Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

What good is MilesBuzz! if .... [Legacy card threads moved to Credit Card Programs]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What good is MilesBuzz! if .... [Legacy card threads moved to Credit Card Programs]

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2013, 8:24 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by jackal
Be careful when using hyperbole. It can weaken your point if not used effectively.
If I've told you once I've told you 1000 times: Don't exaggerate!

As to the issue of jurisdiction, give me a break. How about we discuss what the best structure for members is, and THEN consider who on FT can make that happen. The whole "that's not my department" thing is so 20th century.
Old May 19, 2013, 8:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA PLAT, TK GLD, Hilton Diamond, IC PLAT, SPG GLD, Marriott GLD
Originally Posted by tom911
Now that we're in the Talk Board forum, the Talk Board does not have any authority over any of these issues you have raised.

did you actually read that before writing it?

I started this thread in MB to address issues in MB and since this thread got moved, all of the issues raised by me & others in this thread are null and void?

very north korea indeed

EDIT: and to add...

what exactly is the point of moving this to the talk board if it voids the original grievance?

Let me also state that I have no idea what the talk board is for, but in your own words, all my complaints are irrelevant now that we are here
Old May 19, 2013, 8:40 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by stupidzbu
I started this thread in MB to address issues in MB and since this thread got moved, all of the issues raised by me & others in this thread are null and void?
I think they're very valid issues, but the Talk Board has no say in moderation, and your thread is now in their forum. I think you'd be better off communicating via PM with the moderators in Miles Buzz or the Community Director, all of whom have authority on the topics you have raised before and after the thread move here.

Let me also state that I have no idea what the talk board is for
That's probably the same for the majority of FT. It's a very obscure forum.
Old May 19, 2013, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Let me also state that I have no idea what the talk board is for, but in your own words, all my complaints are irrelevant now that we are here
This may prove helpful: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...onsidered.html

As tom911 indicated, your complaint is really with the moderators of the MilesBuzz forum. If they do not approve of a public discussion in the forum itself about how to best handle moderation, then you really need to approach the moderators directly and, if that does not resolve things to your satisfaction, the Community Director.

As far as I'm concerned, you're welcome to continue to post (and others to continue discussing) your grievances here. Unfortunately, I'm not the moderator of the TalkBoard Topics forum, and previous experience suggests that discussion along those lines tends to get deleted by this forum's moderator, as it is considered "off topic" for the TalkBoard Topics forum (since the TalkBoard has no say over moderation).

Nothing "North Korea" about any of this; you just have a little bureaucracy to deal with, that's all--and I and a few others are trying to help you navigate that bureaucracy.
Old May 19, 2013, 8:51 pm
Original Poster

I think they're very valid issues, but the Talk Board has no say in moderation, and your thread is now in their forum. I think you'd be better off communicating via PM with the moderators in Miles Buzz or the Community Director, all of whom have authority on the topics you have raised before and after the thread move here.
If I wanted to have a private conversation, I would have gone that route from the beginning. What I wanted was a public conversation to show the general sentiment of the action taken and bring in many voices.

But they solved that issue by just removing the thread... so oh well

That's probably the same for the majority of FT. It's a very obscure forum.
so ... care to share what this is for?
Old May 19, 2013, 10:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
The TB vote on the creation of a Chase UR forum was posted for weeks as an announcement in all forums so why should it be a surprise that those topics are being moved from MB to a new UR forum?
Old May 19, 2013, 10:46 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Maybe we could try to discuss whether there's anything TalkBoard can do to attempt to remedy the perceived situation. In particular, do people who are concerned have any positive suggestions for how we should consider restructuring or redefining fora to make it easier to find the information you want?

Should we perhaps explore the creation of a "hot topics" forum where new promos could be posted, with the understanding that as they age, these threads would later be moved (with a big expenditure of time and effort by some mods, so this might not be practical) to their appropriate long term home forum?

Should more fora have sub forums along the lines that MR does? One subforum would exist for posting announcements only and strictly require informative thread titles while the other forum would have discussion threads.

Would it help to create an expanded ares for newbies? I don't think this is the issue here, since the MilesBuzz fans can be new or old users of FT, but if part of the problem is learning to use MyFT well, then it is partly about informing/teaching users.

As was suggested earlier, a number of TalkBoard members are here and listening, but we need some suggestions we can pursue.
Old May 19, 2013, 10:49 pm

I thought having all the ongoing cc offers in one place makes it easier to access info. Now I have to search 3 or 4 or more places and ... since searching doesn't work very well, I'm never sure if I'm missing something. Really seems hazy why one cc offer would be considered buzz worthy and another not.

I agree with the thinking that even an old offer is buzz-worthy if people are still applying/churning and talking about it.

If milesbuzz does not go back to how it was before, it would be nice to have an index or sticky with links to say where to find a particular discussion on a cc offer, since it is obscure - doesn't seem very intuitive or logical how it is being done now.
Old May 19, 2013, 10:58 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by walterj
I thought having all the ongoing cc offers in one place makes it easier to access info. Now I have to search 3 or 4 or more places and ... since searching doesn't work very well, I'm never sure if I'm missing something. Really seems hazy why one cc offer would be considered buzz worthy and another not.

I agree with the thinking that even an old offer is buzz-worthy if people are still applying/churning and talking about it.

If milesbuzz does not go back to how it was before, it would be nice to have an index or sticky with links to say where to find a particular discussion on a cc offer, since it is obscure - doesn't seem very intuitive or logical how it is being done now.
Would it help to have a forum on comparing the advantages/disadvantages of new credit card applications, focusing on sign up and first spend bonuses (boni?)? Then the standing credit card fora would be devoted to discussions of holding the credit card and using it well. It's not clear where application procedures and information on credit pulls would belong. Maybe in the appropriate fora for individual credit cards, with the rationale that someone would go there when they've tentatively decided to apply for a particular card.

I'm tired so maybe this is a steam of consciousness rambling.....I'm just trying to think aloud a bit here, so please help me. CreditCardBuzz?
Old May 20, 2013, 5:45 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
This thread perfectly illustrates why the rule against discussing specific moderator actions is in place. It sidetracks the original discussion and wastes time of readers who want useful information. Me, for one.

To get us back on track, I want some feedback on how to improve the concept from post 38:

Originally Posted by nsx
I hope Internet Brands can some day figure out how to display the same thread in 2 forums. Until then, how about the following:

Mods could add one sticky in MilesBuzz for all the top deals, whether they are credit cards or anything else. The top deals will reside in a Wiki at the top of the thread. Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the Wiki and update it.

Presto: MilesBuzz is again one stop shopping, more convenient than ever!
Old May 20, 2013, 5:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Would it help to have a forum on comparing the advantages/disadvantages of new credit card applications, focusing on sign up and first spend bonuses (boni?)? Then the standing credit card fora would be devoted to discussions of holding the credit card and using it well. It's not clear where application procedures and information on credit pulls would belong. Maybe in the appropriate fora for individual credit cards, with the rationale that someone would go there when they've tentatively decided to apply for a particular card.

I'm tired so maybe this is a steam of consciousness rambling.....I'm just trying to think aloud a bit here, so please help me. CreditCardBuzz?
Like I stated elsewhere, the CC forum is mainly for cash back / manufactured spend / 'i just had my account closed and everything taken away' / hard pulls & fico threads

It is not geared towards travel (airline or hotel)

Yes, there are members who frequent both, but not all.

As far as the 'hot topics' forum that was suggested .. Isn't that inherently what milesBUZZ is supposed to be? A 'hot topic' forum for things dealing with airline & hotel point accumulation?

Was anyone complaining with the structure before?

What led to the decision to remove all CC threads from MB?

To the person who stated there was a TB forum for UR threads, no one said a peep about UR points. We are talking about AA, UA, US, LH, HH, SPG etc cards

so, once again, MB was a 'hot topic' area. As long as a deal is alive & people are churning and active in the thread, there is still buzz about.

Notice how the 75k AA thread is dead because the deal is dead and hence no buzz?
Old May 20, 2013, 5:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nsx
This thread perfectly illustrates why the rule against discussing specific moderator actions is in place. It sidetracks the original discussion and wastes time of readers who want useful information. Me, for one.

To get us back on track, I want some feedback on how to improve the concept from post 38:
What was wrong with the old system that a new system needs to be created?

Also, if we are going to deny what the masses desire in that forum, why aren't the non-relevant threads moved?

They are as follows as currently listed in the first 2 pages

1) Help with creating itineraries <-- no buzz found

2) Help choosing an airline/alliance <-- no buzz found

3) Buying BRAND_NAME and getting points <-- very low buzz

But, since we have no idea what led to the decision, we can't argue against
it.

So, again, what led to the decision?
Old May 20, 2013, 7:07 am
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
It really doesn't matter whether the discussion is in MilesBuzz, TalkBoard, or American Airlines. Moderator specific or theoretical action is not a subject that will get airtime. If you have comments that fall under this ban, the Community Director would be your only outlet, and that would be via private message.

More info at: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...ions-here.html

Might also be valuable to review this thread, which outlines the role of the TalkBoard in Flyertalk's management structure: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...onsidered.html

Thanks for your consideration.
Old May 20, 2013, 7:45 am

Programs: A few
It wasn't broken, but it has been "fixed"

And expressing my views on it appear to be against the TOS of FT, so I will just have to move on
Old May 20, 2013, 9:00 am

Programs: HH Silver
To the person who stated there was a TB forum for UR threads, no one said a peep about UR points. We are talking about AA, UA, US, LH, HH, SPG etc cards
Nobody said anything about UR points? In your first post of this thread you said

All discussion of UR goes to the Chase forum
so I was merely pointing out that after much member consultation the TB decided to create a dedicated UR forum and that is why those topics are now placed in that forum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.