Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Defining the mission of MilesBuzz; Adding a Flame Free Q&A Forum?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Defining the mission of MilesBuzz; Adding a Flame Free Q&A Forum?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2013, 3:25 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The nature of the information desk will largely depend on how FT regulars respond to posts. It should ideally be welcoming but not a dumbed down version of the information in other fora. People should be encouraged to learn how to use FT to get information and discouraged from taking the lazy path of never moving beyond the help desk to figure out how to find stuff on their own. I would hope that this is stressed in any "read this first" notices or sticky threads.
And playing devil's advocate-a) the "welcome to your first visit" forum imho, is just that-a first visit and (again, imho), do you think that new members will use that forum after they are dumped there on their first visit and b) imho, it's hard enough seeing all the "do a search"/"search is your friend" posts in the existing forums and if the new "welcome forum" will be flame free, will members who post "do a search"/"search is your friend" types of posts be "reminded" that posts of that nature are not the basis of the new forum (and yes, I know that is up to the forum moderator(s) but I'm asking you specifically for your opinion)

Originally Posted by tcook052
I understand but feel we shouldn't combine a newbie welcome forum with an award forum as MHO would be to end the current practice of multiple award comparison advice threads and encourage those comparisons to be done within exisiting program forums.
Agreed ^
Old Sep 6, 2013, 3:26 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by mia
How would you handle the more common situation where a topic has been under discussion in the program forum for a few days, and another member starts a parallel thread in MilesBuzz!, completely oblivious to the established discussion?
Three possible ways, any of which would be fine:

1. A member could post the link and ask the OP to edit the top post to add the link.

2. A moderator could edit the top post to add the link.

3. A member could create a Wikipost at the top of the thread and include the link.

The 4th option is for a moderator to delete the thread, but I regard that as an inferior option unless the topic is not "hot" enough.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by nsx
3. A member could create a Wikipost at the top of the thread and include the link.
^^^
Old Sep 6, 2013, 5:06 pm

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by nsx
Three possible ways, any of which would be fine:

1. A member could post the link and ask the OP to edit the top post to add the link.

2. A moderator could edit the top post to add the link.

The 4th option is for a moderator to delete the thread, but I regard that as an inferior option unless the topic is not "hot" enough.
That's an awful lot of "could's"
Old Sep 6, 2013, 5:34 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by goalie
That's an awful lot of "could's"
It's not up to TalkBoard to figure out how the forum operates, only that the definition of the forum makes it reasonable to expect fairly smooth operation.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
It's not up to TalkBoard to figure out how the forum operates, only that the definition of the forum makes it reasonable to expect fairly smooth operation.
Correct as to it not being up to TB to figure out how a forum operates but to simply throw it to the moderators with a "here you go, we voted on this, you fix it" is imho, not productive. Also (and no disrespect the the membership), but I can't think that members will all be asking OP's to edit their posts and/or create a wiki posts-yes the wiki posts are growing but that, like this is also a work in progress. Now with that being said, the premise proposed is good but imho, it needs a lot more work vs what (imho) I see being rushed through.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by goalie
Correct as to it not being up to TB to figure out how a forum operates but to simply throw it to the moderators with a "here you go, we voted on this, you fix it" is imho, not productive. Also (and no disrespect the the membership), but I can't think that members will all be asking OP's to edit their posts and/or create a wiki posts-yes the wiki posts are growing but that, like this is also a work in progress. Now with that being said, the premise proposed is good but imho, it needs a lot more work vs what (imho) I see being rushed through.
^ Exactly. Slow down TB and get some more input.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA ExP
At this point, I'm in favor of splitting MB into a Buzz forum and a Questions forum. However, I have two practical questions I haven't seen a good answer/solution for:
1. How are dupe threads handled between buzz and FFP/CC forum?
2. What should the questions forum (which I'd like to see sit at the very top of the forum hierarchy) be named to encompass both newbie flame-free questions and trip/award planning questions?

On #1, I'm actually flirting with the idea of having the Buzz forum locked. Then mods could move buzzworthy threads from FFP forums to MB and then instantly back to their home forum leaving a permanent redirect. I hate dupe threads and find them very inefficient.

If people don't like that idea, I'd be in favor giving Buzz a very explicit mandate to be overview only, with a link at top to main, in-depth thread.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 10:02 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by HansGolden
...I haven't seen a good answer/solution for: <snip>

2. What should the questions forum (which I'd like to see sit at the very top of the forum hierarchy) be named to encompass both newbie flame-free questions and trip/award planning questions?
IMHO, there's no such forum name and solution for this.

As I had said before, a general A forum is NOT the same as an award planning forum and they shouldn't be lumped together in a single forum. I don't know how many new fora should "branched out" from our currently catchall-MilesBuzz! Forum but I am not fond of the idea to have a general Q forum to take on the challenge of award planning advice/suggestion. To say the least, neither general advice nor award redemption is milesbuzzing.

The forum structure on FT is theme-based & savvy FTers are quite mile/point conscious in terms of earning and redeeming. I believe traffic and earning strategies are some major reasons behind creating our mint Manufactured Spending Forum. Folks visit this new forum, knowing they will be reading about "spending strategies" to earn mile/point. I think it was a wise decision from admin to have Manufactured Spending Forum separated from the longstanding general Credit Card Programs Forum, where some of the basics about cc and credit rating is discussed. I say if the Manufactured Spending were to pour into CC Programs Forum, the discussion and participation level may have been a different story from today.

The theme for Manufactured Spending is very clear: strategizing for the purpose of earning point/mile. If a new general advice forum were created to house a wide range of newbie Qs and award planning, I am afraid it would lose its clear focus and/or appeal on award planning mindstorming sessions. I am not saying award planning is not advice seeking. It's just award planning has a distinct theme, planning awards, especially when currently there's no forum on FT that can properly address cross-program/alliance comparison w/r/t award planning, we need a good home for this type of discussion. Just like threads on manufactured spending, the number of request threads about award redemption has proved its need and case. It goes without saying, award for a specific FFP or hotel program belongs to its own forum. My idea of an award planning forum is NOT meant to be a parallel or duplicate discussion forum from our standalone FFP/hotel fora.

ps. I am having some computer problem recently, so I don't have the same liberty and laptop time to explain myself as clearly as I used to. I can only try my best to squeeze some food for thought when my time allows before TB finalizing any motion/s to restructuring FT.

Last edited by lin821; Sep 15, 2013 at 10:23 pm
Old Sep 16, 2013, 12:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by lin821
It's just award planning has a distinct theme, planning awards, especially when currently there's no forum on FT that can properly address cross-program/alliance comparison w/r/t award planning, we need a good home for this type of discussion. Just like threads on manufactured spending, the number of request threads about award redemption has proved its need and case. It goes without saying, award for a specific FFP or hotel program belongs to its own forum. My idea of an award planning forum is NOT meant to be a parallel or duplicate discussion forum from our standalone FFP/hotel fora.
Sorry but I respectfully disagree and see any catch-all award forum as definitely duplicating what could and should be directed toward the individual airline/hotel fora.

While well meant IMHO we do a disservice to the mostly new members when we give quick answers to what are fairly complex comparisons and would rather see us focus instead on encouraging them to break down the laundry list of programs into more manageable chunks and do their own research within in the individual airline/hotel/CC for a and educate themselves about what programs work best for them and why.

That's merely MHO.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 2:01 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Award Planning 4 those who have choices & those who don't even know their options...

I had elaborated what kind of award planning forum I was proposing (see post#6, post#14, post#17, post#21), so I am not going to repeat myself.

Who says you have to or would even notice those separate threads? Not sure also how separate threads on separate topics in separate forums is bad or contrary to TOS as that's exactly what I did when asking about UA awards on NH, Hilton hotel info and destination advice in the both Japan and San Francisco forums while planning a recent NRT trip. How does that do nobody good? It sure worked for me as I got the answers to the specific questions I had when I had them so why do we want to offer what seems to me to be a disincentive to utilizing the present resources FT has? I can't say it makes sense to me but that's merely MHO and YMMV.
(bolding mine)

I tried to look up your referenced thread/s but couldn't find the specifics that you asked for comparisons among programs. However, from your descriptions, it seems you've made up your mind which specific airline and hotel you were going to use, hence it made perfect sense to post your questions in each designated fora. My proposed award planning forum wouldn't be the right place for you anyway.

I am also not advocating this award planning forum to be a one-stop shop and/or travel agency/operator to plan for one's vacation. Award Planning Forum isn't a place for anyone to relieve themselves from doing their own legwork or homework.

Without base knowledge of individual airline/hotel programs, comparisons won't be possible. Research for a specific airline, hotel and destination is best done in its designated forum. There's no doubt about that. However, it's hard, if not impossible, to get cross-program input when a thread posts in an individual loyal program forum. Challenges present themselves for those who have options but haven't made up their mind. That's where Award Planning Forum comes in. Both newbie and savvy FTers like to have input, 2nd or even 3rd opinion on what's the best combo of route/redemption/airline for their itinerary. FT currently doesn't have a sufficient channel to meet such need. Of course, we do have alliance fora but that doesn't fully address cross-alliance comparison w/r/t redemption.

Sorry but I respectfully disagree and see any catch-all award forum as definitely duplicating what could and should be directed toward the individual airline/hotel fora.

While well meant IMHO we do a disservice to the mostly new members when we give quick answers to what are fairly complex comparisons
I am not proposing a catch-all award forum at all, if you read my earlier posts. Not to mention it's impossible to give quick answers to fairly complex comparisons.

Don't forget some of the most interesting award assistance requests are NOT from new members.

So, without an new award planning forum, which individual forum should this thread belong to, tcook052, if you don't mind me asking (again), since it's not milesbuzzing?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...ynesia-13.html
Old Sep 16, 2013, 7:07 am

Lin821, I did read your posts in this thread and am well aware that your preference is to have separate Newbie/InfoDesk and AwardBooking forums. Thank you for the passion and work you put into your posts. That being said, this is one place where I (and a few others on TB) simply disagree. It doesn't feel like we should be adding two forums because there is not the demonstrated volume and need. At this point my vision (and I think I can safely say, the vision of a few other TBers) is to add (converted from those MB threads) a catch all questions forum at the very top. Perhaps you are right and there's enough distinct traffic in both categories to warrant two different forums, but it seems to me that I won't be able to tell that until the forum has been up and running while being properly labeled. It seems starting off with one forum is the more measured, deliberate, empirical course of action. Given your insight into FT, you very well could be right, but for those of us less astute, we're going to try for a double first instead of swinging for the fences.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 10:04 am

It doesn't feel like we should be adding two forums because there is not the demonstrated volume and need. At this point my vision (and I think I can safely say, the vision of a few other TBers) is to add (converted from those MB threads) a catch all questions forum at the very top.
^ though hope in its wisdom TB resists the temptation to call it an 'awards' forum.

Originally Posted by lin821
So, without an new award planning forum, which individual forum should this thread belong to, tcook052, if you don't mind me asking (again), since it's not milesbuzzing?
Isn't there already an existing forum in which topics on French Polynesia including how to get there are discussed?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ocean...h-pacific-706/
Old Sep 16, 2013, 10:06 am

^ though hope in its wisdom TB resists the temptation to call it an 'awards' forum.
At this point I'm leaning toward having a generic "Questions"-type title with example types of questions (yes, sorry, including awards) in the subtitle.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 11:54 am

At this point I'm leaning toward having a generic "Questions"-type title with example types of questions (yes, sorry, including awards) in the subtitle.
Then I'm sorry too Hans as while I understand what you're saying and respect your opinion I just can't see a dual purpose forum working as intended as the generic newbie questions about where to start collecting FFP/FFM for example will likely be vastly outnumbered by the 'award' queries.

We've had many loyalty programs for years so why weren't there more cross-program/alliance comparisons until fairly recently? IMHO because the proliferation of CC programs and card churning has made it easier for more people to earn while adding another layer of programs on top of the more establish ones like airline and hotel programs. This earnings shift has left lots of newcomers confused about which program awards work well in certain situations and why and so seek quick answers to help them decide but IMHO we should resist the reflex to want to provide answers but rather help those members find their own answers in one of the individual fora.

There are enough possibilities to compare airline programs both within, AC vs. SQ for example within Star Alliance, and between alliances, Oneworld vs. Star Alliance, in addition to hotel & CC loyalty programs that creating another forum to facilitate comparing half a dozen all at once is IMHO unnecessary and redundant.

While I normally don't compare IBB's as they are all different can't help note that MP doesn't have an award forum but does have a dedicated 'newbie' forum that serves as a friendly flame free starting point for new members, something I think we should emulate on FT. Sure there is the odd award queries posted in that space on MP but by not referring to it as such it hasn't become a focus of that forum.

Just MHO and YMMV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.