Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Defining the mission of MilesBuzz; Adding a Flame Free Q&A Forum?

Defining the mission of MilesBuzz; Adding a Flame Free Q&A Forum?

Old Jul 23, 13, 11:59 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock View Post
I've actually been following this thread with interest (can't speak for other TB members, but assuming they have as well). One reason is that I don't really go to MilesBuzz so I don't have the history or then & now, and look to others who are more involved for their input. The other is to see what is being suggested & would work/wouldn't work - and right now there are differences being suggested in this thread. It may be as simple as re-titling it & redoing the forum description, or perhaps not. FWIW - we try to avoid 'giving things & try & rolling it back', as it's easier (if maybe takes longer) to try & get it right/do it one time.

We're also now into summer so we might be running into a bit of TB & FT members on holidays or in my case injury. Having said that, I do think this is something that needs to be addressed because of the input in this thread, so perhaps we can move on it a bit sooner rather than later.

Cheers.
Understood, but there's a point between getting it "right" (which 20 people may not agree on the definition of "right") and waiting for perfection so long that nothing happens. I didn't mean "try something" as in "go out on a whim", with some half-baked idea, but to take a creative risk and evolve a bit. After all, it's not as if the fate of the world hangs on any of this!
Old Jul 24, 13, 7:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by 84fiero View Post
After all, it's not as if the fate of the world hangs on any of this!
True, although you wouldn't know it by some of the comments posted (sorry, couldn't resist).

I do think this will get addressed by TB, but some are unavailable at the moment due to vacation/work/injury (the last being me & my time for being on computer is much shortened due to pain). This isn't going to drag on for months. Might be a couple of weeks though.

Cheers.
Old Jul 24, 13, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat & 1MM, DL Plat, Marriott LT Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Explorist & IHG Ambassador
Concur with NSX's original post, as noted in the thread I recently started in this forum.

I would add that I like that each post seeking help is now preceded by "Advice" - but IMO the best solution would be to move them to a new forum or subforum.
Old Jul 26, 13, 8:16 am

Programs: AA Plat, Delta Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Indeed. The forum is a disaster. There are 2, perhaps 3 threads on entire page that have anything to do with earning miles. Make a general help forum if need be, but please get this crap out of MilesBuzz!
+1 I have found the MilesBuzz has become a waste of time due to all of the advice posts (seems like almost half the front page to me).

I think a new forum, at the top of the list would be the best solution. Something like "Award Booking and General Help Forum". The description could be "Are you new to FT, have a general question, or unsure of where to post? Start your thread here!"
Old Jul 26, 13, 9:39 am

Programs: UA, HH, SPG
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock View Post
True, although you wouldn't know it by some of the comments posted (sorry, couldn't resist).

I do think this will get addressed by TB, but some are unavailable at the moment due to vacation/work/injury (the last being me & my time for being on computer is much shortened due to pain). This isn't going to drag on for months. Might be a couple of weeks though.

Cheers.
Thank you. Hope you feel better soon. It really seems like there is such a simple solution - create an "advice" forum or subforum, move the advice threads from Miles Buzz to that new forum, and allow Miles Buzz to return to what it was.
Old Jul 26, 13, 10:02 am

I dislike the "flame free" suggestions. We're all adults, aren't we and if there's something readers don't like, I can handle criticism. I mean, should airline ticket counters, fast food counters, restaurants, start posting signs "Flame-free" area? As far as banning unneccesary personal attacks---is this really a significant problem on MilesBuzz? As with many others, I appreciate a forum section where it's primarily searching for bonus offers, too-good-to-miss deals.
Old Jul 27, 13, 6:49 am

Welcome to MilesBuzz!

Thanks for coming by the MilesBuzz! forum. We donít have too many rules here, but we would like to stress that the MilesBuzz forum is for the posting of information related to the latest frequent flyer and hotel program buzz.

Whatís that? Well, if you think there is a miles or points offer that the entire FlyerTalk community should know about, then this is the place to post it!

Credit card questions and news of promotions belong on the Credit Card Programs forum.

Have a lot of miles and points in a bunch of programs and donít know what to do with them all? Ask away!

Just getting started? Want to know what can work for you, donít be shy ask here.

If you have a question about a specific airline or program, you should post in that airline or programs own forum.

Have a general travel related question that doesnít have to do with miles or points? The TravelBuzz! forum is perfect for this.

Also, FlyerTalk now has an Idine Forum. Please post your Idine questions there.

Thanks and regards,

MilezBuzz Moderators
i can't believe we keep having the same "get off my lawn" conversation over and over again. MB is the right place for new members to come, or for existing members to ask questions relating to miles and awards generally, or specific questions that don't fit or aren't limited to a particular forum.

i do wonder, though, about the name "milesbuzz." it's not a descriptive name. i'd think that "award talk" or "miles talk" would make more sense, but maybe that's just me.

i'm a little confused that recently, all of the question topics in MB start with "advice." it's pretty obvious from the thread title that the poster is seeking advice, so adding this word to the title is redundant. it also makes the forum hard to read.

i have looked at a few of these "advice" topics and they appear to be working perfectly - people are answering the questions, and generally engaging in meaningful discussion.

if there isn't a place for people, new and existing, to ask general questions, then FT isn't a community. so what if the question has been asked thousands of times already? like i have said before, it is far easier just to ignore a repetitive, ill-informed, or lazy question than it is to kvetch about it and struggle to make FT a gated community where only an elite group of members is allowed to post approved questions.
Old Jul 27, 13, 5:55 pm

Programs: DL FO, AA LT PLT, SPG Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, HHonors Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Other Crap...
MilesBuzz! is dead to me... stopped visiting it once all the credit card and manufactured spend stuff was moved out. This was what it was all about, and now it's all about people looking for lazy help with award booking and the odd utterly pathetic "Get 100 Miles for filling out a survey that will take you more time than you would need to buy $5k worth of gift cards at kroger" posts.

MB! might as well be renamed something more appropriate or shutdown.

I do find it odd because it used to be a real hub of activity, and now that has been de-centralized FT as a whole lacks a central hub. So IMHO FT has shot itself in the foot vs the blogs that are more and more providing an easy, centralized forum for newbies.
Old Jul 27, 13, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
How about a general Newbies forum ala http://milepoint.com/forums/ ? And then put it at the top of the list so people see it first when they sign in.
Old Jul 28, 13, 5:23 am

Programs: DL FO, AA LT PLT, SPG Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, HHonors Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Other Crap...
Originally Posted by philemer View Post
How about a general Newbies forum ala http://milepoint.com/forums/ ? And then put it at the top of the list so people see it first when they sign in.
Curious as to did people think MB! was broken?

Someone here, can't recall who, has a very funny sig line of "If it ain't broke, I'll fixt it". That's exactly what happened to MB! sounds like
Old Jul 28, 13, 8:55 am

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Originally Posted by crabbing View Post
i can't believe we keep having the same "get off my lawn" conversation over and over again. MB is the right place for new members to come, or for existing members to ask questions relating to miles and awards generally, or specific questions that don't fit or aren't limited to a particular forum.

i do wonder, though, about the name "milesbuzz." it's not a descriptive name. i'd think that "award talk" or "miles talk" would make more sense, but maybe that's just me.

i'm a little confused that recently, all of the question topics in MB start with "advice." it's pretty obvious from the thread title that the poster is seeking advice, so adding this word to the title is redundant. it also makes the forum hard to read.

i have looked at a few of these "advice" topics and they appear to be working perfectly - people are answering the questions, and generally engaging in meaningful discussion.

if there isn't a place for people, new and existing, to ask general questions, then FT isn't a community. so what if the question has been asked thousands of times already? like i have said before, it is far easier just to ignore a repetitive, ill-informed, or lazy question than it is to kvetch about it and struggle to make FT a gated community where only an elite group of members is allowed to post approved questions.
+1
I think it should have it's own forum. Nothing wrong with people asking questions, sooner or later everyone has one. Just need to seperate it from news. They're many people here who have the answers and are willing to help!
FT has some very smart people and I've follow a few posters no matter what forum because they are smart and worth listening to even if it's not currently relevent to me.
Should have a milebuzz and a help (advise) format or what ever you want to call it.
Old Jul 28, 13, 3:21 pm

Programs: 1MM UA
Originally Posted by nsx View Post

I see the primary missions of MilesBuzz as:

1. Highlighting Hot Deals: high-value limited-time offers of all kinds, even if only by pointing to discussion elsewhere on FT,
2. Discussion of industry trends in FF programs, e.g. pros and cons of revenue-based accrual and/or redemption, comparisons between FF programs, and even major gripes and kudos directed at specific programs
3. News of important adverse changes to any program. This is the flip side of hot deals. MilesBuzz would carry a summary, discuss the issue briefly, then direct further discussion to the correct company-specific forum.
I respectfully disagree. I think Milesbuzz should be more open. Here is my opinion. Milesebuzz should be a little bit of everything. It should be the first place that newbies go, (it was for me 13 years ago) and a quick stop for the long timers with the most important news together with discussion and rehashes of the familiar frequent flyer topics. It can have the most important miles program news, discussions of trends, the endless question of whether miles would be worth more or less in the future, remarkable offers, advice for newbies, cogent debates about aspects of miles/points programs that transcend individual programs. At the same time, the forum should have a relatively small number of posts. [b] How to accomplish that? [\b] merging.

Most of this thread has been about whether or not there should be an advice forum. I think that if there was one, FTers who could give advice would not frequent the forum enough to make it worthwhile. I think a better solution is to allow monthly advice threads, with active merging from the moderators. Theyíre good at that.

The milesbuzz problem, to the extent that there is one, isnít too many advice threads, it is too few threads about other things. For two years it was credit card central. (I thought that was worse.) Now it is advice. With some effort, it could be evened out.
Originally Posted by nsx View Post
As to questions from newbies and others who want specific advice for their needs, IMHO that badly needs to be separated from the high-value miles and points news.
What is high-value is different from person to person. All of us were newbies once.
Old Jul 28, 13, 3:58 pm

There has been a lot of talk about the MB forum for months. I think we need to finally put the issue to bed. Let's make a decison as to what it should and should not be going forward. Are sub forums created or not? There has been a lot of talk so now let's have some action or confirm it is not going to change.
Old Jul 28, 13, 9:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan, Canada & Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by mileshound View Post
There has been a lot of talk about the MB forum for months. I think we need to finally put the issue to bed. Let's make a decison as to what it should and should not be going forward. Are sub forums created or not? There has been a lot of talk so now let's have some action or confirm it is not going to change.
Patience, patience.

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
This isn't going to drag on for months. Might be a couple of weeks though.
Old Jul 29, 13, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR (ex-75K, GLD, 1K, and S+), Choice Diamond, HZ PC, Costco Exec, NPS Passport
Originally Posted by tcook052 View Post
Patience, patience.
^^

Posted from just outside the entrance to Denali National Park, where tomorrow I will lead a group of six FlyerTalkers deep into the park (85 miles on a shuttle bus driven by esteemed FlyerTalker Seat 2A).

There is no Internet access inside the park--or, for that matter, even cell phone signal.

It'll be a bit longer before I can return to the demands of the TalkBoard.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: