Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Motion Passed: Create a Trusted Traveler forum

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2013, 7:11 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
No, that's not it at all, as I see it - as I posted the new TSA Pre✓™ /PreCheck program parameters above. The vetting will still occur, and now they have some experience in doing the database checking - and it will cost $85 for five years of "membership". So, there will be a fee required, it just won't be dependent on paying for GE / GOES or having airline status.

I see a lot of trusted traveller stuff in TSS-Practical as well as airlines and destination fora. IMO, the information seems quite fragmented, and TSA Pre✓™ is now going to be delinkned form airlines. If TB goes ahead with this proposal, it will be a subforum of TSS.

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
It's because those who have been participating in the Practical forum that the request was made to create the 3rd forum, as Trusted Traveler threads seem to be overwhelming the Practical forum (see the discussion in the link in post #1) & those who have questions or need additional information for something other than TT need to wade through the TT threads to find it.

The mods of TSS are ok with the change, and the majority of the FTers responding have been supportive. In fact, it's due to the input in the discussion thread by FTers that the forum description was adapted to not be so US-centric.
Originally Posted by GUWonder
TSA PreCheck is going to continue to be more commonly offered even to people who are neither airline FFP elites nor paid members in some DHS program(s). Welcome to "managed inclusion" which will make PreCheck LLL type screening available to those without background checks or program payment.

So non-"trusted traveler" PreCheck-related questions should be home in some place beside the proposed new forum? If the answer is that they should go into this new forum, why?

I'm not sure why a new forum needs to be created when the current forums are available and have worked to help get people answers for questions related to screening checkpoints and borders.

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 19, 2013 at 11:25 pm
Old Oct 19, 2013, 9:58 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by GUWonder
TSA PreCheck is going to continue to be more commonly offered even to people who are neither airline FFP elites nor paid members in some DHS program(s). Welcome to "managed inclusion" which will make PreCheck LLL type screening available to those without background checks or program payment.

So non-"trusted traveler" PreCheck-related questions should be home in some place beside the proposed new forum? If the answer is that they should go into this new forum, why?

I'm not sure why a new forum needs to be created when the current forums are available and have worked to help get people answers for questions related to screening checkpoints and borders.
Exactly right. My husband and I were flying HA from LAX to HNL the other day. TSA agent told us that we were "pre checked" and would sail right through security. We had no status on HA and have never filled out an application.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 12:31 am

Programs: AA Bonsai EXP (2.9 MM), AS MVPG
Unnecessary in my opinion. Too narrow a forum.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 1:34 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides
^
Old Oct 20, 2013, 8:20 am

Programs: USairways, United, Hilton, Marriott
Good idea. I'm TSA Pre-approved, but have been thinking of signing up for global entry, as I do 2-3 foreign trips per year. A forum would give me some info on the best way to do this.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Thumbs up

I like the idea.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 9:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'm very inclined to vote yes, but I decided not to vote right away in order to allow time for people to make arguments either way.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 9:39 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides
Originally Posted by obscure2k
^
Agreed here:

1) I don't think there is a critical mass of threads to justify it's own forum. There might not be enough activity.
2) The fragmentation has in most cases not impeded obtaining information. Many of the questions are indeed specific to the particular forum, like airline roll outs, etc.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 10:05 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
I would like a separate forum for this, as it is hard to find the information in the existing fora.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 10:18 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm very inclined to vote yes, but I decided not to vote right away in order to allow time for people to make arguments either way.
And the same for me
Old Oct 21, 2013, 12:08 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus
Excellent idea.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 2:03 pm
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
I can't see great value in this but would not oppose it. I would however caution against creating a forum title in which two (out of three) words have different spellings in different varieties of English.

I'd also note that not all expedited/automated entry systems have been created for "trusted" travellers. My registration for iris recognition at the German and UK borders only involved registering my passport and so confirming my eligibility to enter those countries -- not assessing whether I was more or less of a security risk than any other holder of the same kind of passport.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA nada, Hyatt Disc, Hilton Gold
I support this idea. There is a lot of collective experience and information to be shared on this topic, and it is a specific enough sub-set of the security topic to be worthwhile.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 5:12 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

People who can't be bothered to do a search and instead start a thread asking a stupid *PRACTICAL* question in the *DEBATE* forum are unlikely to be dissuaded by another proper place to post such a question.

I support the idea because there is a chance it will work.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 5:27 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
For those who think it won't have the critical mass, I'd ask what the threshold should be.

10 of the first 25 threads in the Practical Travel Safety Forum currently deal with trusted traveler issues. 14 of 25 topics on the second page also deal with trusted traveler programs. That's 24 active threads in one forum within the last 20 days.

Without reading all of the threads on the first page of Checkpoints & Border Debate, it looks as if 5 of the first 25 threads are trusted traveler topics that are NOT policy discussions and would also move to the new forum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.