Search

Rule Change Suggestion

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2014, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Rule Change Suggestion

Not sure if this is in the right place, so feel free to move if not.

This sentence appears in Rule 19:
The posting or otherwise sharing of a private communication, such as an email or private message without the author's permission, whether on FlyerTalk or elsewhere, is not permitted. [emphasis added]
The western world (I don't know what happens elsewhere) views Email and PMs the same way that it views snail/paper mail, -- it becomes the property of the recipient on receipt, restriction-free. The recipient can do what s/he wishes with the communication. I have, on occasion, asked someone to whom I'm sending a PM to keep it confidential (sometimes I ask before sending the substantive information).

IMO this is a much better approach. May I suggest that a rule change along these lines be considered?
Old Jul 14, 2014, 1:21 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH

This sentence appears in Rule 19:The western world (I don't know what happens elsewhere) views Email and PMs the same way that it views snail/paper mail, -- it becomes the property of the recipient on receipt, restriction-free. The recipient can do what s/he wishes with the communication. I have, on occasion, asked someone to whom I'm sending a PM to keep it confidential (sometimes I ask before sending the substantive information).

IMO this is a much better approach. May I suggest that a rule change along these lines be considered?
Did you receive one or more PMs whose details you would otherwise wish to share, absent that rule, on FT?
Old Jul 14, 2014, 5:43 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
... Email and PMs the same way that it views snail/paper mail, -- it becomes the property of the recipient on receipt, restriction-free.
This is an oversimplification. The copyright of a letter is held by the author, not by the recipient, and the recipient needs permission from the author to reproduce it. Read more, for example here:

http://www.rightsofwriters.com/2011/...ould-know.html

1. If I send you a letter, unless I have an agreement with you to the contrary, I continue to own the copyright.

2. As the recipient of the letter, you own the letter itself -- the paper and ink. You can show the letter to others, sell it, give it to a friend, donate it to a library, preserve it, or ... destroy it. Or to put it in a more lawyerly way, absent an express writing to the contrary, transfer of ownership of the tangible physical property of the letter from me to you does not carry with it the transfer of the copyright.

3. As the recipient of the letter, you cannot, however, publish the entirety of the letter without my consent...
Old Jul 14, 2014, 6:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Are changes to FT Rules within TB's purview?
Old Jul 14, 2014, 6:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

This sentence appears in Rule 19:The western world (I don't know what happens elsewhere) views Email and PMs the same way that it views snail/paper mail, -- it becomes the property of the recipient on receipt, restriction-free. The recipient can do what s/he wishes with the communication. I have, on occasion, asked someone to whom I'm sending a PM to keep it confidential (sometimes I ask before sending the substantive information).

I'm confused. The rule currently says you can't disclose a PM w/o the author's permission. But now you want the author of the PM to have to write a sentence each time they want something kept confidential? How is that helpful? To me it seems that on the occasions someone wants to pass along a PM, that individual should just PM the author & ask if it's ok.

I'm not in agreement with your comment that in the western world the recipient can do whatever they want with an email, restriction-free, given I receive emails w/ formal statements at the bottom saying that the info is privileged & confidential, etc, etc.

But this is a TOS issue. While TB provided input on the rules, there was a separate committee that revamped them earlier this year.

But getting back to my original paragraph. I'm still confused about how your suggestion is an improvement over the current rule.

Cheers.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 9:48 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
C

The FlyerTalk Rules are under the aegis of Admin -the Community Director and Rules team - not the TalkBoard. As such, the thread will close for now, and be brought to the attention of the Community Director.

It should be pointed out the Rules Committee has input from a lawyer/judge and others who thoroughly review the Rules prior to publication, and that as ~60% of FlyerTalk members and it's parent companies are U.S. based, the Rules will largely reflect U.S. laws.

Thank you for your input; member input and suggestions are always welcome, and Admin related issues can always be brought up with the Community Director.

/Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.