Motion Failed 23 Jan 2013 - Create an Airlines of Mainland China Forum

Old Jan 10, 2013, 9:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

Moved by RichMSN and seconded by MSPEconomist:

The TalkBoard recommends to the Community Director the creation of a "Airlines of Mainland China" Forum.

This poll will close on Jan 23, 13 at 11:24 pm or after all TalkBoard members have registered their vote, whichever comes first.

Per the TalkBoard Guidelines:

A motion shall pass if at least two-thirds of the yes or no votes cast by TalkBoard members are yes and a majority of the total TalkBoard membership votes 'yes.'

The purpose of posting voting topics in the public TalkBoard Topics forum is to solicit member feedback on any motions that are up for a vote and to allow for comments after a vote is made. It is at the sole discretion of the individual TalkBoard members whether they choose to post in the public discussion thread, there being no requirement to do so.

So while there is already a thread and discussion on this general topic and it is safe to assume that TalkBoard members have reviewed that thread, this thread is about this specific motion.

Please feel free to post questions, comments or any other sort of feedback in this thread, or in the other discussion thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...ina-forum.html
Old Jan 10, 2013, 9:19 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Announcement posted in the Other Asian... FFP forum!
Old Jan 10, 2013, 9:44 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Should someone (senior moderator?) also post an announcement in the China destination forum?
Old Jan 10, 2013, 9:54 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Done!
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Should someone (senior moderator?) also post an announcement in the China destination forum?
Mods can do so/no problem, but as standard practice a FT site-wide announcement goes up for the voting period.

Cheers.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:44 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Mods can do so/no problem, but as standard practice a FT site-wide announcement goes up for the voting period.
That's my understanding as well. Our Community Director always makes a site-wise "global" announcement within hours, if not minutes, once a TB motion is in place. Not sure why this motion should be any different? Does it mean a new protocol to make announcement for TB motions from now on?

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Announcement posted in the Other Asian... FFP forum!
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Done!

ETA:
BTW, I don't know if there's enough support for this proposed forum among TBers but I like TB uses a clear forum name for this motion to include only PRC airlines.

I may be nitpicking but I doubt PRC refers to themselves as "Mainland" China. As far as I know, none of the "westerners" use "Mainland" to describe PRC airlines. Only people in Taiwan refer to PRC as "Mainland" because of the history between China and Taiwan. I haven't encountered enough PRC folks but I learn they use "inland" (內地) when it comes down to geographical reference. Since this motion is about airlines per se, instead of destination and/or geography, why not just call a horse a horse, "China-based Airlines Forum" or "Airlines of People's Republic of China Forum?"

Last edited by lin821; Jan 10, 2013 at 12:46 pm Reason: ETA: clarification & wording
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lin821
That's my understanding as well. Our Community Director always makes a site-wise "global" announcement within hours, if not minutes, once a TB motion is in place. Not sure why this motion should be any different? Does it mean a new protocol to make announcement for TB motions from now on?
I shall inform the Community Director that she needs to be available 24/7, all 1440 minutes daily & that her inability to post the sitewide announcement 90 minutes after I posted it/sent her a PM is unacceptable As you know, the CD is very responsive. No new protocol & this motion isn't any different. It's probably that she's not online at the moment & will post the sitewide announcement when she gets online.

Cheers.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:19 am
Suspended

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
Although Im far from voting on this one, my principle would be this golden words by RichMSN;

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/17394976-post14.html

Well spoken^
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:40 am

I shall inform the Community Director that she needs to be available 24/7, all 1440 minutes daily & that her inability to post the sitewide announcement 90 minutes after I posted it/sent her a PM is unacceptable As you know, the CD is very responsive. No new protocol & this motion isn't any different. It's probably that she's not online at the moment & will post the sitewide announcement when she gets online.
Sharon, reading from your rolleyes emoticon and sarcasm, I think you misunderstood my message.

Perhaps I wasn't clear. Let me try again. I was saying we all should be patient that our devoted CD would have a site-wide announcement up very soon, as she had always been in the past without fail. I was questioning the practice of having forum-specific announcement from forum MODs before the site-wide announcement, unless it was going to be a new protocol to announce TB motions on FT. I have no complaint about the timing when our CD posts board-wide announcement.

None of that is relevant to the motion at hand. I think other than participating in the existing discussion thread, folks will enjoy more reading comments about PRC airlines.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

relevant statistics - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...l#post19898183

but im guessing the issue (including past votes) is taiwan

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jan 10, 2013 at 12:13 pm
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
im guessing the issue (including past votes) is taiwan
What issue?

FWIW, this TB motion is about PRC airlines. Taiwan is not up for vote this time around. I am also not aware of any past TB votes on "Taiwan issue" on FT, whatever it may be.

Let's see if FTers will show enough support for this proposed forum before Jan 23rd to earn enough TBers to pass this motion.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

you were the first person to mention taiwan in this thread, in your first reply
you participated in other thread, which had lots of comments on taiwan (some used lots of capital letters)

if there is forum, there could be continual "include taiwan" "exclude taiwan" to the point of actually voting the change into effect back and forth, repeatedly.
when does FTer support win TB votes?

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jan 10, 2013 at 12:39 pm
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:20 pm

when does FTer support win TB votes?
Here's one example of FTers supporting a forum:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...ers-forum.html

ETA:

see all the comments on taiwan in other thread, which you posted in
I did & I have, and I am still confused about what issue you have in mind. I am just not following your logic. Grouping Taiwanese and PRC airlines in one forum isn't as big a concern among FTers as (dis)counting OMNI posts, you know. I doubt your "prediction" would come true:

if there is forum, there could be continual "include taiwan" "exclude taiwan" to the point of actually voting the change into effect back and forth, repeatedly.
Oh, have I said Taiwanese airlines are not up for vote here? Yes, I did.

you were the first person to mention taiwan in this thread, in your first reply
If you can't tell the context why I brought up "Taiwan" in post#6 and insist on keeping Taiwan when discussing this "Airlines of Mainland China Forum" motion, I really have nothing else to say.

Last edited by lin821; Jan 10, 2013 at 1:27 pm Reason: ETA & adding a quote & reply
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
Im fine with leaving Taiwan out. It wont jumpstart a new forum as much without though, but still there is significant traffic on mainland carriers to justify a forum, and the upside is huge, with all those carriers, FFPs and members of main alliances.

Actually splitting mainland and Taiwanese carriers can be benefitial to the other forum,and with a sticky on Taiwanese there, as well as total number of posts on these are fewer, it might be better to let Taiwan stay.

It can possibly help reduce confusion on China airlines vs Air China as well.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

(re taiwan) all that matters is what other people think about taiwan (include or exclude)

Moved by RichMSN and seconded by MSPEconomist:

The TalkBoard recommends to the Community Director the creation of a "Airlines of Mainland China" Forum.
Originally Posted by RichMSN
I've made a formal proposal to create a forum.

For the record, I intend to vote against it provided it receives a second.
so its actually tabling a vote
not two people "moved" and "seconded" "recommends"

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.