Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Motion Passed: Create a Chase Ultimate Rewards Forum

Motion Passed: Create a Chase Ultimate Rewards Forum

 
Old Mar 14, 13, 4:34 am
  #16  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: HaMerkaz/Exit 145
Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Posts: 13,044
I think it makes sense. There's a ton of Chase-related info out there, be it through Ultimate Rewards, Sapphire, Sapphire Preferred, etc. Chase is a very travel-oriented bank it would seem, not to mention their UA, BA, WN, Marriott, Hyatt, etc. cards.
joshwex90 is offline  
Old Mar 14, 13, 5:45 am
  #17  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: London
Posts: 589
I vote Yes, given the sheer number of travel related products Chase has in the market.
678flyer is offline  
Old Mar 14, 13, 7:39 am
  #18  
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth
Programs: UA 1K/MM refugee to cheapest business class fare, SPG Lifetime Plat, CBP Global Entry, #datelife
Posts: 49,095
For those asking for yes or no votes, would you mind expanding on your reasoning a bit?

As a TB member, I am on the fence.

Pros:
  • The Chase programs and cards are huge, popular and complicated
  • Earning and spending strategies are myriad
  • No one wants to be the idiot who wastes hard-earned points

Cons:
  • The program is popular today but could be a ghost town by next month
  • Some 'clever' tips and tricks talked about may cause the program to close the 'clever' approaches (of course, that talk still takes place in existing threads anyway)

Are there pros and cons I am not thinking of?
kokonutz is online now  
Old Mar 14, 13, 8:42 am
  #19  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 84,917
Originally Posted by kokonutz View Post
For those asking for yes or no votes, would you mind expanding on your reasoning a bit?

As a TB member, I am on the fence.

Pros:
  • The Chase programs and cards are huge, popular and complicated
  • Earning and spending strategies are myriad
  • No one wants to be the idiot who wastes hard-earned points

Cons:
  • The program is popular today but could be a ghost town by next month
  • Some 'clever' tips and tricks talked about may cause the program to close the 'clever' approaches (of course, that talk still takes place in existing threads anyway)

Are there pros and cons I am not thinking of?
I've read the arguments for yes in the other thread, but I'd like to know why some people have stated here that they are neutral or against the motion.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Mar 14, 13, 9:17 am
  #20  
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: NJ
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Posts: 44,671
I'm against it because I believe it is a passing fad.

There was a time the Diner's forum was quite active, and then they changed the program to exclude some pretty big redemption partners, such as CO. People transferred their points and gave up the card. The forum died.

I suspect this may happen to a Chase forum as well.
Mary2e is offline  
Old Mar 14, 13, 10:20 am
  #21  
Used to be garyjr316
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: LAX or SBA
Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, Gold Passport, Hilton HHonors, Marriott
Posts: 794
I think that it would be a good idea. Considering the number of rewards cards that Chase has it makes sense. Just like there is a separate section for American Express, Chase should have it's own.
Dad to GO is offline  
Old Mar 14, 13, 11:49 am
  #22  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Long Beach
Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Posts: 1,171
i would want a chase forum but i would also say the credit card forums should be moved to be listed under miles buzz and before hotels deals, this will stop may people with credti card questions from posting in the miles buzz section, too many peopl dont scroll down to find the credit card forum
particlemn is offline  
Old Mar 14, 13, 12:44 pm
  #23  
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: California
Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, United Club ex-Lifetime Member
Posts: 19,631
Originally Posted by particlemn View Post
i would want a chase forum but i would also say the credit card forums should be moved to be listed under miles buzz and before hotels deals, this will stop may people with credti card questions from posting in the miles buzz section, too many peopl dont scroll down to find the credit card forum
That is one situation in which it would be nice to have more than one path to a given forum (or even to a given thread). I don't believe the software currently has such a capability, though.
nsx is offline  
Old Mar 14, 13, 12:48 pm
  #24  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: IAH
Posts: 362
I think any program has a risk of "dying". How long does it have to be around before the risk is considered minimal? 5 years? 10 years? Chase UR has been around a few years already and seems to be growing, not diminishing. No, you're never going to have zero risk of it becoming a ghost town, but Chase seems committed.

For the Diner's Club example, even though it's not as active as some of the other forums anymore, does that mean it was never helpful at some point?
AggieTraveler is offline  
Old Mar 14, 13, 1:15 pm
  #25  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: MIA and VRN
Programs: SEN LH Hyatt Globalist AA EXP
Posts: 493
In consideration of the many Chase cards with mileage benefits, I think it is a good idea.
afmiami is offline  
Old Mar 14, 13, 1:30 pm
  #26  
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami & London
Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Posts: 38,913
Originally Posted by ok2uselane View Post
Yes, it would be nice to have all the Chase credit card info in one place.
Originally Posted by joshwex90 View Post
I. Chase is a very travel-oriented bank it would seem, not to mention their UA, BA, WN, Marriott, Hyatt, etc. cards.
Originally Posted by 678flyer View Post
I vote Yes, given the sheer number of travel related products Chase has in the market.
Originally Posted by afmiami View Post
In consideration of the many Chase cards with mileage benefits, I think it is a good idea.
Note that the proposal is specifically for an Ultimate Rewards forum, not for a Chase forum. Chase co-branded cards (BA, UA, WN; Fairmont, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott; Amtrak) would still be primarily discussed in the sponsoring airline, hotel or rail forum, just as American Express co-branded cards are primarily discussed in the sponsor forums.
mia is offline  
Old Mar 14, 13, 1:51 pm
  #27  
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 220
I vote yes
Dangjr213 is offline  
Old Mar 14, 13, 1:54 pm
  #28  
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: RDU
Programs: DL Platinum, SPG Gold
Posts: 244
I vote yes, similar to the MR forum.
brettalb is offline  
Old Mar 14, 13, 1:58 pm
  #29  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Luis Obispo, CA
Programs: Military Space-A, UA Plat, AA, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Gold
Posts: 1,233
I vote yes
slocouple is offline  
Old Mar 14, 13, 1:59 pm
  #30  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: SGU LAS
Programs: AA,BA,UA,US,SPG
Posts: 409
Yes to Chase UR forum!
2RETIREDTRAVELERS is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread