Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

What good is MilesBuzz! if .... [Legacy card threads moved to Credit Card Programs]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What good is MilesBuzz! if .... [Legacy card threads moved to Credit Card Programs]

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2013, 9:00 am

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Frugal Travel Guy
MB used to be full of FFN, grand slam, AAdvantage partner promos and more.

face it, the game is now credit cards and manufactured spending. that is all that is left for earning miles. even BankDirect dried up on us
True, but what's your point?

If you really think that CC is all that's left, then the MB forum is going to turn into a ghost town once those threads are removed!

Last one out of MilesBuzz, turn out the lights. LOL.

Last edited by hobo13; May 20, 2013 at 9:39 am
Old May 20, 2013, 9:34 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by stupidzbu
What was wrong with the old system that a new system needs to be created?
1. The same credit card offers are often discussed in parallel threads in three areas:

• The forum of the sponsoring airline or hotel program.
  • A forum in the Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs group.
  • MilesBuzz!

This change transfers extended discussion from MilesBuzz! to Credit Card Programs after the thread has lost its buzz. Fresh exceptional card offers will continue to be discussed in MilesBuzz!, but the threads will no longer linger there after the offer is expired or the character of the discussion changes. If you subscribe to the thread it will be easy to follow when it moves. If you read other threads in Credit Card Programs you will learn much more about the card issuers policies and practices, which are not specific to particular cards.

2. Credit card offers discussed in MilesBuzz! are of interest only to American residents. Residents of other countries come to FlyerTalk looking for information about travel, but instead found one of the gateway forums dominated by discussions of credit cards. Cards which they cannot obtain. Moving these threads to another forum will restore the topic balance in MilesBuzz!, and make MilesBuzz! equally valuable to members worldwide.

3. FlyerTalk's Wiki feature is a powerful new tool which will make the content of long threads much more accessible to occasional readers, and it should make it straightforward for a summary of information to appear in MilesBuzz! even though the discussion takes place elsewhere. We delayed moving the card threads until this feature was live.

Credit card threads have been gradually migrating out of MilesBuzz! for several months, some to the sponsoring airline or hotel forum, some to Credit Cards Programs, American Express Membership Rewards or Chase Ultimate Rewards. The perception that Credit Card Programs primarily discusses cashback cards is factually incorrect. The Credit Card Programs forum hosted the original discussions of churning Citi AAdvantage cards, long before there was any mention of this topic in MilesBuzz!.

All FlyerTalk moderators are volunteers. We have full time jobs, families and the usual personal and professional responsibilities. We are not paid by Internet Brands. We are here to make judgements. When we make a change it is because we believe it will make FlyerTalk better, for all members, but we recognize there will be transitional inconvenience for some members. We make decisions carefully, in consultation with each other and the Community Director. Ideas are robustly debated and refined. We test changes on a small scale before broad implementation. We value feedback, but only if it is respectful and includes sufficient reasoning to improve our understanding.
Old May 20, 2013, 10:43 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by nsx:20778312

As to the issue of jurisdiction, give me a break. How about we discuss what the best structure for members is, and THEN consider who on FT can make that happen. The whole "that's not my department" thing is so 20th century.
Yet FT seems to be stuck there.
Old May 20, 2013, 7:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA PLAT, TK GLD, Hilton Diamond, IC PLAT, SPG GLD, Marriott GLD
Originally Posted by tcook052
Nobody said anything about UR points? In your first post of this thread you said

so I was merely pointing out that after much member consultation the TB decided to create a dedicated UR forum and that is why those topics are now placed in that forum.
sure, but the UR & MR threads I agree with ... they are their own beasts

I guess having a wiki sticky could solve issues of having the same thread in multiple locations

I'm amazed it isn't possible to have the same thread in multiple forums..
Old May 20, 2013, 8:12 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I guess having a wiki sticky could solve issues of having the same thread in multiple locations.
Here's my new attempt in the Southwest forum:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20784406-post1.html

We'll see where it goes.
Old May 20, 2013, 9:17 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I'm amazed it isn't possible to have the same thread in multiple forums..
It's in the rules. The Talk Board does have the ability to change the rules.

Post Your Thread to Just One Forum - link to this guideline
Don't post the same thread more than once. Our members read many forums, and weeding through the same message in multiple forums can be frustrating. Duplicate threads will be deleted, combined or locked.
Old May 20, 2013, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by tom911
It's in the rules. The Talk Board does have the ability to change the rules.
Well, we have the ability to pass a resolution that requests the Community Director to consider making a change to the rules. To date, TalkBoard has not pursued passing a motion that challenges something that's at the core of the status quo like that.

I believe nsx was referring, though, to the technical ability to have a thread show up in multiple forums (where clicking through to the thread actually takes you to the same thread), something he's long advocated for. It is not possible in this version of vBulletin and likely won't be something IB would devote the resources to implementing, although perhaps if the TalkBoard pushes for a resolution requesting it, the vBulletin team may hear our cry...
Old May 20, 2013, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by jackal
I believe nsx was referring, though, to the technical ability to have a thread show up in multiple forums (where clicking through to the thread actually takes you to the same thread), something he's long advocated for.
I understand what you're saying (a thread across multiple forums allowing global comments that would populate all of the threads?). I think it's a great idea though can't recall any recent public discussion on the topic. Has Internet Brand indicated any interest in making this happen?

We had this ability (global comments) in the Comm Center I retired from. If you took a call on a shooting, it would generate simultaneous incidents for both police and fire and from that point forward any comments entered would populate both calls.
Old May 21, 2013, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA PLAT, TK GLD, Hilton Diamond, IC PLAT, SPG GLD, Marriott GLD
Well, we have the ability to pass a resolution that requests the Community Director to consider making a change to the rules. To date, TalkBoard has not pursued passing a motion that challenges something that's at the core of the status quo like that.

I believe nsx was referring, though, to the technical ability to have a thread show up in multiple forums (where clicking through to the thread actually takes you to the same thread), something he's long advocated for. It is not possible in this version of vBulletin and likely won't be something IB would devote the resources to implementing, although perhaps if the TalkBoard pushes for a resolution requesting it, the vBulletin team may hear our cry...

That is actually what I meant also ... where instead of 3 threads on the same topic, you have one thread listed 3 times as a link to the solitary thread

If that where to happen, would MB then eventually remove that link at their discretion?
Old May 21, 2013, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
I understand what you're saying (a thread across multiple forums allowing global comments that would populate all of the threads?). I think it's a great idea though can't recall any recent public discussion on the topic. Has Internet Brand indicated any interest in making this happen?
In case you missed my reply in post#56, the existing threads about multi-tagged thread (one thread in mutiple fora) are followed:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sugge...rk-though.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sugge...le-forums.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sugge...le-forums.html

As you can see, this idea (or request for new feature) isn't new. Certain folks see the need and had been proposing it since 2008. It's been 6 full years.

Just like our newly enabled wikipost feature, wikipost had been "requested" by certain FTers since May 8th, 2008, the exact same year the idea of multi-tagged threads was touched on.

As it turned out, it took almost 6 years for FT/admin/IB/whoever-in-charge to make wikiposts happen on FT when other IBBs like FW & SD have been having it since 2007 or something. In terms of adapting to "modern" technology, FT is really years behind. Let's see how many more years IB will catch on and better FT with this multi-tagged capacity for threads. But as we all know, we simply have no idea about IB's priority w/r/t FT improvement, when there's year-long unsolved problem.

Last edited by lin821; May 21, 2013 at 1:05 pm Reason: fixing a grammatical error
Old May 21, 2013, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by lin821
As you can see, this idea (or request for new feature) isn't new. Certain folks see the need and had been proposing it since 2008. It's been 6 full years.
Sounds like the best strategy, then, is not to expect this to happen and come up with alternative solutions, such as allowing the same post to be manually posted in multiple threads. Looks like the last thread on this topic was back in 2010. Some of out current Talk Board members were not in office back then, so they might want to take a look at those threads.
Old May 21, 2013, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Sounds like the best strategy, then, is not to expect this to happen
Exactly.

lin821 also forgot to mention the years-long broken daily forum summary email problem.

For being one of the flagship brands of a company with $100 million in revenue and over $10 million in profit, it sure seems like we should be seeing a much, much better user experience than we are now...
Old May 21, 2013, 4:40 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Exactly.

lin821 also forgot to mention the years-long broken daily forum summary email problem.

For being one of the flagship brands of a company with $100 million in revenue and over $10 million in profit, it sure seems like we should be seeing a much, much better user experience than we are now...
I guess as long as FT is profitable as-is, no need for them to invest time and resources into improving it. If MilePoint could manage to get the content and info level that FT has, I can't imagine bothering with FT anymore.
Old May 22, 2013, 4:11 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
I only showed you what's on the top of FT laundry pile right now. Is it time to recite FT's laundry list (of never-gone-away technical problems)?

You think?
Old May 22, 2013, 8:32 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Posters in the Southwest forum say the same about Southwest's website. And they're right. It's a rare company that's willing to spend the money necessary to build a great website software.

Still, I would expect a company whose business includes reselling that software to be at the top in website functionality.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.