Old Nov 4, 2013, 1:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
Great idea^
Old Nov 4, 2013, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
I feel the time has come in the UA forum to split it into Fora dedicated to mileage plus program issues and company issues. People with legitimate enquiries into flying/ redeeming are lost in the sea of comments on company performance.
yes, maybe... except for those times back in the UA MOM forum when the UA Insider withheld information and seemingly lied to us about promo bonuses. Then it was a case where company AND miles came together as one thing to moan about.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 2:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
A gentle reminder that this thread is for input on the renaming of the airline & hotel forums

Cheers.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 3:58 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
A gentle reminder that this thread is for input on the renaming of the airline & hotel forums

Cheers.
I feel the time has come in the UA forum to split it into Fora dedicated to mileage plus program issues and company issues. People with legitimate enquiries into flying/ redeeming are lost in the sea of comments on company performance.
What Sharon said ^. And besides, if for sake of argument, this was done, a) it would turn in to a very hostile environment* and b) then everyone would be clamoring for a similar forum in "the XXX company" forum and imho, these things are all part of "the company" and his is exactly what should be discussed in a company forum.

*not that some parts of some discussions aren't but that's what moderators are for

And now back to what Sharon said
Old Nov 4, 2013, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I keep thinking of the new user.

Is it possible for something to show users that the titles they are about to see will be formatted as such:

Name of airline or hotel chain
Followed by
Name of related award program
Followed by
Alliance or partnership, if any

This may be the intent already but Im not sure from what I have read so far.
But the point is that new users might have heard of say, Mileageplus but they dont know if that's United. Or they know United well but dont know what their miles program is called. And they dont nec know of Star Alliance either.

If the top of lists or main page of a forum section had a little legend or way to quickly show the order or meaning of these three things, then a user could find all answers no matter which of the three things he or she has heard of

ie:

United Airlines / MileagePlus / Star Alliance

And if the legend on top tells us that the first listing is always the airline or hotel, the second is always its award plan, and the third is always its alliance if any, then this may really help everyone
Old Nov 4, 2013, 9:32 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
I think if you put the alliance in the forum name, you might end up confusing a new user as there is already an airline alliance forum plus with putting the alliance name in the forum name as you suggest, you'll have multiple forums with the same alliance listed and a new user might not be able to determine which forum to post in
Old Nov 4, 2013, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by goalie
I think if you put the alliance in the forum name, you might end up confusing a new user as there is already an airline alliance forum plus with putting the alliance name in the forum name as you suggest, you'll have multiple forums with the same alliance listed and a new user might not be able to determine which forum to post in
I see what you mean-- a user might see United Airlines, for example, but mistakenly click on the alliance link of the title name instead of the airline link. Then again it may all have to do with IT and once a user arrives in an alliance area they can once again see that United Airlines is there so he/she can click on that.

I dunno... I am just thinking of people who have heard of some of these things but are not sure. A list of sorts, that actually breaks it out and ahows what goes with what, could help provide an insant education.

As well, it certainly cant do harm to have many ways to arrive at the same place.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 11:42 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Guess I'm in the minority based on the comments made thus far, but I think this is overcomplicating things that are overcomplicated in the first place. If you are a traveler why wouldn't you know that United Airlines is United Airlines and what their mileage program is called and/or why would you have to know both components?

When I try accessing this site through mobile I can't see half of the stuff as it is now.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Concur with the proposal as tabled ... Airline | FF programme.

This also helps the less-frequent/single airline flyers (like me) to have a quick look-up list of those programmes that get mentioned on the boards by going to the 'root directory'. Some of the names are completely meaningless unless placed in an airline context (e.g. "Gold Circle" = who?)
Old Nov 5, 2013, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ldsant
Guess I'm in the minority based on the comments made thus far, but I think this is overcomplicating things that are overcomplicated in the first place. If you are a traveler why wouldn't you know that United Airlines is United Airlines and what their mileage program is called and/or why would you have to know both components?

When I try accessing this site through mobile I can't see half of the stuff as it is now.
Newer people do not know the names of things and what goes with what. If we want to invite the new person and make them feel more welcome it has to be a bit more user friendly. In fact, just reading the above list has shed light on some of the programs I did not know the names of and I've been doing this for a while.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 6:00 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by T8191
Concur with the proposal as tabled ... Airline | FF programme.

This also helps the less-frequent/single airline flyers (like me) to have a quick look-up list of those programmes that get mentioned on the boards by going to the 'root directory'. Some of the names are completely meaningless unless placed in an airline context (e.g. "Gold Circle" = who?)
We didn't table this motion. In fact, voting is happening now.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 9:11 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Marathon Man
Any ideas for starting a "recent (or significant) devaluation" forum? and starting talks about what is seriously devalued and how people can deal with it? Consider HH and UA for two recent ones.

MM
See this relatively new Wiki thread in MilesBuzz:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...aluations.html

I hope this will be the start of many topic-specific threads carrying Wikis for hot news in the FF program world, and that all these threads will make MilesBuzz superior to any blog.

To all readers: If you have an idea for a Wiki on a specific topic, please create it and post it in MilesBuzz, using the devaluations Wiki thread as a template. Best Redemption Bargains is one subject I can think of. It doesn't matter if you don't know everything about the subject. FT members can add content if you plant the seed. Go for it.

Note: An earlier draft proposal included re-purposing of MilesBuzz to focus on hot news, good or bad. After some discussion with its moderators a month ago I realized that we could achieve the desired result using topic-specific Wikis, provided that FT members pitch in to keep the content up to date. The recent devaluations Wiki is the trial run for this idea.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 9:24 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Marathon Man
As well, it certainly cant do harm to have many ways to arrive at the same place.
I have asked Internet Brands about a future ability to access one thread from multiple forums. That would require a significant revision of software. At least they know it's on our wish list.

A busy forum with emotionally loaded topics is a real challenge. Travel Safety and Security was successfully split into loaded topics and benign topics. I see no way to make a clear and workable division for discussion of one airline. I wish it were possible to split one noisy forum into two or more quieter forums, but I just don't see how.

Back on topic, I have voted Yes on this motion.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Renaming Airline & Hotel Chain Forums will pass...

In accordance with the guidelines that means we'll announce if a motion has passed or failed once enough yes or no votes have been recorded by TB members, this is the public notice that this motion will pass as it has secured 6 yes votes.

Please note that not all TB members have voted yet, and so a final announcement with who voted yes/no will not be posted until all 9 have voted or the voting period ends.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
We didn't table this motion. In fact, voting is happening now.
I have completely misunderstood Post #1 then.

Thank you for enlightening me so nicely.

There are times when I wonder why I bother with FT.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.