Wiki Posts
Search

Suggestion: Close Group and Event Travel Planning forum

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2013, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Suggestion: Close Group and Event Travel Planning forum

I know Talkboard rarely closes forums, but Group and Event Travel Planning has apparently died on its own and is awaiting burial.

It was created almost two years ago and has only 26 threads, at least seven of which were moved from elsewhere. Some of these threads fit into hotel forums, others in regional forums, the rest in TravelBuzz.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 1:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
While I was one of the ones to support the creation of this forum, I also agree with the suggestion of closing it.

The intent was a good one, to have topics that related to group & event planning go into their own forum rather than clutter up the hotel forums. However, it really never came to fruition as FTers still continue to post in the hotel forums or TB.

This particular forum was a bit of a leap of faith by TB that it would work out, but unfortunately it didn't. I'll bring it up in the private TB forum re: closing it, but given the #s you posted above it's a bit of a no-brainer to do so.

Cheers.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Seems like the right answer to me, too.

Bruce
Old Dec 12, 2013, 2:13 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Yep. I support taking it off life support.

Thanks for the heads up, linsj. ^
Old Dec 12, 2013, 3:41 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
With these data, it's hard to see an argument to continue it, but it would be good to understand what happened. I remember that such a forum was created and I might have visited it once out of curiosity, but I don't recall that it ever got much publicity on FT.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 4:06 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Since I voted against the creation of this forum, I "guess" I'm in favor of closing it
Old Dec 12, 2013, 4:09 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
... it would be good to understand what happened. I remember that such a forum was created and I might have visited it once out of curiosity, but I don't recall that it ever got much publicity on FT.
Not to mention even MODs don't even bother moving appropriate threads into this forum.

In the past, I occasionally spotted some threads in other fora, maybe b/w 5 and 10, that should be good candidates for this forum, mostly about coordinating group travel and/or asking for input. MODs moved ZERO thread after my RBPs.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Following up on this suggestion, a TalkBoard motion was made and seconded today to close the forum. Here's the motion:

"Talkboard recommends closing the Event & Travel Planning forum"

The results of the vote will be reported as soon as all members have voted (or possibly sooner if the result is a fait accompli).

Bruce
Old Dec 17, 2013, 7:06 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Does someone on the TalkBoard or here on TBT have time to compute the quasi-annual forum activity statistics? I can email you the Excel file with data from earlier years. Or everyone can wait until I have time to do it myself...
Old Dec 17, 2013, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It may be a moot point.

Bruce
Old Dec 17, 2013, 9:01 pm
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I was talking about the activity statistics for ALL forums that TalkBoard is supposed to compile at the end of every year.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
I was talking about the activity statistics for ALL forums that TalkBoard is supposed to compile at the end of every year.
You mean Feb of each year, not end of year. As you know it's not always been done, including in your year as prez, hence the quasi-annual part.

IIRC there weren't that many that qualified before but it's always good to have a snapshot to figure out which. I remember one on the list before that was active, so more than one criteria needs to be looked at. We can look into it in Feb. It helps to have an actuary on TB now

Cheers.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 9:53 pm
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
You mean Feb of each year, not end of year. As you know it's not always been done, including in your year as prez, hence the quasi-annual part.

IIRC there weren't that many that qualified before but it's always good to have a snapshot to figure out which. I remember one on the list before that was active, so more than one criteria needs to be looked at. We can look into it in Feb. It helps to have an actuary on TB now

Cheers.
My last file was done October 12, 2012, so I guess it's on me to do this one.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 5:50 am

Originally Posted by nsx
My last file was done October 12, 2012, so I guess it's on me to do this one.
You can provide your file & the criteria you used to TB & we'll get a TB member to take a look at it/update/tweak the criteria in February. Since you're no longer on TB, it's not on you to do it now. You're supposed to be vacationing as ex-TB Prez

Cheers.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 6:30 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by nsx
Back in September, 2013, I'd asked about this specifically whether the review had been done in Feb 2013 from another TB thread:

Originally Posted by lin821
9. At the end of each year, the TalkBoard President will ask the FlyerTalk Host for end-of-year forum activity metrics. Each February, the TalkBoard shall review the least-used forums for possible closure, based on the end-of-year metrics. Members should not expect public notice in advance of proposals to close forums due to the potential for manipulation of the metrics.
Is there even any one single forum that fits the bill based on 2012's yearly metrics? Or did the review take place back in Feb at all? :confused:
I don't think I ever got a direct answer. Now I know why:

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Originally Posted by nsx
You mean Feb of each year, not end of year. As you know it's not always been done, including in your year as prez, hence the quasi-annual part...
(bolding mine)

So, does it mean TB isn't bound by its own statement (a motion passed on June 29th, 2010) to perform a "quasi-annual" annual review?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.