Voting Over, Motion Passed: Create an Information Desk Forum

Old Sep 27, 2013, 3:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

Moved by nsx and seconded by jackal:

“The TalkBoard recommends adding an "Information Desk" forum at the top of the list of forums, with the subtitle "Including New Member Q&A and Non-Program-Specific Award Travel Advice", subject to revision over time by the Community Director as the best uses of the forum become more clear. The TalkBoard further recommends that all newly registering members be redirected to the Information Desk forum as their first post-signup screen.”

This vote will close on October 11, 2013, at 4:57pm or after all TalkBoard members have registered their vote, whichever comes first.

Per the TalkBoard Guidelines:

A motion shall pass if at least two-thirds of the yes or no votes cast by TalkBoard members are ‘yes’ and a majority of the total TalkBoard membership votes 'yes.'

The purpose of posting voting topics in the public TalkBoard Topics forum is to solicit member feedback on any motions that are up for a vote and to allow for comments after a vote is made. It is at the sole discretion of the individual TalkBoard members whether they choose to post in the public discussion thread, there being no requirement to do so.

So while there is already a thread and discussion on this general topic and it is safe to assume that TalkBoard members have reviewed that thread, this thread is about this specific motion.

Please feel free to post questions, comments or any other sort of feedback in this thread, or in the other discussion thread.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Oct 2, 2013 at 10:05 am
Old Sep 27, 2013, 3:30 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Can we make the subtitle font so small nobody can read it? It was worth a try.

I'm comfortable with the CD tweaking the forum as it evolves but hope it doesn't steal new members away from seeking out info in the individual forums.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Speaking for myself, I think having a Information Desk forum can be quite helpful to FTers. I didn't come up w/ the sub-title & might have tweaked it a tad, but it was part of the motion.

I view the information desk forum to be a totally welcoming one, and might include such things (perhaps in a sticky) on how to do things as simple as explaining thread tools (subscriptions, MyFlyertalk) or other things for those that are truly new & don't know how to do such things. Heck, I'm an old-timer & there are still things I'm just learning!

There would also be other newbie (or old-timer) threads that would get posted in the ID forum - and some would get switched over to Info Desk from MilesBuzz. I view the Info Desk forum to be bigger than just MilesBuzz items. There are threads that currently in MB that could/would get shunted to the new ID, but I view the ID to be more than just siphoning off MB threads/clearing that up. I look at it as a chance to be even more helpful. I don't view the IF forum as just a method to clear up MB, although that will happen. It can be more.

Cheers.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Sep 27, 2013 at 4:35 pm
Old Sep 27, 2013, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tcook052
Can we make the subtitle font so small nobody can read it? It was worth a try.

I'm comfortable with the CD tweaking the forum as it evolves but hope it doesn't steal new members away from seeking out info in the individual forums.
id think anything about ONE program would be moved pretty quickly
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I look at it as a chance to be even more helpful. I don't view the IF forum as just a method to clear up MB, although that will happen. It can be more.
ive had conversations in the past where i could not refer someone to FT because no such forum. i look forward to being able to refer people to this new forum assuming it happens!

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 27, 2013 at 5:29 pm
Old Sep 27, 2013, 7:00 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
Perhaps but there is still room in each individual forum for a comparison with another program whether it be Marriott vs. Starwood or UA vs. DL.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 11:15 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Improving Wording of Subtitle

First things first, a general Q & A corner definitely will make FT less intimating for newbies and more friendly for jack of "all miles & points."
Moved by nsx and seconded by jackal:

“The TalkBoard recommends adding an "Information Desk" forum at the top of the list of forums, with the subtitle "New Member Q&A and Award Travel Advice",...
... I didn't come up w/ the sub-title & might have tweaked it a tad, but it was part of the motion.
(underline mine)

I'd spoken my mind about the separation of general Q& As from award planning. Even though disappointed in the direction the current TB is heading w/r/t award planning, I believe the wording of subtitle is supposed to be self-explanatory, instead of creating unnecessary confusion. The current proposed subtitle of "New Member Q&A and Award Travel Advice" can be wrongly interpreted in two ways:
I. it's only for new members; and
II. an open invitation to ask a program-specific question in this proposed new forum, when such question should be addressed in each designated forum.

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
If the subtitle had been worded as "Including New Member Q&A and Non-Program-Specific Award Travel Advice", members would have had a better idea:
1) Information Desk is NOT just for newbies;
2) NOT to ask program-specific questions here so MODs wouldn't be loaded with thread relocation tasks.

Just some food for thought.

Last edited by lin821; Sep 28, 2013 at 12:15 am Reason: clarification
Old Sep 28, 2013, 6:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lin821
First things first, a general Q & A corner definitely will make FT less intimating for newbies and more friendly for jack of "all miles & points."

If the subtitle had been worded as "Including New Member Q&A and Non-Program-Specific Award Travel Advice", members would have had a better idea:
2) NOT to ask program-specific questions here so MODs wouldn't be loaded with thread relocation tasks.

Just some food for thought.
As mentioned, I didn't come up with the subtitle but we wanted to get the vote going on an Information Desk forum to a) create a new forum that will be welcoming & helpful to all FTers, especially newer ones; b) help clean up MilesBuzz by having some of the threads moved to ID or new ones get started there.

The vote is for the forum itself. The subtitle can be tweaked a bit if the forum gets approved. That's been done before.

Cheers.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 1:44 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
^^^^^
Old Sep 28, 2013, 3:57 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
First, I think it is an excellent idea.

Second, would it be crazy to restrict new members (for a specified period of time and posts) to only being able to start new threads in the new forum (and perhaps in one or two other forums) to avoid <ahem> mishaps?
Old Sep 28, 2013, 4:20 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by lin821
As the drafter of this proposal, I like your version better than mine. The proposal explicitly contemplates quick evolution of the subtitle, and I wouldn't mind at all if that evolution starts on Day 1 with your version, unless someone has an even better one.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 7:55 pm

Programs: Avis First, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, United Gold
I am not a voting member (I don't think). I would like to weigh in 1 for the new members, including yours truly. Let us say.. starting with comprising a list of acronyms. I need it now, as I am reading post and searching for clues while learning my newest language as a FTer (oh should I say that, what is my probation period ).
Old Sep 28, 2013, 8:07 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by 104ish
. Let us say.. starting with comprising a list of acronyms.
You'll find that here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/glossary.php
Old Sep 28, 2013, 9:58 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
As tom911 indicated, one place to start is the FlyerTalk Glossary (click on the link or go Help -> Glossary). There's also an Airport Code Lookup, etc. Some fora have wikis and glossaries, as well. (You're not a voting member but your indications here will be read by voting TalkBoard members.)

Originally Posted by 104ish
I am not a voting member (I don't think). I would like to weigh in 1 for the new members, including yours truly. Let us say.. starting with comprising a list of acronyms. I need it now, as I am reading post and searching for clues while learning my newest language as a FTer (oh should I say that, what is my probation period ).

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 28, 2013 at 10:05 pm
Old Sep 29, 2013, 7:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jspira

Second, would it be crazy to restrict new members (for a specified period of time and posts) to only being able to start new threads in the new forum (and perhaps in one or two other forums) to avoid <ahem> mishaps?
We don't restrict new members from posting in any forum (with the exception of Coupon Connection & Omni, which has a 180post/180day entry requirement). If I had been restricted to only posting in 1-3 forums when I first came to FT & yet saw there were many more that would be of use to me as a FTer, I probably would not have stuck around FT very long.

The new forum is intended to be helpful to both new & long-time FTers, and as a consequence also clean up MilesBuzz to an extent/get it more back to its original purpose.

Cheers.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 9:28 am

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
We don't restrict new members from posting in any forum (with the exception of Coupon Connection & Omni, which has a 180post/180day entry requirement). If I had been restricted to only posting in 1-3 forums when I first came to FT & yet saw there were many more that would be of use to me as a FTer, I probably would not have stuck around FT very long.
My statement (and I admitted it was a bit crazy) did not say anything about restricting new FTers in their abiity to post in existing threads in any forum. My suggestion was very specific and targeted in terms of avoiding known problem areas and it would be a kind of training wheels for a short period of time, perhaps as short as a week and 10 posts. It's just a thought, however.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.