Reload this Page >

Voting Over, Motion Passed: Create Four Budget Airline Forums

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 24, 2015, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock

On October 7, 2013, Talkboard passed 6-3:

"The Talkboard recommends the creation of Four Budget Airlines forums"

Budget Asian, Australian and South Pacific Airlines
Budget European Airlines
Budget Middle East and Africa Airlines
Budget North and South America Airlines

Voting Yes: Cholula, HansGolden, MSPeconomist, nsx, RichMSN, SkiAdcock
Voting No: goalie, jackal, kokonutz
Print Wikipost

Voting Over, Motion Passed: Create Four Budget Airline Forums

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2015, 3:27 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by nsx
I ran the metrics in November and posted them in this forum.
Did the Talk Board close any forums as a result of that review? Some reason a forum with only a dozen threads the last year, as tcook052 points out, should remain active? What criteria are you using to close forums?

Tom in the air over Nebraska en route to JFK
Old Jan 6, 2015, 3:49 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by tom911
What criteria are you using to close forums?
The forum creation criteria also apply to closing forums. In fact, the annual review was part of the proposal containing the forum creation guidelines.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 3:58 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
So what forums met the criteria to be closed last year? Was there a single one?
Old Jan 6, 2015, 4:15 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
So what forums met the criteria to be closed last year? Was there a single one?
I didn't notice any obvious candidates for closure when I compiled the statistics. Take a look yourself (it's an Excel on Google docs) and maybe you will see some.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 5:09 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

From a mod standpoint, I can see that several members have unwittingly posted topics relating to budget airlines in the four other FFP forums (and vice versa to a lesser extent), most frequently in the Other European Airlines forum. Such confusion is understandable since the difference between European legacy, regional airlines, and budget airlines has become increasingly blurred in recent years. Fortunately since all eight forums see modest levels of traffic, redirects do tend to sit around for a few weeks
Old Jan 6, 2015, 8:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Did the Talk Board close any forums as a result of that review? Some reason a forum with only a dozen threads the last year, as tcook052 points out, should remain active? What criteria are you using to close forums?

Tom in the air over Nebraska en route to JFK
I think Group Travel got closed last year.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 8:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by nsx
The original reasoning was to arrange the content logically, so that posters and readers would more readily locate the correct forum for their topic.
I appreciate that however based on Prospero's input this isn't always happening 14 months later despite the very narrowly defined forums and reinforces to me that the more forums TB adds the more confusion it creates with many members. I hope during the upcoming forum traffic review that TB considers merging some or all the "Budget" forums into the existing "Other" airline forums for simplicity sake.

Did the Talk Board close any forums as a result of that review?
Originally Posted by CMK10
I think Group Travel got closed last year.]
Close. Event & Travel Planning forum was shuttered in 2013 making it only one of 4 forums or sub-forums TB has ever closed in almost 8 years, none of which AFAIK as a result of an annual review.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 5:59 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Originally Posted by tcook052
I would like to see TB revisit the creation of these forums as one in particular, Budget Middle East and African Airlines has been very lightly trafficked with barely a dozen threads since this motion was adopted 14 months ago.

Given the forum hasn't found an audience would propose it be merged with the more heavily used Other Middle Eastern and African Airlines and renamed the Budget and Other Middle Eastern and African Airlines so as to reduce the overall number of forums by one making navigation a fraction easier for all members.
Thanks for pointing it out. I will definitely keep this in mind during the forum review in February. With such little traffic, I can agree on closing/merging it.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 6:40 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It can be good to keep a consistent forum structure. When all other regions have two fora, one for (nonbudget) airlines and one for their budget airlines, making one region be an exception could be confusing. People will still look for the regional budget forum and think that the absence of such is a glitch.

However, I've never been fond of the "other airlines" and "budget airlines" terminology in the forum titles since logically budget airlines are still airlines (although maybe some people here would disagree and assert that budget airlines are just buses with wings).
Old Jan 14, 2015, 3:36 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
What about getting rid of the underused budget airlines fora and making the others sub forums of the 'other airlines' forums for their respective reasons?
Old Jan 14, 2015, 9:46 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It can be good to keep a consistent forum structure. When all other regions have two fora, one for (nonbudget) airlines and one for their budget airlines, making one region be an exception could be confusing. People will still look for the regional budget forum and think that the absence of such is a glitch.
Based on Prospero's anecdotal evidence of misposts with the current arrangement it confuses some already so would losing a regional budget forum or two really create any more than exists at present? I wouldn't think so but that's MHO.

However, I've never been fond of the "other airlines" and "budget airlines" terminology in the forum titles since logically budget airlines are still airlines (although maybe some people here would disagree and assert that budget airlines are just buses with wings).
I wasn't fond of the idea from the outset as is recorded in this thread and saw the creation of an additional four forums as unnecessary when the existing "Other" threads could've easily been re-tasked to include "Budget" airlines. The intervening 14 months has proven how little traffic most of the "budget" forums have generated so hope TB considers either merging the four "Budget" forums into present "Other" forums or shuttering one or two of the "Budget" forums.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 9:50 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by tcook052
Based on Prospero's anecdotal evidence of misposts with the current arrangement it confuses some already so would losing a regional budget forum or two really create any more than exists at present? I wouldn't think so but that's MHO.

I wasn't fond of the idea from the outset as is recorded in this thread and saw the creation of an additional four forums as unnecessary when the existing "Other" threads could've easily been re-tasked to include "Budget" airlines. The intervening 14 months has proven how little traffic most of the "budget" forums have generated so hope TB considers either merging the four "Budget" forums into present "Other" forums or shuttering one or two of the "Budget" forums.
If we close one or more of the budget or other airline fora, where would discussion of those airlines go on FT? It seems to me that airlines (and hotels to some extent) are the core of FT so I think every airline should have a place here somewhere if someone wants to discuss that carrier or its FF program.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 9:52 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Given that both sets are very low volume, it would appear sensible to roll each of the four Budget Airline forums into the related Other Airlines forums. E.g., the Other NA/SA Airlines forum has had only 64 new threads started in the past two months (and five of those were FT award nomination polls), while the Budget NA/SA Airlines forum saw only 40 new threads in that period. It seems unlikely that posts about one type of airline would overwhelm those discussing the other type.

Also, as has been already been mentioned, the distinctions between LCCs and "full-service" carriers are becoming less and less clear. Is there really any value to discussing them separately from the other "other airlines"?
Old Jan 14, 2015, 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by exilencfc
What about getting rid of the underused budget airlines fora and making the others sub forums of the 'other airlines' forums for their respective reasons?
A problem of doing this is that doesn't shorten the list on the Forum Jump drop down menu, so in a sense, having a forum and a sub forum is equivalent to having two fora. People tend to get confused and look or post in the wrong area. If you try to go to the sub forum by clicking on Miles & Points at the take of FT pages, it takes an additional click to get there compared to if the sub forum were instead given the status of a forum.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 9:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by aBroadAbroad
Given that both sets are very low volume, it would appear sensible to roll each of the four Budget Airline forums into the related Other Airlines forums. E.g., the Other NA/SA Airlines forum has had only 64 new threads started in the past two months (and five of those were FT award nomination polls), while the Budget NA/SA Airlines forum saw only 40 new threads in that period. It seems unlikely that posts about one type of airline would overwhelm those discussing the other type.

Also, as has been already been mentioned, the distinctions between LCCs and "full-service" carriers are becoming less and less clear. Is there really any value to discussing them separately from the other "other airlines"?
I'm in favor of this for all the reasons you mentioned.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.