Rules against campaigning prevent TalkBoard from being relevant to most users

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rules against campaigning prevent TalkBoard from being relevant to most users

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2013, 3:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
I think you have to remember the mods are not a monolithic group. Some like constructive criticism, will listen to it and amend their moderation practices accordingly - some detest it, and want no-one interfering in how they run their forums and will get very defensive over anyone commenting on their practices (for an example of that, consider the responses to the criticisms of megathreading).

And while there are mod guidelines and FT rules etc, not all mods follow them and there is generally little penalty for those mods that don't. So while the rules might say something, one mod might/will interpret it differently than another mod. To bring that back on topic, I'd be wary of PMing people I hadn't had personal contact with about TB elections, because it could be viewed as spamming by some - I think as a former mod, I'd view it as spam if a member reported it to me as such, because they saw it as such.... other mods' views will differ!
Old Oct 2, 2013, 12:43 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by Jenbel
I think you have to remember the mods are not a monolithic group.
I guess that will be the case ever since Gauss discovered the normal distribution... with 90+ mods you're bound to have an example of each end of the spectrum. @:-)
Old Oct 2, 2013, 5:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by oliver2002
I guess that will be the case ever since Gauss discovered the normal distribution... with 90+ mods you're bound to have an example of each end of the spectrum. @:-)
Oh completely - it would be a bit worrying if they weren't
Old Oct 2, 2013, 4:16 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Moderators simply view FlyerTalk differently than non-moderators do.

These folks don't mind being told what to do by the CD, but they sure as hell are not going to take direction from the likes of the TB or the posters.
I for one welcome our new TalkBoard overlords.

Seriously, any member can make a pitch to our Community Director recommending creating a particular guideline for moderation. One major obstacle is that one style of moderation does not suit all forums. A moderator of a quiet forum can afford the time to be gentle with everyone. A busy forum needs harsher moderation if a small number of moderators is to be able to keep the forum reader-friendly. Overall I think FlyerTalk members are getting pretty good service from a bunch of unpaid enthusiasts.

Originally Posted by Jenbel
I think you have to remember the mods are not a monolithic group.
And as I mentioned above, different forums need different styles. Having different personality types helps in tailoring moderator style to forum needs.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, National Executive
I believe Ollive2002 just alluded to the abnormality of some Mods (er, p <.001)!!

Up until a couple hours ago I never visited TB or knew one thing about the TB Members (TBM; disclaimer, don't [anyone] take it personally but this is my favorite TBM: http://www.tbm850.com/). Like OP mentioned, I was oblivious to what was going on here and while there is an abundance of good stuff in this forum, I also agree that a majority of the information would be 'gee whiz' to the average or even prolific poster: most users probably want specific information or help on an issue, not insight into the way that information or help is presented or handled. Advertising the merits of this section to the masses may not be the most efficient way to increase interest in the subject matter: used targeted mailings, perhaps a gentle reminder to users at certain posting thresholds regarding indirect input [representative democracy] on changes to inner working of FT [using thresholds would weed out chip shot repsonses and probably focus the issue in the minds of the users most affected by an election/change]. My posting here is equivalent to voting in a true presidential election--here's what I think, here's how I'd like somebody to vote--and the TBM are essentially an electoral college (another analogy would be voting for your Congressman; a direct vote of the 'voters'/rulemakers). If timing is the other main issue outside of content awareness, then there could be a 'countdown clock' or calendar easily viewable on any main page -- separate from stickied posts -- that highlights important dates but would also create awareness of an issue: those who follow the issues would think "Oh yeah, almost forgot to mention.." while those who do not follow/unaware could think "What the?" and get their link on. As for moderators campaigning on an issue: moderators are also FTers, just as Congressman are citizens; in each case, I'm sure there are consequences to professional actions, the scope of which evolved from nothing but out of necessity for undue influence or enrichment. As a relative Newbie, I've no problem with a Mod stating a position on a subject but influencing others' is tantamount to future favoritism or leniency -- it appears to me there are controls in place to help keep professional moderation from Moderators being professional FTers.

Last edited by CaptRobPhD; Oct 3, 2013 at 1:43 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.