Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Add a Trusted Traveler forum as an offshoot of Travel Safety/Security?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 22, 2013, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Wikipost instructions: signed in members can minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post, and edit this Wikipost to update.

Please note: Comments Welcome, Voting Underway: Create a Trusted Traveler forum was begun 18 October 2013 and is also a place to discuss, support or oppose this motion, now in play and being voted upon by elected TalkBoard members. (I've been told TB members will monitor both threads.)

/Moderator
Print Wikipost

Add a Trusted Traveler forum as an offshoot of Travel Safety/Security?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2013, 11:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri

- "Discussion of practical issues directly related to programs such as Global Entry, Privium, PreCheck, SmartGate, and others"
- "Practical discussion of programs such as Global Entry, Privium, PreCheck, SmartGate, and others"
would be 2 US plus 2 non-US.
Both of those look good.

Cheers.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i would agree/think not "government", because APEC is multi-government, for example
and as kokonutz just mentioned private like CLEAR
Old Oct 11, 2013, 11:56 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I think we need to include enough so that it's not US-centric & so that people get the idea of the programs to be discussed, but I don't think we need to include every single one (from a space issue point of view for a forum description).
Agree.

LHR arrivals/departures fast track has nothing to do w/ trusted traveler programs & is based on being booked in J/F. My guess is those conversations will take place in the airline specific forums.

Cheers.
It is based on fare class, not airline. So which specific airline forum would it be discussed in?

Same with TSA 'priority access' lines. SEA, for example, is (or at least was last time i was there) famous for the long list of what is (and is not) allowed at that TSA priority access lane.

Another random example (not sure if it is private or government run) that is perfect for this proposed forum: http://www.clubmobay.com/ (note, this is a COMBINATION lounge/immigration fast track product...I have used it and it is awesome)

Point being, is this forum about programs that require a background check first, or is this forum about any and all ways to skip security and/or immigration queues?
Old Oct 11, 2013, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

destination in addition to airline, and travelbuzz

it relates to VIP/CIP, even though its just a queue not a service like those
recent VIP discussion has been in and i think moved to travel products forum now that it exists
ive always been surprised at how little VIP discussion there is on FT

what you just linked is VIP. its commercial, regardless of government connection or not, and has nothing to do with trusted traveler (trust certain people after qualification, background check, annual fees, etc) - its available to anyone for a fee per use. unlike US/HK/JP for example where they do not offer VIP services, because of government policy.

btw thanks for link, as im always interested in VIP offerings.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 11, 2013 at 12:03 pm
Old Oct 11, 2013, 12:04 pm

destination in addition to airline, and travelbuzz

it relates to VIP/CIP, even though its just a queue not a service like those
recent VIP discussion has been in and i think moved to travel products forum now that it exists
ive always been surprised at how little VIP discussion there is on FT

what you just linked is VIP. its commercial, regardless of government connection or not, and has nothing to do with trusted traveler (trust certain people after qualification, background check, annual fees, etc) - its available to anyone for a fee per use. unlike US/HK/JP for example where they do not offer VIP services, because of government policy.

btw thanks for link, as im always interested in VIP offerings.
I am always interested in VIP offerings as well! Which is why I am suggesting that this new forum may be the perfect home for VIP programs in addition to background check programs...that it *could* be a home for any and all ways to skip or cut security and/or immigration queues.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

VIP (rather than trusted traveler) >

speaking as someone extremely interested in VIP, i would personally not want it to be a tiny percentage of discussion in a trusted traveler focused forum. there is currently a thread in travel products, and travel products is not an overwhelmed forum. and there can be discussion in other forums including destination, hotel, airline, etc depending on who is offering what services.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...t-service.html in travel products

id love a VIP forum, but considering so little discussion..
Old Oct 11, 2013, 12:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Agree.

Point being, is this forum about programs that require a background check first, or is this forum about any and all ways to skip security and/or immigration queues?
To me, and I think others based on the posts in Practical that actually started the idea of a 3rd forum for TSS (see post #1 of this thread), it's the former - ie, those that require background checks. The latter seems more suited for Practical forum (or the appropriate airline or destination forum or TravelBuzz).

Cheers.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 12:38 pm

I'm trying to understand the logic of the distinction in this forum.

From a traveler's perspective, skipping/cutting the security/immigration queue is skipping/cutting the security/immigration queue.

In the US there are a few ways to do it that get one different levels of cutting the queue. In the UK there are a few ways to do it. In Australia there is at least one. Same with Jamaica.

Personally I like to skip/cut the security/immigration queue at every opportunity possible. I don't care how or what it takes...money, background checks, premium cabin tickets...I just want to be able to do it. It sure would be nice to have one place on FT where that process is discussed.

Gosh, a wiki-thread that had airport-by-airport possibilities for skipping the security/immigration queues in this proposed forum would be an A-MAZ-ING resource not just for all FlyerTalkers but for all travelers!
Old Oct 12, 2013, 4:37 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
id assume there are FTers in trial, but i guess wait until public again before considering inclusion in description.
Why wait? I'm one of them and it's already in play in some ways and will remain so for years and years. And discussing/debating it has been useful, whether some people like the discussion/debate or not.

Gosh, a wiki-thread that had airport-by-airport possibilities for skipping the security/immigration queues in this proposed forum would be an A-MAZ-ING resource not just for all FlyerTalkers but for all travelers!
Indeed, it would be very useful. Not sure why a new forum/subforum would be needed to do that.
Old Oct 12, 2013, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder

Indeed, it would be very useful. Not sure why a new forum/subforum would be needed to do that.
It wouldn't. But a forum would bring some focus.
Old Oct 12, 2013, 7:49 pm
Suspended

It wouldn't. But a forum would bring some focus.
While diluting another existing forum or two or more?

Would creating a new forum really bring more focus to threads, when there are some differences from airline to airline that may get better attention as they are now than they would get in some new home?

As may be pretty clear to some, forums are more likely to go zombie than be entirely eradicated regardless of "success" of the new forum.
Old Oct 12, 2013, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
While diluting another existing forum or two or more?

Would creating a new forum really bring more focus to threads, when there are some differences from airline to airline that may get better attention as they are now than they would get in some new home?

As may be pretty clear to some, forums are more likely to go zombie than be entirely eradicated regardless of "success" of the new forum.
I'm torn.

Back when I flew UA nearly exclusively I liked it that all of the fast track info related to UA or UA hub airports or UA destinations was in the UA forum.

But ever since the Houstonization of UA, I have become a free agent to the lowest business class fare. So now mostly what I want to know is whether and how a business class ticket on, say BA or DL or AF helps me jump the security and/or immigration queues. Or how I can jump the queues otherwise. I could dig through the forum of the airline I am flying and the destination that I am flying to that week....or if this info was centralized in a single forum I could find it all in one place.

So maybe my thinking on this issue is very selfish...
Old Oct 13, 2013, 12:30 pm
Suspended

I'm torn.

Back when I flew UA nearly exclusively I liked it that all of the fast track info related to UA or UA hub airports or UA destinations was in the UA forum.

But ever since the Houstonization of UA, I have become a free agent to the lowest business class fare. So now mostly what I want to know is whether and how a business class ticket on, say BA or DL or AF helps me jump the security and/or immigration queues. Or how I can jump the queues otherwise. I could dig through the forum of the airline I am flying and the destination that I am flying to that week....or if this info was centralized in a single forum I could find it all in one place.

So maybe my thinking on this issue is very selfish...
Self-interest is understandable. It is the confluence of concerns arising from
self-interest -- even if perceived as selfish interests -- that helps serve way more people than just one's self.

I am just throwing in my thoughts about this because I find that forums with thinned out participation are less likely to be useful to me or allow me to be helpful to others. I certainly tend to benefit far more from high-activity threads/forums than from low-activity forums.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:31 pm

As a long time reader (and former frequent poster) at TS&S, I find that in recent months the practical side is mostly all related to trusted traveller programs. There are very few threads dedicated to non-trusted traveller, practical issues.

And unfortunately, my experience with those was that they tended to be US-focussed, even if the question wasn't even about travelling to/from the US or TSA topics.

I'm a user of trusted traveller, but to be honest don't find much use anymore in the Practical forum. I don't know if further diluting it would serve much purpose. (I'm apparently quite late in reading this, because it sounds like it pretty much has already been decided, other than the wording/format?)
Old Oct 15, 2013, 9:00 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by goalie

*a spot check just now shows 13 GE type threads on the first page of the Practical forum
A separate forum would likely exacerbate that problem (or "problem").

That said, I'm fine with the proposal.

I'd also be fine with some moderator editing of thread titles, such as "Is Global Entry Worthwhile?", which really should be something like "General Global Entry Discussion Thread" At a minimum the title no longer deserves a question mark.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.