Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Defining the mission of MilesBuzz; Adding a Flame Free Q&A Forum?

Defining the mission of MilesBuzz; Adding a Flame Free Q&A Forum?

Old Aug 24, 13, 11:20 am

Programs: Work in progress.
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock View Post
My guess is we'll be getting to this and other items in September when everyone's back from summer vacations and biz trips.

Cheers.
_______
Thanks!
Old Aug 24, 13, 11:20 am

Programs: Work in progress.
Originally Posted by nsx View Post
FWIW, I just started a straw poll on the TalkBoard covering several subjects. I expect that to take 2 weeks or so, then you might see a vote begin on something.

But yes, the TalkBoard definitely moves slowly. It takes some getting used to, but we've found that moving to a vote without a lot of discussion first is hazardous. All too often people discover a necessary revision AFTER the vote starts, and then we have a mess on our hands. Getting people to think the matter over before the vote starts is not always possible. So we go slowly to maximize the accuracy of the idea and its wording.
What sort of a resolution are you leaning towards?
Old Aug 24, 13, 11:55 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist Lite; United Club ex-Lifetime Member
Originally Posted by jatink129 View Post
Here's my draft on this thread's subject:

1. Add a new "Information Desk" forum at the top of the list of forums. Its subtitle could be "New Member Q&A and Award Travel Advice". All newly registering members would be redirected to the Information Desk forum as their first post-signup screen.

2. Re-title "MilesBuzz!" to be "Miles & Points Hot Topics", with the subtitle "Hot Deals and Breaking News in the World of Miles & Points". The mission of this forum would be to highlight hot deals, new devaluations, and present blog-like subject matter. In essence M&PHT would resemble a continuous TalkMail.
Old Aug 24, 13, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
2. Re-title "MilesBuzz!" to be "Miles & Points Hot Topics", with the subtitle "Hot Deals and Breaking News in the World of Miles & Points". The mission of this forum would be to highlight hot deals, new devaluations, and present blog-like subject matter. In essence M&PHT would resemble a continuous TalkMail.
Where do the moderators of that forum stand on this change?
Old Aug 24, 13, 12:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by jatink129 View Post
Not been a lot of discussion due to TB members traveling/being limited & offline this summer, so to answer what resolution we're leaning towards wouldn't even make sense or be accurate at this point. In previous years we haven't had as many TB members offline during the summer months, so items did get discussed/made motions/voted on in the summer & also in timely fashion. This summer just worked out a bit different.

nsx has just brought up his thoughts on 4 items this morning asking for input, but my guess is we won't really dig into all of that until after the US Labor Day holiday & then discussions will commence (although definitely not dragged out, so no worries there!). Speaking only for myself, I intend to review the pertinent threads in the public TB forum to get the viewpoints/input from FT members on the 4 items before even addressing/commenting in the private forum. nsx has mentioned his thoughts on the items, 2 of which he briefly outlines above. Doesn't mean that will be how they work out, however. Might be; might not be. Depends on input from FTers & TB members once we roll up our sleeves & really get into it.

One advantage of FTers continuing to post throughout the summer is we've gotten some good input to consider, so thanks to all those who have posted their thoughts on this & the other topics!!

Cheers.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Aug 24, 13 at 12:44 pm Reason: correct a couple of words to make more sense...
Old Aug 31, 13, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA, HH, SPG
Still waiting to hear if the TalkBoard will split off the "Advice" posts into a separate forum or sub-forum. Please - something needs to be done. Thanks.
Old Aug 31, 13, 9:47 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
See post 103 and post 110 (the one directly above yours).

Cheers
Old Sep 4, 13, 6:49 pm
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist Lite; United Club ex-Lifetime Member
Here's my latest draft version of this proposal:

Add a new "Information Desk" forum at the top of the list of forums. Its subtitle could be "New Member Q&A and Award Travel Advice". All newly registering members would be redirected to the Information Desk forum as their first post-signup screen.

Re-title "MilesBuzz!" to be "Miles & Points Hot Topics", with the subtitle "Hot Deals and Breaking News in the World of Miles & Points". The mission of this forum would be to highlight hot deals, new devaluations, and present blog-like subject matter. These topics would be, in effect, double posting of deals already covered in their home forums. So in essence M&PHT would resemble a continuous TalkMail.

Modify the FlyerTalk Terms of Service to explicitly permit cross-posting for hot deals and breaking news to the M&PHT forum as long as the post includes a link to the thread in the primary forum, if any.

Commentary:

I wish vBulletin had the ability for a thread to appear in two forums, but it doesn't and that would be very hard to add.

I admit that there's potential for duplication and confusion, but in the end the members will determine how the Hot Topics forum is used. I hope members follow the example set by Moderators and Ambassadors in using Wikis to summarize information.

I foresee discussion of simple aspects occurring in Hot Deals and all detailed questions being asked in the home forum. That will give new arrivals a gentler learning curve, since they won't have to jump into a frenetic forum right off the bat. The Hot Deals thread will be like a wading pool before you are ready to jump off the high dive.
Old Sep 4, 13, 11:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan, Canada & Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by nsx
Add a new "Information Desk" forum at the top of the list of forums. Its subtitle could be "New Member Q&A and Award Travel Advice".
Actually "Information Desk" is how I view this topic as to me FT is like a vast library of FF and travel information yet rather than encourage visitors to come in and spend time researching individual programs we seem to prefer building an information desk at the library entrance to enable them not to visit each section and learn more. Why merely give answers when we can encourage learning? That doesn't mean to take anything away from those who do offer input on the forum at present but feel we should move away from the existing smorgasbord award comparison format.

FWIW MHO would be not to include the term 'awards' in even a subtitle of a new forum and would rather focus it on helping all members - not just new ones- ask flame free questions or find how to navigate FT. Call it "Square One", "Home Base" or "Forum One" and describe it as an relaxed space to lounge & learn. I do like the idea that new members be directed here post-signup as that seems quite intuitive.

Just a few thoughts on the topic.
Old Sep 5, 13, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR (ex-75K, GLD, 1K, and S+), Choice Diamond, HZ PC, Costco Exec, NPS Passport
Originally Posted by tcook052 View Post
Actually "Information Desk" is how I view this topic as to me FT is like a vast library of FF and travel information yet rather than encourage visitors to come in and spend time researching individual programs we seem to prefer building an information desk at the library entrance to enable them not to visit each section and learn more. Why merely give answers when we can encourage learning? That doesn't mean to take anything away from those who do offer input on the forum at present but feel we should move away from the existing smorgasbord award comparison format.

FWIW MHO would be not to include the term 'awards' in even a subtitle of a new forum and would rather focus it on helping all members - not just new ones- ask flame free questions or find how to navigate FT. Call it "Square One", "Home Base" or "Forum One" and describe it as an relaxed space to lounge & learn. I do like the idea that new members be directed here post-signup as that seems quite intuitive.

Just a few thoughts on the topic.
I had mentioned something like "FlyerTalk Signpost" or something before. I like where you're going, and I agree the new forum should be more as you describe (a place to help newbies navigate FT), maybe with some occasional general help provided on broad topics with pointers for where to go for more detailed assistance.
Old Sep 5, 13, 8:16 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The nature of the information desk will largely depend on how FT regulars respond to posts. It should ideally be welcoming but not a dumbed down version of the information in other fora. People should be encouraged to learn how to use FT to get information and discouraged from taking the lazy path of never moving beyond the help desk to figure out how to find stuff on their own. I would hope that this is stressed in any "read this first" notices or sticky threads.
Old Sep 6, 13, 11:56 am
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

FWIW MHO would be not to include the term 'awards' in even a subtitle of a new forum and would rather focus it on helping all members - not just new ones- ask flame free questions or find how to navigate FT.
The reason for mentioning Award Travel is to push generic Award planning threads out of the MilesBuzz (Hot Topics) forum.

The "Information Desk" term is borrowed from its use in airports. If not for that we might have chosen different words.
Old Sep 6, 13, 2:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan, Canada & Manufactured Spending

The reason for mentioning Award Travel is to push generic Award planning threads out of the MilesBuzz (Hot Topics) forum.
I understand but feel we shouldn't combine a newbie welcome forum with an award forum as MHO would be to end the current practice of multiple award comparison advice threads and encourage those comparisons to be done within exisiting program forums.
Old Sep 6, 13, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR (ex-75K, GLD, 1K, and S+), Choice Diamond, HZ PC, Costco Exec, NPS Passport
I understand but feel we shouldn't combine a newbie welcome forum with an award forum as MHO would be to end the current practice of multiple award comparison advice threads and encourage those comparisons to be done within exisiting program forums.
The trouble with that is, if you post a question about "Should I choose AA or UA?" in the UA forum, you'll get a bunch of UA fans saying "UA," UA antagonists saying "not UA," and a large number of people in there saying, "this is the UA forum; I have no idea about anything AA."

In the AS forum, we often get questions about whether to collect AS miles or DL miles. Most of the time, our collective response is basically, "We don't know much about the DL program except that it has a bad reputation, so sure, collect AS miles."

A better place for cross-program discussion is needed, IMHO.
Old Sep 6, 13, 3:17 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Re-title "MilesBuzz!" to be "Miles & Points Hot Topics", with the subtitle "Hot Deals and Breaking News in the World of Miles & Points".
I don't see a reason to abandon the MilesBuzz! name.

I agree that there is a need for a forum which allows members to become aware of offers or developments in programs which they otherwise do not follow, but we should avoid allowing any one topic (e.g. credit cards) becoming the dominant theme of the forum.

explicitly permit cross-posting for hot deals and breaking news to the M&PHT forum as long as the post includes a link to the thread in the primary forum,
I think you mean that one member could post the same deal twice, once in a program forum and then in MilesBuzz!, with a link to the thread in the program forum. How would you handle the more common situation where a topic has been under discussion in the program forum for a few days, and another member starts a parallel thread in MilesBuzz!, completely oblivious to the established discussion?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: