Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Defining the mission of MilesBuzz; Adding a Flame Free Q&A Forum?

Defining the mission of MilesBuzz; Adding a Flame Free Q&A Forum?

Old Jul 31, 13, 5:34 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist Lite; United Club ex-Lifetime Member
Thanks to everyone for the thoughtful discussion. I am on the way home from vacation with some time to study this subject afresh. My current preference is as follows:

1. At the top of the list of forums, add New Member Q&A and Travel Advice, as suggested by beltway as his third option:
Originally Posted by beltway View Post
Create a new Newbie [or Award Advice] forum & place it before MilesBuzz in the fourm list, so it draws these non-MBish posts.
2. Move MilesBuzz further down the list. Re-title it (as suggested by crabbing and others) Miles & Points Hot Topics. Make its stated mission to highlight all hot deals, bad news, and other topics which would fit in TalkMail or blogs. To advance this purpose, FT rules should explicitly allow duplicate posts of hot topic material into Miles & Points Hot Topics if the post in M&PHT includes a link to the discussion in the company's home forum.

3. As discussed in another thread, change the forum naming and subtitles to clarify that all discussion related to a travel company belongs in that company's forum, whether it relates to points and miles or to the travel experience.
Old Jul 31, 13, 7:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan, Canada & Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by nsx View Post
My current preference is as follows:

1. At the top of the list of forums, add New Member Q&A and Travel Advice
FWIW I prefer the term travel advice over anything denoting an "award" forum as it gives it that much more latitude to include topics beyond award queries.

3. As discussed in another thread, change the forum naming and subtitles to clarify that all discussion related to a travel company belongs in that company's forum, whether it relates to points and miles or to the travel experience.
Agree and would like to suggest we take the opportunity to consider reorganizing forum grouping so we can, for example, include Hotel Deals within a larger hotel subheading. Just MHO.
Old Jul 31, 13, 9:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by nsx View Post
Thanks to everyone for the thoughtful discussion. I am on the way home from vacation with some time to study this subject afresh. My current preference is as follows:

1. At the top of the list of forums, add New Member Q&A and Travel Advice, as suggested by beltway as his third option:

2. Move MilesBuzz further down the list. Re-title it (as suggested by crabbing and others) Miles & Points Hot Topics. Make its stated mission to highlight all hot deals, bad news, and other topics which would fit in TalkMail or blogs. To advance this purpose, FT rules should explicitly allow duplicate posts of hot topic material into Miles & Points Hot Topics if the post in M&PHT includes a link to the discussion in the company's home forum.

I think I like this. Maybe the renamed MilesBuzz could be located just above TravelBuzz as the first non"miles and points" forum in the FT list.

However, I could see some remaining confusion regarding where travel news items should go. The boundary might be a matter of interpretation.
Old Jul 31, 13, 9:06 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by tcook052 View Post
FWIW I prefer the term travel advice over anything denoting an "award" forum as it gives it that much more latitude to include topics beyond award queries.

Agree and would like to suggest we take the opportunity to consider reorganizing forum grouping so we can, for example, include Hotel Deals within a larger hotel subheading. Just MHO.
I would suggest that the description of the new forum (and whatever announcements or "read this first" material the mods decide to post) should make clear that questions about a single airline or a single FF program (and similarly for hotel families) might get more and more expert replies if posted in those fora, which everyone, including newbies, would be encouraged to do.

We certainly don't want to give the impression that new members should only go to this forum or can only post here. We'd like to eventually pull people in and get them to explore different areas of FT.

I'm a bit concerned that any "newbie" label could be viewed as condescending and off-putting to new members (and maybe old members too).
Old Jul 31, 13, 10:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan, Canada & Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
I would suggest that the description of the new forum (and whatever announcements or "read this first" material the mods decide to post) should make clear that questions about a single airline or a single FF program (and similarly for hotel families) might get more and more expert replies if posted in those fora, which everyone, including newbies, would be encouraged to do.

We certainly don't want to give the impression that new members should only go to this forum or can only post here. We'd like to eventually pull people in and get them to explore different areas of FT.
Completely agree but would extend that to include topics on different airline choices within an alliance which could be handled within existing alliance forums. This new forum should compliment not compete with current forums, at least IMHO.

I'm a bit concerned that any "newbie" label could be viewed as condescending and off-putting to new members (and maybe old members too).
I had the same thought but decided that if the collective wisdom of TB can't find a solution we could always endlessly debate a name here on TB Topics forum.
Old Jul 31, 13, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR (ex-75K, GLD, 1K, and S+), Choice Diamond, HZ PC, Costco Exec, NPS Passport
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Brief post from my phone--

I have not seen that to be the case with any of the titled "newbie" threads. On the contrary, people new and old post in those threads and often exclaim gratitude for their existence.
Old Jul 31, 13, 7:04 pm

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Programs: HH Diamond, Priority Club Platinum
Originally Posted by jackal View Post
Brief post from my phone--

I have not seen that to be the case with any of the titled "newbie" threads. On the contrary, people new and old post in those threads and often exclaim gratitude for their existence.
I think I've posted in a newbie thread or two, relating to questions I had concerning a program that was "new" to me.
Old Jul 31, 13, 8:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
I think things are going to get even worse soon. FTG was apparently featured on ABC:

http://www.frugaltravelguy.com/2013/...t-viewers.html
Old Aug 21, 13, 8:26 pm

Programs: Work in progress.
Any updates?
Old Aug 22, 13, 11:53 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
My guess is we'll be getting to this and other items in September when everyone's back from summer vacations and biz trips.

Cheers.
_______
Old Aug 22, 13, 1:58 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I did not realize the Talkboard took the summer off.

That is a change from when I served on the Talkboard.....
Old Aug 22, 13, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
This is an American website. How dare anyone think of a vacation?
Old Aug 22, 13, 2:42 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by wharvey View Post

There's no official summer recess/change in policy Just that some TB members have been traveling quite a bit with limited access to internet this summer, so a bit more difficult to discuss things/get motions going if all of TB isn't available.

Rather than leaving someone who asked about updates in a couple of threads hanging, I thought I'd mention when I thought we might all be around/back to TB work/able to really devote attention to the different items being suggested. Of course I do not speak for all of TB and thought I was being helpful. Sorry if it wasn't.

Cheers.
Old Aug 24, 13, 9:47 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
/Mod hat off

Yeah, those were the days. TalkBoard members trudged miles in the wind, snow and sleet to gather and discuss FT topics, and then at the end of the day trudged back - uphill both ways! Even in the summer! You guys and gals were made of sturdier stuff, no doubt.

But members sometimes do sometimes forget TalkBoard members (and moderators, for that matter,) are volunteers - they work (the "psychic paycheck" doesn't buy groceries, shelter, food or travel), they play, and - this is after all FlyerTalk - they travel.

Speaking for myself, I appreciate a well debated, carefully deliberated decision from TB than something thrown together too hastily that may later have to be "fixed". FT is, IMO, a work in progress, and the environment in which we exist is constantly changing and shifting - glad we have some folks willing to step forward and help steer the ship.

That being said I am off to the Amazon for a while - no Internet at all. (Oh, yeah, I will be earning some miles and using some points... it's the FT way!)

Originally Posted by wharvey View Post

Old Aug 24, 13, 10:58 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist Lite; United Club ex-Lifetime Member
FWIW, I just started a straw poll on the TalkBoard covering several subjects. I expect that to take 2 weeks or so, then you might see a vote begin on something.

But yes, the TalkBoard definitely moves slowly. It takes some getting used to, but we've found that moving to a vote without a lot of discussion first is hazardous. All too often people discover a necessary revision AFTER the vote starts, and then we have a mess on our hands. Getting people to think the matter over before the vote starts is not always possible. So we go slowly to maximize the accuracy of the idea and its wording.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: