FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TalkBoard Topics (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkboard-topics-382/)
-   -   Suggestion: Let MH / Malaysia Airlines have its forum (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkboard-topics/1560203-suggestion-let-mh-malaysia-airlines-have-its-forum.html)

Guy Betsy Mar 13, 2014 3:59 pm

Suggestion: Let MH / Malaysia Airlines have its forum

I suggest starting a MH forum.

Since MH joined OW, interest and questions about this airline has increased. Not to mention that recent events has increased views on that topic to close to a million.

Suggest starting a MH forum, if not create a temporary one immediately so that people can find out more about MH without having to search all over FT.

tcook052 Mar 13, 2014 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Since MH joined OW, interest and questions about this airline has increased.

By how much? MH joined One World 13 months ago so before the recent tragic event how many more threads/posts on the airline have there been? Without knowing the answer to that question MHO is that this event shouldn't be used as a mitigating factor in deciding whether the airline should have its own FT forum.

Suggest starting a MH forum, if not create a temporary one immediately so that people can find out more about MH without having to search all over FT.
There is an announcement from the CD on every forum about where to find discussion on the MH crash so no searching is required.

BadgerBoi Mar 14, 2014 7:19 am

I must be psychic :)

SkiAdcock Mar 14, 2014 9:45 am

Originally Posted by tcook052 (Post 22520369)
By how much? MH joined One World 13 months ago so before the recent tragic event how many more threads/posts on the airline have there been? Without knowing the answer to that question MHO is that this event shouldn't be used as a mitigating factor in deciding whether the airline should have its own FT forum.

I tend to agree with the above. What would help the TB in determining if MH should have its own forum is answering the questions below or providing further information, as we ask others to do when they suggest a new forum.

The following are qualitative criteria that the TalkBoard believes are useful to consider when evaluating proposals to create, close, split, or move forums. Whenever a forum change is discussed on the TalkBoard Topics, the TalkBoard encourages posters to fully address these criteria in addition to any other reasons supporting or opposing the change.

1. Will the forum be (or is it now) beneficial to FlyerTalk?

2. Will the new forum benefit a relationship with FlyerTalk? E.g., does the forum provide value for FT members, such as a friendly ear highly placed in the company

3. Is FT the best place to discuss this subject?

4. Is there a passionate following? This is essential in order to provide dedicated expert helpers to get questions answered.

5. Is a critical mass of posts and readers anticipated or existing? We need adequate traffic to keep everyone visiting frequently. One living forum is more valuable than two mostly dead ones.

6. Is this the best place on FlyerTalk for this subject? This is the classification issue. The answer depends primarily on achieving and maintaining critical mass. It also depends on whether or where the discussion might (or does) occur in the absence of the forum.

7. For proposals to split a forum, is the split expected to improve the signal to noise ratio? Why?

Procedural Statements by the TalkBoard

8. The TalkBoard does not anticipate using automatic sunsetting of forums, preferring instead to create forums only when we they are strongly expected to succeed.

Cheers.

SkiAdcock Mar 14, 2014 9:46 am

Originally Posted by BadgerBoi (Post 22522472)

Given TB has created quite a few int'l forums, your psychic ability might be a tad off ;)

Cheers.

kokonutz Mar 14, 2014 10:25 am

This is not the time, imho.

Wait until the dust settles around this mystery and then if the metrics over the long haul make sense I'll be the first to support.

goalie Mar 14, 2014 10:42 am

Originally Posted by kokonutz (Post 22523507)
This is not the time, imho.

Wait until the dust settles around this mystery and then if the metrics over the long haul make sense I'll be the first to support.

Agreed and agreed ^ (tho I guess I'd have to be second in supporting ;))

BadgerBoi Mar 14, 2014 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock (Post 22523254)
Given TB has created quite a few int'l forums, your psychic ability might be a tad off ;)

Cheers.

By post two the discussion was already going the way that I suggested, so I respectfully disagree.

SkiAdcock Mar 15, 2014 9:14 am

Originally Posted by BadgerBoi (Post 22524629)
By post two the discussion was already going the way that I suggested, so I respectfully disagree.

If you look at the official TB decisions, TB has created a # of international forums - more than domestic, so I respectfully disagree with your respectfully disagree :)

Cheers.

GUWonder Mar 25, 2014 2:46 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock (Post 22528791)
If you look at the official TB decisions, TB has created a # of international forums - more than domestic, so I respectfully disagree with your respectfully disagree :)

Cheers.

With domestic airline consolidation and reduced count of domestic airlines in any of the Big 3 airline alliances, it's only natural that in an environment of growing international membership in those alliances that the domestic forum creation would lag behind and behind big time.

The TB and moderator representatives' backgrounds may be largely in line with the historically, primarily US-membership base and a US (and even pro-US Government) bias that does sort of drive this place (in some ways more now than even before), but that hasn't really held back the international angle of this place despite the foot dragging over, or stomping against, TOS-compliant diversity and diversification.

It's rather amusing how MH has not yet got its own forum on FT despite smaller carriers with fewer international flights having already had the same. I supported the creation of an MH forum before and I still do. I also would volunteer to moderate the forum if there wouldn't be a hissy-fit of sort over that.

SkiAdcock Mar 25, 2014 8:39 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 22583267)

The TB and moderator representatives' backgrounds may be largely in line with the historically, primarily US-membership base and a US (and even pro-US Government) bias that does sort of drive this place (in some ways more now than even before), but that hasn't really held back the international angle of this place despite the foot dragging over, or stomping against, TOS-compliant diversity and diversification.

It's rather amusing how MH has not yet got its own forum on FT despite smaller carriers with fewer international flights having already had the same. I supported the creation of an MH forum before and I still do. I also would volunteer to moderate the forum if there wouldn't be a hissy-fit of sort over that.

I've not seen int'l forums held back because of a US-centric TB. TB has created a # of int'l forums. A # of int'l forums have int'l mods.

Glad to hear you support a MH forum. As mentioned in an above post, it usually helps to make a case for one (which the other int'l forums that were approved did) & this is a good place to start (see below in italics). While it's not the only criteria used by TB, it does help to make a case.

Having said that, I do agree that until the dust settles over the current MH tragedy & some metrics over the long haul can be identified, now isn't the right time - but this gives you something to consider/address when you do intend to make your case.

Re: being a mod of the forum if it is created, that is not something that TB is involved in & your offer should be addressed to the CD. I know that to be a mod, you need to apply & go through a few month training program so it's not as simple as saying I volunteer (although that's a good first step!).

What would help the TB in determining if MH should have its own forum is answering the questions below or providing further information, as we ask others to do when they suggest a new forum.

The following are qualitative criteria that the TalkBoard believes are useful to consider when evaluating proposals to create, close, split, or move forums. Whenever a forum change is discussed on the TalkBoard Topics, the TalkBoard encourages posters to fully address these criteria in addition to any other reasons supporting or opposing the change.

1. Will the forum be (or is it now) beneficial to FlyerTalk?

2. Will the new forum benefit a relationship with FlyerTalk? E.g., does the forum provide value for FT members, such as a friendly ear highly placed in the company

3. Is FT the best place to discuss this subject?

4. Is there a passionate following? This is essential in order to provide dedicated expert helpers to get questions answered.

5. Is a critical mass of posts and readers anticipated or existing? We need adequate traffic to keep everyone visiting frequently. One living forum is more valuable than two mostly dead ones.

6. Is this the best place on FlyerTalk for this subject? This is the classification issue. The answer depends primarily on achieving and maintaining critical mass. It also depends on whether or where the discussion might (or does) occur in the absence of the forum.

7. For proposals to split a forum, is the split expected to improve the signal to noise ratio? Why?

Procedural Statements by the TalkBoard

8. The TalkBoard does not anticipate using automatic sunsetting of forums, preferring instead to create forums only when we they are strongly expected to succeed.

JDiver Mar 25, 2014 9:45 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 22583267)
With domestic airline consolidation and reduced count of domestic airlines in any of the Big 3 airline alliances, it's only natural that in an environment of growing international membership in those alliances that the domestic forum creation would lag behind and behind big time.

We like to allow a broad latitude of speech here for obvious reasons, but I assure you your conjecture is not supported by facts, nor do they belong in this forum (OMNI/PR).

We do have criteria for TalkBoard to consider requests for a new forum, but these have not been followed here. Please refer to SkiAdcock's post for the suggested data.

JDiver

/Moderator

SanDiego1K Mar 25, 2014 10:06 am

I want to speak briefly to the global reach of FlyerTalk. It's something that I believe in passionately and systematically support. FlyerTalk has roughly a 60% US readership and 40% from the rest of the world. We're very mindful in selecting moderators that we need to represent this world view. Moderators also are about 60% Americans and 40% rest of world. We have four senior moderators. 2 currently are Americans, one is British, and one is German. Talkboard is elected by the members, and its diversity is up to those who vote. While voters have decided to vote predominantly for Americans, I'm happy to say that the board has been diligent in filling in the holes of our coverage, approving a number of new forums for international travel providers and international destinations.

I realize the above is very OT for this thread, but I do want any member reading to understand how passionate I am about providing a board that structurally supports our global membership. This is no longer a US board.

oliver2002 Mar 25, 2014 11:00 am

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K (Post 22584982)
We have four senior moderators. 2 currently are Americans, one is British, and one is German.

Indo-German, to be correct ;)

JDiver Mar 25, 2014 11:12 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002 (Post 22585323)
Indo-German, to be correct ;)

American-Mexican would also be correct for another listed upstream as "American".