Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Motion Passed: Creation of a Citibank | ThankYou Rewards forum

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2014, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Motion Passed: Creation of a Citibank | ThankYou Rewards forum

Moved by SkiAdcock and seconded by bdschobel:

"The TalkBoard recommends to the Community Director the creation of a Citibank | ThankYou Rewards forum in the Credit Card Programs/Partners category."

Forum description:

"Discuss Citi cards which earn ThankYou Rewards points including Preferred, Premier, Prestige and CitiBusiness cards. This forum also hosts limited discussion of co-branded American Airlines and Hilton Hotels cards issued by Citibank. However, reward redemption and valuation topics are covered in the AAdvantage and HHonors forums."

This vote will close on September 3, 2014, at 5:05 pm or after all TalkBoard members have registered their vote, whichever comes first.

Per the TalkBoard Guidelines:

A motion shall pass if at least two-thirds of the yes or no votes cast by TalkBoard members are ‘yes’ and a majority of the total TalkBoard membership votes 'yes.'

The purpose of posting voting topics in the public TalkBoard Topics forum is to solicit member feedback on any motions that are up for a vote and to allow for comments after a vote is made. It is at the sole discretion of the individual TalkBoard members whether they choose to post in the public discussion thread, there being no requirement to do so.

So while there is already a thread and discussion on this general topic and it is safe to assume that TalkBoard members have reviewed that thread, this thread is about this specific motion.

Please feel free to post questions, comments or any other sort of feedback in this thread, or in the other discussion thread

Last edited by bdschobel; Aug 20, 2014 at 3:34 pm
Old Aug 20, 2014, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
I'm fine with this in general. But I'd suggest some changes:

1. Just use "Citi' and not "Citibank" (We didn't use "Chase Bank", just "Chase") for consistency. Not a deal breaker though either way.

2. Drop the word "Rewards" and use the correct term "ThankYou Points" (like "Chase | Ultimate Rewards", but "Rewards" is part of the actual title).
See https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/cr...l-credit-cards

3. Add the words/letters "AA" and "Hilton" (Citi is big on these 2 programs).

So the final product would look like this:

Citi | ThankYou Points, AA and Hilton

I know this is a work in progress and I'm sure others will have some good input.

philemer
Old Aug 20, 2014, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
I would take that as a friendly amendment.

Bruce
Old Aug 21, 2014, 7:25 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Personally, I see no reason to add AA and Hilton. We do not do that for other programs where you can transfer miles/points. I think the forum description is adequate to highlight those programs if we feel we should highlight a particular airline or hotel program (I do not believe we should).

I do support creation of this forum.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 8:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by philemer
I'm fine with this in general. But I'd suggest some changes:

1. Just use "Citi' and not "Citibank" (We didn't use "Chase Bank", just "Chase") for consistency. Not a deal breaker though either way.

2. Drop the word "Rewards" and use the correct term "ThankYou Points" (like "Chase | Ultimate Rewards", but "Rewards" is part of the actual title).
See https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/cr...l-credit-cards

3. Add the words/letters "AA" and "Hilton" (Citi is big on these 2 programs).

So the final product would look like this:

Citi | ThankYou Points, AA and Hilton

philemer
Citi has a ThankYou Rewards program. Aren't TY points what is earned under the program?

I'm fine with Citi vs. Citibank; both are correct. Citi has a citi.com & citibank.com. Chase is simply chase.com

Originally Posted by wharvey
Personally, I see no reason to add AA and Hilton. We do not do that for other programs where you can transfer miles/points. I think the forum description is adequate to highlight those programs if we feel we should highlight a particular airline or hotel program (I do not believe we should).

I think AA & Hilton should be in the program description, not in the title.

BTW - mia was kind enough to write the forum description for me, as I'm not that familiar with the Citi cards/program.

Cheers.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Creation of a Citibank | ThankYou Rewards forum will pass

In accordance with the guidelines that we'll announce if a motion has passed or failed once enough yes or no votes have been recorded by TB members, this is the public notice that this motion will pass as it has secured at least 6 yes votes.

Please note that not all TB members have voted yet, and so a final announcement with who voted yes/no will not be posted until all 9 have voted or the voting period ends.

Bruce
Old Aug 21, 2014, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wharvey

The only problem with this is that people don't normally read the description so Citi AA & Hilton related posts will end up in the CCP forum. This happens in the Chase | UR forum--people start new threads daily in the CCP forum when they should go in the Chase forum, because the thread is not UR related. I tried to get "& other Chase cards" added to the forum title in the beginning but I was overruled.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Citi has a ThankYou Rewards program. Aren't TY points what is earned under the program?
You missed my point. All programs could be deemed "rewards" programs. But that word is not part of the official CITI TY Points title. But "Ultimate Rewards" is the official title of the Chase program. The CITI program is simply called "ThankYou Points". I don't think adding on the word "Rewards" is necessary.. I surrender.

Last edited by philemer; Aug 21, 2014 at 1:58 pm
Old Aug 21, 2014, 12:56 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
...The CITI program is simply called "ThankYou Points".
I do so hate to disagree with my colleague from the Mountain Time Zone, but the official name is: ThankYou Rewards

See here: Welcome to ThankYou® Rewards
Old Aug 21, 2014, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
I do so hate to disagree with my colleague from the Mountain Time Zone, but the official name is: ThankYou Rewards

See here: Welcome to ThankYou® Rewards
Well, kiss my grits! I stand corrected.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I disagree with adding another forum for credit card rewards.

The game is slowly being shut down as issuers tighten up the application and reward process.

Chase has just changed their T&C to specifically allow them to close the accounts due to churning. MS, IMHO, is going to die off eventually as well.

We don't need another forum that is going to become unused in a short period of time.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 8:02 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Mary2e
The game is slowly being shut down as issuers tighten up the application and reward process.
Credit card forum discussions are not just about churning or manufactured spending. Flyertalk had card forums long before either of these practices were prevalent, and neither has been common outside the USA. Cards provide travel related benefits in addition to rewards.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I know that I actually frequented the few that existed more often than I do now because there are so many of them.

Now in order to see if there's a good deal out there for a card I have to check several of them.

Most of those forums are now about churning and MS with little other stuff mixed in. I do still check them from time to time
Old Aug 22, 2014, 9:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Well, kiss my grits! I stand corrected.
Oh my gosh - I haven't heard kiss my grits in a long time (Southern relatives). Thanks for the chuckle

Cheers.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 10:17 am

Programs: AA, TY, UR, UA, US, WN, MR, SPG
On the Citi/Citibank issue, Citi is the correct way to go. The rewards are earned cross-entity, so the parent/umbrella name is probably right:

Citi (or Citigroup)
>Citi Cards
>Citibank
>Citi Mortgage
>Citi Personal Wealth Management

<--former Citi employee

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.