much heart action at the moment, I believe that is one of the reasons for the thread.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 7:07 am

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Lot of BS up here now, why not a few more lies..

Everyone can be 6 FT 2 eyes of blue,
Old Sep 30, 2014, 9:15 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I think the thread in question is a bit tongue in cheek. I'm going to say I'm currently not in favor of this as I think it detracts from FT's Purpose (miles/points/travel/community) and could also lead to some issues (liability if someone gets hurt, hurt feelings from fallout which could affect the website as a whole) but I'm willing to be persuaded.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

werent there some other discussion threads on this topic?

an omni subforum might be too large scale, but having a thread in omni for example would not be best either because it could be moved out of omni. i think thats biggest 'problem' - the logistics aspect.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Perhaps it belongs in OMNI/Games.

After the other stuff there, who'd notice?
Old Sep 30, 2014, 11:04 am

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by nkedel
Perhaps it belongs in OMNI/Games.
Perhaps -- points can be earned based on how often you score.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 11:09 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
A bit of info for those who might read this thread but are not Omni-enabled.

A FTer posted a dating thread in Omni that, with the exception of 2 people (one being the person who bumped this thread), everyone regarded as fun, tongue in cheek, took in good humor. CMK10 even posted in the thread (with a very funny post ). The mods are keeping an eye on the thread, but haven't closed it down & one has addressed some of TrojanHorse's objections (noting that she is speaking only for herself as a mod & not the other 2).

Evidently TrojanHorse thinks that the recent thread is going to open the floodgates & personal dating threads are going to overcome Omni. However, it should be noted that in the last 7 years there have only been 1-2 threads that qualify as single ads, so IMO his concern/prediction is vastly overblown. He's continually posted his objections in that thread (fair enough), started another one, and is now evidently searching all the forums to find threads to bolster his opinion that they shouldn't be allowed. Again, fair enough. His right as a FTer to do so.

However, since he's bumped the thread to request TB to evaluate the idea of creating a forum for dating, I would say to him that he do what we request other FTers to do when they want a forum created:

The following are qualitative criteria that the TalkBoard believes are useful to consider when evaluating proposals to create, close, split, or move forums. Whenever a forum change is discussed on the TalkBoard Topics, the TalkBoard encourages posters to fully address these criteria in addition to any other reasons supporting or opposing the change.

1. Will the forum be (or is it now) beneficial to FlyerTalk?

2. Will the new forum benefit a relationship with FlyerTalk? E.g., does the forum provide value for FT members, such as a friendly ear highly placed in the company

3. Is FT the best place to discuss this subject?

4. Is there a passionate following? This is essential in order to provide dedicated expert helpers to get questions answered.

5. Is a critical mass of posts and readers anticipated or existing? We need adequate traffic to keep everyone visiting frequently. One living forum is more valuable than two mostly dead ones.

6. Is this the best place on FlyerTalk for this subject? This is the classification issue. The answer depends primarily on achieving and maintaining critical mass. It also depends on whether or where the discussion might (or does) occur in the absence of the forum.

7. For proposals to split a forum, is the split expected to improve the signal to noise ratio? Why?

Procedural Statements by the TalkBoard

8. The TalkBoard does not anticipate using automatic sunsetting of forums, preferring instead to create forums only when we they are strongly expected to succeed.

Cheers.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 11:11 am

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
4. Is there a passionate following? This is essential in order to provide dedicated expert helpers to get questions answered.
In view of the type of forum being discussed, please define "passionate".
Old Sep 30, 2014, 11:47 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Dovster

Cheers.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by CMK10
I think the thread in question is a bit tongue in cheek. I'm going to say I'm currently not in favor of this as I think it detracts from FT's Purpose (miles/points/travel/community) and could also lead to some issues (liability if someone gets hurt, hurt feelings from fallout which could affect the website as a whole) but I'm willing to be persuaded.
Don't go all "premature lawyer" on us!

Such a forum would be nothing short of a quilombo not to mention that anyone under a certain age is going to be totally frustrated with the excellent private messaging system that FT provides for those "last minute" changes of plans. Besides, over the history of FT, plenty of people have managed to hook up, shack up, sometimes get a license to legalize their formerly sinful relations, and occasionally, even buy real property together.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 7:12 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh9xM43vGL8
Old Sep 30, 2014, 11:44 pm

Programs: BA, CX, LH, WN
I also vote for Dating forum ^

None of the current online dating websites has a "Frequent Flier" category to filter out potential dating companions
Old Oct 1, 2014, 2:27 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Perhaps -- points can be earned based on how often you score.
Sounds like a "community"/"community buzz" issue. Will it be policed like Coupon Connection?

I am not a fan of the idea of a FT Personals/"dating" section.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 2:39 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

I strongly urge a NO vote as the proposed forum doesn't really fit with the purpose of FT, and give TrojanHorse a big for stirring up this particular hornet's nest when he is ostensibly so against it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.