Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Voting Over, Motion Passed: Create Four Budget Airline Forums

Old Jan 24, 2015, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock

On October 7, 2013, Talkboard passed 6-3:

"The Talkboard recommends the creation of Four Budget Airlines forums"

Budget Asian, Australian and South Pacific Airlines
Budget European Airlines
Budget Middle East and Africa Airlines
Budget North and South America Airlines

Voting Yes: Cholula, HansGolden, MSPeconomist, nsx, RichMSN, SkiAdcock
Voting No: goalie, jackal, kokonutz
Print Wikipost

Voting Over, Motion Passed: Create Four Budget Airline Forums

Old Jan 14, 2015, 9:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by aBroadAbroad
Given that both sets are very low volume, it would appear sensible to roll each of the four Budget Airline forums into the related Other Airlines forums. E.g., the Other NA/SA Airlines forum has had only 64 new threads started in the past two months (and five of those were FT award nomination polls), while the Budget NA/SA Airlines forum saw only 40 new threads in that period. It seems unlikely that posts about one type of airline would overwhelm those discussing the other type.

Also, as has been already been mentioned, the distinctions between LCCs and "full-service" carriers are becoming less and less clear. Is there really any value to discussing them separately from the other "other airlines"?
I think I tend to agree with this, but I'd like to see the numbers for all of the fora that would be affected by such a change. We probably want our treatment of all of the airlines to be consistent. In fact, we already have a single regional forum for Russia, Ukraine, etc. (whatever it should be called) and for India-based airlines.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 10:11 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If we close one or more of the budget or other airline fora, where would discussion of those airlines go on FT?
I wasn't proposing closing any of the existing "Other" forums but rather either closing one or two "Budget" forums or better yet merging all into the "Other" forums. In the case of the Budget Middle East and African Airlines with barely a dozen threads in 14 months if it were closed couldn't the regional forum accommodate such a light load?

Originally Posted by CMK10
I'm in favor of this for all the reasons you mentioned.
As am I.

Last edited by tcook052; Jan 14, 2015 at 10:19 pm
Old Jan 14, 2015, 10:31 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I think I tend to agree with this, but I'd like to see the numbers for all of the fora that would be affected by such a change. We probably want our treatment of all of the airlines to be consistent. In fact, we already have a single regional forum for Russia, Ukraine, etc. (whatever it should be called) and for India-based airlines.
I'm not trying to be flippant, but if you want to see the numbers, why not go look at the threads we're talking about for yourself and count the threads?
Old Jan 14, 2015, 10:49 pm

Programs: HH Silver
FWIW the most recent forum activity stat.'s are in nsx post here and show not only 14 threads posted in the Budget Middle East and African Airlines since this motion passed but a scant 52 posts in that same timeframe, less than a post per week.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 5:51 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
We probably want our treatment of all of the airlines to be consistent. In fact, we already have a single regional forum for Russia, Ukraine, etc. (whatever it should be called) and for India-based airlines.
You forgot our busy Hawaii-Based Airlines Forum.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 6:32 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by lin821
Should this be merged into Other North and South American Airlines?
Old Jan 15, 2015, 8:19 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Should this be merged into Other North and South American Airlines?
Do you think Hawaii-Based Airlines Forum should be merged into Other forum?

In case I wasn't clear, I wasn't suggesting folding Hawaii-Based Airlines Forum. I was merely pointing out region- specific/based airline fora on FT, currently 3. (Linky to the most recent discussion thread)

IIRC, budget airline fora aren't set up using the same "logic" as the region- specific/based ones, even though sustainable traffic is/was the base factor for any standalone forum. Not sure if TB is considering to restructure and/or regroup both regional and budget airline fora altogether.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 9:40 am

Do you think Hawaii-Based Airlines Forum should be merged into Other forum?

In case I wasn't clear, I wasn't suggesting folding Hawaii-Based Airlines Forum. I was merely pointing out region- specific/based airline fora on FT, currently 3. (Linky to the most recent discussion thread)

IIRC, budget airline fora aren't set up using the same "logic" as the region- specific/based ones, even though sustainable traffic is/was the base factor for any standalone forum. Not sure if TB is considering to restructure and/or regroup both regional and budget airline fora altogether.
I don't know. What do people think?

There could be some logic in grouping USA and Canada Other Airlines (probably including budget) with Hawaiian and Caribbean etc. (including the Bahamas, Jamaica, Cuba) airlines and then having a separate Latin American Other Airlines forum (full service and budget combined) as I don't see many airlines where USA/Canada versus Latin America isn't clear. I'm implicity drawing the line at the Rio Grande because my impression is that there are a number of airlines that serve not only Mexico but also Central and South America, for example Copa. This also avoids the ambiguity--I'm not a geographer--of whether Central America is part of North America or South America.

I'm just thinking aloud here, but I'm concerned that if someone wanted to find a Hawaiian airline, they might not be aware of the separate Hawaiian airline forum in addition to being unsure whether a given carrier is categorized as low cost or not. So currently there are three places to look.

I suspect that the India-Based Airlines forum should remain since this is a huge and growing market, including the new Tata-SQ airline that began service a few days ago.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.