Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

MOTION PASSED: Create a 'Points & Miles Blogs' Forum

MOTION PASSED: Create a 'Points & Miles Blogs' Forum

 
Old Feb 18, 14, 8:24 am
  #301  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Look up - On a ✈ DELTA ✈ jet NOW!
Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Posts: 4,178
Dump it?

Originally Posted by lin821 View Post
So it seems some "newer" folks learn about FT via reading blogs, not from reading our EMPR Forum. The bottom line is non-FT people don't come to EMPR Forum to read or learn about blogs. Sharon's question perhaps can be better rephrased as how FT can expand its member base and take advantage those bloggers who help promote FT. How to connect or collaborate with bloggers is something for IB or FT admin to consider but not a task for EMPR Forum to embark.

Not to ignore the fact that certain bloggers does help FT reach out, but I personally don't think a retitled and/or relocated EMPR would make a difference in what EMPR has become. If I were a blogger, I wouldn't count on EMPR on FT to be my platform or venue for visibility. YMMV.
This! I reference FT on either the blog or twitter almost daily. I link back to FT threads. I credit FTers as well. I like MP but bottom line, for now, FT is better. I want my growing readership to know about the value of most of FT!

However - the "blog & blogger bashing board" (what it really is and should be called) is just about worthless and the wild west. You can say anything nasty about anyone and it will not be removed by MODs. Just a big bash the blogs board. IMO, dump it all and let's get back to miles, points and helping FTers!
Renes Points is offline  
Old Feb 18, 14, 8:50 am
  #302  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: RDU
Programs: DL FO, AA LT PLT, SPG Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, HHonors Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Other Crap...
Posts: 5,489
Originally Posted by Delta Points View Post
This! I reference FT on either the blog or twitter almost daily. I link back to FT threads. I credit FTers as well. I like MP but bottom line, for now, FT is better. I want my growing readership to know about the value of most of FT!

However - the "blog & blogger bashing board" (what it really is and should be called) is just about worthless and the wild west. You can say anything nasty about anyone and it will not be removed by MODs. Just a big bash the blogs board. IMO, dump it all and let's get back to miles, points and helping FTers!
You mean helping them by directing them to credit cards you get paid for? Or really helping them?
ma91pmh is offline  
Old Feb 18, 14, 9:00 am
  #303  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 92,153
Originally Posted by Delta Points View Post
This! I reference FT on either the blog or twitter almost daily. I link back to FT threads. I credit FTers as well. I like MP but bottom line, for now, FT is better. I want my growing readership to know about the value of most of FT!

However - the "blog & blogger bashing board" (what it really is and should be called) is just about worthless and the wild west. You can say anything nasty about anyone and it will not be removed by MODs. Just a big bash the blogs board. IMO, dump it all and let's get back to miles, points and helping FTers!
I disagree, but as you know, we can't discuss moderation. Issues involving violations of FT rules should be directed to the Community Director's attention.

IMO discussion of blog content and policies is appropriate, as is the comparison on various blogs; discussion of bloggers is prohibited by the rules. Moreover, the purpose of FT is to serve its members (and make profits for its owners), not to serve bloggers. FT already permits bloggers to have links to their blogs and associated businesses in signature lines, even when such blogs compete directly with blogs owned or marketed by FT and its owner or the blogs being advertised in this way are associated with competing travel websites.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Feb 19, 14, 11:39 am
  #304  
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth
Programs: UA 1K/MM refugee to cheapest business class fare, SPG Lifetime Plat, CBP Global Entry, #datelife
Posts: 52,305
Originally Posted by lin821
EMPR is de facto actively being used to provide "feedback" on what to blog and/or the (bad) practice/motives of bloggers that has nothing to do with "how to earn miles and points" for the general public.

If the percentage of points-miles talking blogs were really as high as koko stated, "95%" ("of what points and miles blogs talk about are...how to earn points and miles"), why aren't there as many discussion threads in EMPR Forum about merits or good value in those blogs?
You can also ask why such a high percentage of threads in the MileagePlus forum are about bashing the airline or the latest devaluation. @:-)

I read a lot of blogs including the comments sections. Those tend to be overwhelmingly positive and the readers are forever extolling the virtue of the blog. Perhaps more of those types of readers/posters would be posting in EMPR if it was in the miles and points section. Maybe not. But maybe. Of course it could also be that folks tend to post positive things in the comments section but reserve negative feedback for EMPR because they fear being censored in the comments section.


Originally Posted by Delta Points View Post
This! I reference FT on either the blog or twitter almost daily. I link back to FT threads. I credit FTers as well. I like MP but bottom line, for now, FT is better. I want my growing readership to know about the value of most of FT!

However - the "blog & blogger bashing board" (what it really is and should be called) is just about worthless and the wild west. You can say anything nasty about anyone and it will not be removed by MODs. Just a big bash the blogs board. IMO, dump it all and let's get back to miles, points and helping FTers!
I'm sure there are some hotels who feel that TripAdvisor is really just a hotel and hotelier bashing board.
kokonutz is online now  
Old Feb 19, 14, 1:19 pm
  #305  
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines
Hyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: California
Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist Lite; United Club ex-Lifetime Member
Posts: 20,120
Originally Posted by kokonutz View Post
I read a lot of blogs including the comments sections. Those tend to be overwhelmingly positive and the readers are forever extolling the virtue of the blog.
That's because the regular readers of any blog (or of FlyerTalk for that matter) are the ones who like the content. People who don't like the content leave.
nsx is offline  
Old Feb 20, 14, 4:04 pm
  #306  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 92,153
Originally Posted by nsx View Post
That's because the regular readers of any blog (or of FlyerTalk for that matter) are the ones who like the content. People who don't like the content leave.
Some bloggers are known to delete critical comments, including factual corrections to blog content.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Feb 22, 14, 8:47 am
  #307  
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Posts: 2,885
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Some bloggers are known to delete critical comments, including factual corrections to blog content.
Shocked, just shocked about this!
gpapadop is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: