Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Motion Passed: Create a Trusted Traveler forum

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2013, 5:33 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I'd hope the argument, er. discussion, threads would be left in the TSS Checkpoints & Border Debate Forum and the threads genuinely requesting or dispensing practical information would be left in the new forum (under Practical, to underscore the intent).

Originally Posted by chgoeditor
For those who think it won't have the critical mass, I'd ask what the threshold should be.

10 of the first 25 threads in the Practical Travel Safety Forum currently deal with trusted traveler issues. 14 of 25 topics on the second page also deal with trusted traveler programs. That's 24 active threads in one forum within the last 20 days.

Without reading all of the threads on the first page of Checkpoints & Border Debate, it looks as if 5 of the first 25 threads are trusted traveler topics that are NOT policy discussions and would also move to the new forum.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 5:47 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by JDiver
I'd hope the argument, er. discussion, threads would be left in the TSS Checkpoints & Border Debate Forum and the threads genuinely requesting or dispensing practical information would be left in the new forum (under Practical, to underscore the intent).
The Debate threads I counted as possibly being moved all seem to be requesting practical information:
  • Denied Global Entry - seeking letter writing help
  • Boston Global Entry Interviews: 5 month wait
  • Regular Line faster than PRE at LAS
  • Pre-Check only for some passengers?
  • PreCheck with metal medical implants

Granted I haven't read them all in full detail, but on the face of it, none would seem to be debate/argument topics.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 7:10 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Global Entry, Avis President's Club
As a longtime FT member but relatively infrequent poster, I think this is a great idea, IF the forum were then divided into sub-forums specific to each particular program (Global Entry, Nexus, Sentry, etc.). If you don't do this, then I fear that the problem you're hoping to solve (security program discussions scattered all over the place), will instead be replaced with a single forum with a potentially huge mishmash of threads comprised of different programs that have little practical characteristics in common with one another.

As a result, the improved organization I believe you're hoping to achieve will be self defeating.

My two cents...
Old Oct 21, 2013, 7:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA *S, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Exp, IHG Plat, National EE, Sixt Plat
This will be very helpful, especially as the discussion around programs like PreCheck become less airline-specific.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 8:17 pm

Yes

I'm not sure if this is the place to vote, but I vote Yes.

Separate the debate and harsh words from the practical advice. I've got GE and Parafe, and am eagerly awaiting ABTC.

For the concern about low volume, I would suggest using the forum home page which provides a list of all fora sorted by activity date, eliminating the need to visit each to check for recent activity.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 10:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Yes and no. Debate about trusted traveler programs will stay in the debate forum. However, the new forum would be equal to the the existing subfora (debate and practical), not a subsubforum of the current practical forum. We'll have three "equal" subfora rather than two, of which one has a further subsubforum.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 8:41 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
I am NOT happy with the expansion of the pre check program.

There were 2 older folks in front of me at pre check at DCA last Friday and it was apparent they had been selected for it rather than 'pre-cleared.' It took them FOREVER to figure out what they were supposed to do at the belt. And they were clearly bewildered as to why they were getting 'special' treatment in the first place.

One of the beauties of pre-check is that everyone there did something to get there, so understands what the rules are and how to get through quickly.

Putting random people in it is going to RUIN a great program.

All of which would make for a great thread in the new forum.

So I am voting for it.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 1:08 pm

How about a sticky/Wiki for each program in the current Forum?
Old Oct 22, 2013, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by dchristiva
Very good idea. In fact, I just came from my Global Entry in-person interview, which consisted of getting fingerprinted, watching a short video and answering some questions. I would definitely be interested in hearing from other participants about their experiences with Global Entry at other airports and the TSA PreCheck program.
Good idea! I'm a Global Entry member, and it's great. Best $100 I ever spent.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I wish every PreCheck, GE, SENTRI etc thread would be in one place. There are so many of the same questions getting asked over and over again in the individual airline forums. There has to be over 100 spread out all over FT. Heck even the destinations section has pre-check discussions
Old Oct 22, 2013, 9:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by CDKing
I wish every PreCheck, GE, SENTRI etc thread would be in one place. There are so many of the same questions getting asked over and over again in the individual airline forums. There has to be over 100 spread out all over FT. Heck even the destinations section has pre-check discussions
This started because from the beginning, PreCheck was available only to elite FF passengers on a small list of USA legacy carriers. Eligibility was originally determined by each participating airline and its FF program. So questions about who was eligible, what the procedure was, how PreCheck was handled at various airports (initially mostly hubs for the participating carriers) and whether it was available to XXX tier YYY FFers at airport ZZZ was airline specific and therefore best placed in the specific airlines and their FF programs fora.

Similarly for GE: kiosks might be available for arriving passengers at particular terminals used by particular airlines at certain airports, so that its availability was (and largely still is) carrier specific. The application procedure is uniform, but one's experience also depends on the specific terminal area that various airlines use for their international arrivals.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 9:51 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Thanks for clarifying that for us!

As an aside, that works for me...

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Yes and no. Debate about trusted traveler programs will stay in the debate forum. However, the new forum would be equal to the the existing subfora (debate and practical), not a subsubforum of the current practical forum. We'll have three "equal" subfora rather than two, of which one has a further subsubforum.

For the continually recurring questions, such tools as a FAQ, Wikipost, etc. could be features of a dedicated Forum - making it easier for newer members, and allowing broader discussion as well - such as the expansions these programs are involved in, new programs in other countries (40% or so of our members are international) and those that allow reciprocal entry rights.

Originally Posted by CDKing
Old Oct 23, 2013, 6:56 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
FAQ-type threads and Wikiposts on the issues can already be done under the current FT forum structure without creating another forum on FT. I'd rather have that done than see this proposal get rubber-stamped like I expect will happen.

No, that's not it at all, as I see it - as I posted the new TSA Pre✓™ /PreCheck program parameters above. The vetting will still occur, and now they have some experience in doing the database checking - and it will cost $85 for five years of "membership". So, there will be a fee required, it just won't be dependent on paying for GE / GOES or having airline status.

I see a lot of trusted traveller stuff in TSS-Practical as well as airlines and destination fora. IMO, the information seems quite fragmented, and TSA Pre✓™ is now going to be delinkned form airlines. If TB goes ahead with this proposal, it will be a subforum of TSS.
I'm not sure what the problem is with the "fragment" when people are able to get the answers/information they need under the current arrangements.

By the way, TSA PreCheck is not going to be completely delinked from airlines, except perhaps in the heads of those supporting this proposal who don't realize how the linking will still be there. TSA PreCheck will continue to be linked to airlines. And the way the linking works/doesn't work will vary from airline to airline for quite some time absent a government takeover and replacement of all booking processes and airline computer systems.

Not all TSA PreCheck users will be "vetted" in the way that was done for airline FFP elites and GE-type program members who are allowed to use TSA PreCheck lines or those who will do a government-backed CLEAR-type of program membership. Already TSA has decided to allow for non-program members to use TSA PreCheck and the plans are to expand that.

PreCheck went into live play in a way that included more than airline program elites. It's just that very few know about that.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 9:01 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by GUWonder

By the way, TSA PreCheck is not going to be completely delinked from airlines, except perhaps in the heads of those supporting this proposal who don't realize how the linking will still be there. TSA PreCheck will continue to be linked to airlines. And the way the linking works/doesn't work will vary from airline to airline for quite some time absent a government takeover and replacement of all booking processes and airline computer systems.

Not all TSA PreCheck users will be "vetted" in the way that was done for airline FFP elites and GE-type program members who are allowed to use TSA PreCheck lines or those who will do a government-backed CLEAR-type of program membership. Already TSA has decided to allow for non-program members to use TSA PreCheck and the plans are to expand that.

PreCheck went into live play in a way that included more than airline program elites. It's just that very few know about that.
As I noted above, I have already seen this in action as well as the horrible results of it. From my obseravations apparently anyone over the age of 70 or so has a good chance of making airlines' precheck cut. This is HORRIBLE for the efficiency of the precheck line and could very well make is SLOWER than regular lines.

All the more reason for a dedicated place to talk about it.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by GUWonder

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

"If it's broke, beware of broken fixes."

"Not everything mentioned as being broken is actually what is broken."
How about ...

"If we can't fix it, it ain't broke!"

But on topic, I think that there will be increasing reciprocity between the various TT programs and the discussion volume will increase.

So I think it is not a question of if we should have a separate TT forum, just when it will happen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.