FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TalkBoard Topics (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkboard-topics-382/)
-   -   Flyertalk "too big to share"? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkboard-topics/1500325-flyertalk-too-big-share.html)

OHijAAzi73 Sep 4, 2013 10:18 pm

Flyertalk "too big to share"?

Well...I'am thinking out loud here....I thought about posting this thread few months ago,given the many deals that were shut down shortly after sharing it here...one after another ...it used to last years (mint about 3 years)...then just few months (Ink cards @OD)...few days (too many)...and now barely lasting few hours.

Some people like to blame the bloggers with arrows and smiley pictures for killing deals,but flyertalk members are 500+ K now ,bloggers? few thousands ....so I'am not sure about that....there is also FW and SD with much bigger followers as well.

It could be just the power of social media and the speed of information sharing among members,and its easy for these banks/companies to notice the sudden spike in demand for various products over short period of time so they can look into it.

There are a lot of deals that went underground and being shared in private groups...which brings me to this question...what is the purpose of flyertalk?
Is it becoming "Too big to share" ?

lili Sep 4, 2013 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by OHijAAzi73 (Post 21391258)
......what is the purpose of flyertalk?

No.

There is much more to FlyerTalk than deals, mistake fares, and scams. Expand your horizons and look around a bit more.

artemis Sep 4, 2013 10:32 pm

In my humble opinion, a "deal" which will be killed if it's shared isn't an honest deal, but a scam for exploiting someone else. Who cares if those get killed off? There are plenty of other ways to earn points and miles honestly.

gooselee Sep 4, 2013 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by lili (Post 21391290)

......what is the purpose of flyertalk?

No.

There is much more to FlyerTalk than deals, mistake fares, and scams. Expand your horizons and look around a bit more.

+1000000

While reading the manufactured spend threads is quite interesting, I get much, much more out of the trip reports, quick responses to questions, great analysis/explanation of how programs play out in reality, and all kinds of other things.

Often just being knowledgeable about the legitimate, expected workings of a program allows you to maximize the benefits quite a bit, all without having to do fiscal gymnastics.

tom911 Sep 4, 2013 11:06 pm

what is the purpose of flyertalk?

To discuss travel, particularly air travel, hotels, and country-specific travel. Those have pretty much been the main topics since I started here 13 years ago and really haven't changed.

I could care less about bloggers and those who have gone "underground". They don't impact my FlyerTalk experience.

tom911 Sep 6, 2013 1:03 pm

There are a lot of deals that went underground and being shared in private groups...which brings me to this question...what is the purpose of flyertalk?

Were you satisfied with the four answers that members provided, or were you looking for some further action by the Talk Board?

goalie Sep 6, 2013 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by lili (Post 21391290)

...what is the purpose of flyertalk?

No.

Agreed 1,000,000% ^.

• Wanna know where to sit on what type of aircraft?
  • Wanna learn which rental cars to avoid at a certain rental car company?
  • Wanna know what you can/cannot bring on board an aircraft thanks to our friends at the TSA?
  • Wanna know where's the best place to exchange currency in Paris?
  • Wanna know who likes the Red Sox and hates the Yankees?*
  • Wanna know why your iPhone isn't working properly?
  • Wanna know what might be the best and worst piece of carry-on luggage?
  • Wanna meet and make new friends at a DO (either large or small)?
  • Wanna talk politics?

These are just a few of the many, many, many non-deal related things on F/t and these are just some of the things I've learned and experienced

*notice I worded it ;)

Doc Savage Sep 6, 2013 3:27 pm

I have to admit that I hesitated to share a special (legitimate) discount code with an FTer when I saw he was a blogger. Didn't want that particular golden goose killed. I felt (a little) bad.