Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Voting Over, Motion Passed: Create an Information Desk Forum

Voting Over, Motion Passed: Create an Information Desk Forum

Old Nov 13, 2013, 7:18 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by kipper
Quote:

Originally Posted by goalie

I reported the post you mentioned where it should be in the AA forum along with this thread which should be in the IHG forum

Yup!

There were a few others as well that I reported. As they are still there, and both mods show activity after I reported them, perhaps the mods have decided they should stay?
I don't know but remember that our's is not to question why
Old Nov 14, 2013, 7:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by goalie
I don't know but remember that our's is not to question why
It's just one more example of... well, never mind.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Out of 39 threads in the ID forum, I see 3 that are program specific from the titles. A 4th you wouldn't know until you read the thread & saw a hotel program in the first post - although truthfully that one isn't really program specific if you think about it, as the same question has been asked in multiple hotel programs. I don't see a few as several. I do agree they should get switched to the specific airline or hotel forum with a redirect link, and my guess is that will probably happen soon.

Need to check on the sub-title wording for the forum, but that's an easy fix.

What I hope to see from those commenting in this thread is active & welcoming/helpful participation in the ID forum, and hopefully some wiki input as well.

I know there are 2 threads re: comparison of hotel & airline programs (that I'm thinking might be helpful as a sticky at some point vs just reg threads that drop down) that could use some additional info, as the mods of the ID forum aren't familiar with all programs, so perhaps folk posting in this thread want to take a look at those & add some info in the wikis. Your help & giving back to FTers would certainly be appreciated.

Information Desk is a new forum on FT that is intended to be especially helpful to newbies & even some old-timers if they don't know how to do such things on FT as My Flyertalk. It will shake itself out & find its own groove. Because of the type of forum it is which will encompass things not just program-related, but how to better utilize FT in general it's going to be more encompassing than other forums & needs a bit of time (and input) to become fully functional.

I would hope that all would be supportive of this new forum & also be helpful in it. If you have specific suggestions on things to add to it, etc, then PMs to the mods & ambassadors would be great.

Cheers.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 8:01 am

Programs: DL, AA
LOL. I hope that ya'll remember that... no more questioning why.

Seriously, it is going to take us a couple of days to figure out the best way to work things. The Info Desk is the first forum new members are brought into. Reading the TB threads, the ID was intended as both a "newbie" Q&A forum as well as a place to address cross-program questions. We're working on making it both. But those program-specific questions will be moved. Just figuring out how & where to send them... Should they be dumped into the program forum or merged into a "flame-free newbie thread" within the program forum? And there are a technical issues with both approaches. So please be patient as we work through things over the next few days.

OK... I'm out of here before I get in trouble for discussing moderation in the TB forum.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by scoow
LOL. I hope that ya'll remember that... no more questioning why.

Seriously, it is going to take us a couple of days to figure out the best way to work things. The Info Desk is the first forum new members are brought into. Reading the TB threads, the ID was intended as both a "newbie" Q&A forum as well as a place to address cross-program questions. We're working on making it both. But those program-specific questions will be moved. Just figuring out how & where to send them... Should they be dumped into the program forum or merged into a "flame-free newbie thread" within the program forum? And there are a technical issues with both approaches. So please be patient as we work through things over the next few days.

OK... I'm out of here before I get in trouble for discussing moderation in the TB forum.
Part of the issue is that the scope of the ID forum was not clearly defined, and questions like "where do we send program-specific, but newbie threads" were not answered prior to creating the forum. Perhaps there should be a newbie thread in each forum, so those questions can be moved to the program specific forum, yet still be in a "newbie" flame-free thread.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 8:17 am

Programs: DL, AA
Part of the issue is that the scope of the ID forum was not clearly defined, and questions like "where do we send program-specific, but newbie threads" were not answered prior to creating the forum. Perhaps there should be a newbie thread in each forum, so those questions can be moved to the program specific forum, yet still be in a "newbie" flame-free thread.
And then we run into some technical issues with the software FT uses & (ah, horrors) limits to moderator powers.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by scoow
And then we run into some technical issues with the software FT uses & (ah, horrors) limits to moderator powers.
So, you can't take a question about AA and merge it into an existing thread in the AA forum? Can you move it to the AA forum, and alert one of the AA mods to merge it into an existing thread?
Old Nov 14, 2013, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
So, you can't take a question about AA and merge it into an existing thread in the AA forum? Can you move it to the AA forum, and alert one of the AA mods to merge it into an existing thread?
Correct on both counts.

In that case, there is a lag between the time the post is moved to the new forum and when it is incorporated into the newbie thread (if that forum even has a newbie thread), during which time it's subject to, um, non-flame-free responses.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 11:23 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Keep Information Desk and MilesBuzz Forum in sync...

On a side note, since Information Desk Forum has been "activated", maybe it's time to update this MilesBuzz post in the sticky with the pointer to our newest addition?

Both getting started and how to use one's miles are no longer milesbuzzing topics.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lin821
On a side note, since Information Desk Forum has been "activated", maybe it's time to update this MilesBuzz post in the sticky with the pointer to our newest addition?

Both getting started and how to use one's miles are no longer milesbuzzing topics.
Suggest you PM the MilesBuzz mods with your suggestion, as they would be the ones to make the change to the sticky

Cheers.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Since I was one of the complainers about Miles Buzz, I thought I might relay an experience I had last week.

I wandered into Miles Buzz and it was free of all the freebie and advice seekers. I actually found a deal I could use - 15 points/$ at Walgreens via AA. In the past, that type of deal would have been lost, and honestly, I stopped doing more than just browsing the topics less than once a week.

So thanks TB for bringing MB back to where it was.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 10:44 am
Community Director Emerita

For those who want to find Information Desk, just yesterday, we moved it to the first spot under Miles and Points. There is also a link under the Members pull down menu at the top of the page. We want to do what we can from a programming standpoint to gently guide new members to a safe harbor.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mary2e
Since I was one of the complainers about Miles Buzz, I thought I might relay an experience I had last week.

I wandered into Miles Buzz and it was free of all the freebie and advice seekers. I actually found a deal I could use - 15 points/$ at Walgreens via AA. In the past, that type of deal would have been lost, and honestly, I stopped doing more than just browsing the topics less than once a week.

Just stopped by & it does look like it used to

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
For those who want to find Information Desk, just yesterday, we moved it to the first spot under Miles and Points. There is also a link under the Members pull down menu at the top of the page. We want to do what we can from a programming standpoint to gently guide new members to a safe harbor.
Love the phrasing - gently guide new members to a safe harbor ^

Cheers.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 10:11 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Originally Posted by Mary2e

Ditto - let me add my thanks as well. ^^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.