Voting Over, Motion Failed: Close the Travel News Forum

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Voting Over, Motion Failed: Close the Travel News Forum

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2013, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by cblaisd
I very much appreciate both Sharon's and Carol's reaching out to discuss this in a thoughtful, civil, respectful way to find what is most helpful for FlyerTalk.

There were two stickied "housekeeping" threads in Travel News. One of these explicitly focused on the "recap and discussion" requirement in response to both the FT TOS and some previous era spamming/post-padding in the forum. All was done in consultation with the Community Director.

That thread has now been eliminated and there is one now-updated "Welcome" thread in the forum which encourages (but does not require) discussion on what is, after all, a discussion board

In response to some other regular Travel News users thoughtfully, civilly, and respectfully reaching out, I will now (assuming the forum stays open) leave permanent re-directs (instead of just 30-day ones, as an earlier user requested) for any threads that are moved to the appropriate airline/hotel/destination forum so that FTers can better find news that is of interest.

Again, I appreciate those who have weighed in on this thread in helpful ways, along with those who have done so privately. Thank you.

cblaisd
Moderator, Travel News
Although I'm not 100% sure resolving this singular issue (of not requiring discussion vs. requiring discussion) will bring the forum back to life, as a result of this, I'd like to give Travel News a second chance to become the useful, interesting forum/clipping service it was.

I have thus just voted "no" on the proposed motion.
Old Sep 14, 2013, 4:54 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by jackal
Although I'm not 100% sure resolving this singular issue (of not requiring discussion vs. requiring discussion) will bring the forum back to life, as a result of this, I'd like to give Travel News a second chance to become the useful, interesting forum/clipping service it was.

I have thus just voted "no" on the proposed motion.
I support this decision. While the forum usefulness of the forum may still be in question, the changes made certainly seem to warrant time being allowed for it to re-develop.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 2:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Motion will fail...

In accordance with the guidelines that means we'll announce if a motion has passed or failed once enough yes or no votes have been recorded by TB members, this is the public notice that this motion will fail as it has not secured 6 yes votes.

Please note that not all TB members have voted yet, and so a final announcement with who voted yes/no will not be posted until all 9 have voted or the voting period ends.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 11:33 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by You want to go where?
I support this decision. While the forum usefulness of the forum may still be in question, the changes made certainly seem to warrant time being allowed for it to re-develop.
I agree. But of course, I will continue to keep an eye on the forum.

Old Sep 15, 2013, 11:56 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Yes, close it. There's already too much fragmentation. ^
Old Sep 15, 2013, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

there were suggestions that milebuzz be cleaned up by moving threads to other/new forums

was there any similar suggestions re travelbuzz? i presume most of travel news (that is allowed) would go there, now and in future?
Old Sep 16, 2013, 2:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kokonutz
I agree. But of course, I will continue to keep an eye on the forum.

Unless the metrics change drastically downward in the future, I can't see the Travel News forum getting closed. Obviously that's not set in stone, but it would be hard to justify closing TN when other forums that get minimal traffic are allowed to stay open.

I'd say since the part that seemed to cause the most angst among TN regulars won't be a problem in future, let's let the FTers that enjoy TN continue to do so & move on to other things, such as the 3-4 proposals we're discussing in the private forum.

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
there were suggestions that milebuzz be cleaned up by moving threads to other/new forums

was there any similar suggestions re travelbuzz? i presume most of travel news (that is allowed) would go there, now and in future?
Travel News is staying open, so I would hazard a guess most news related stories will stay in the forum. Any that are quite specific to hotel/airline chains will probably get moved, but that's been policy since the forum opened.

Changes re: MilesBuzz are being discussed, but that's a topic for another thread.

Cheers.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Motion Failed: Close the Travel News Forum

On September 16, 2013, Talkboard failed to pass 2-7:

“The TalkBoard recommends that the Travel News Forum be closed and that any current and relevant threads in that forum be moved to an appropriate other FT forum.”

Voting Yes: kokonutz, RichMSN
Voting No: cholula, goalie, HansGolden, jackal, MSPEconomist, nsx, SkiAdcock
Old Sep 16, 2013, 11:59 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
So far, so good with the new and improved old version of Newsstand. ^

And don't worry, Madame Secretary, I promise I can keep an eye on that forum AND move on to other things as well! ^
Old Sep 17, 2013, 10:38 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I voted no, but I'm open to reviving the discussion if there are still problems after the changes that have been made. However, I think we should give Travel News a chance and see how things work out first. Then, if there's still dissatisfaction, we can explore what should be done at that time.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA ExP
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I voted no, but I'm open to reviving the discussion if there are still problems after the changes that have been made. However, I think we should give Travel News a chance and see how things work out first. Then, if there's still dissatisfaction, we can explore what should be done at that time.
+1
Old Sep 17, 2013, 1:24 pm

Smile

I do not agree. I enjoy the forum and want it to stay.

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Moved by kokonutz and seconded by RichMSN:

“The TalkBoard recommends that the Travel News Forum be closed and that any current and relevant threads in that forum be moved to an appropriate other FT forum.”

This vote will close on September 20, 2013, at 2:19pm or after all TalkBoard members have registered their vote, whichever comes first.

Per the TalkBoard Guidelines:

A motion shall pass if at least two-thirds of the yes or no votes cast by TalkBoard members are ‘yes’ and a majority of the total TalkBoard membership votes 'yes.'

The purpose of posting voting topics in the public TalkBoard Topics forum is to solicit member feedback on any motions that are up for a vote and to allow for comments after a vote is made. It is at the sole discretion of the individual TalkBoard members whether they choose to post in the public discussion thread, there being no requirement to do so.

So while there is already a thread and discussion on this general topic and it is safe to assume that TalkBoard members have reviewed that thread, this thread is about this specific motion.

Please feel free to post questions, comments or any other sort of feedback in this thread, or in the other discussion thread. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...refocused.html
Old Sep 17, 2013, 4:35 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
As indicated by the thread retitle, the motion failed.

Check post #68, as well as up thread, to see the resolution of this issue.

Thanks for your feedback.

Originally Posted by acadienne
I do not agree. I enjoy the forum and want it to stay.
G

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.