Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Proposal: New forum to discuss bloggers

Proposal: New forum to discuss bloggers

Old Mar 23, 13, 4:13 am
Suspended

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
Im surprised we havent seen more of the dupe handle blogger lobby on this thread

For most FTers blogs is the main area of getting the tricks of the trade.

Somehow we should allow discussion of such. Pretending it doesnt exist is never a good idea.
Old Mar 23, 13, 11:24 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Programs: UA 1K/MM refugee to cheapest business class fare, SPG Lifetime Plat, CBP Global Entry, #datelife
Originally Posted by travelkid View Post
Im surprised we havent seen more of the dupe handle blogger lobby on this thread

For most FTers blogs is the main area of getting the tricks of the trade.

Somehow we should allow discussion of such. Pretending it doesnt exist is never a good idea.
Oh, make no mistake, there is and will be discussion of blogs on FlyerTalk. Tons of it.

The only question is whether the TalkBoard will organize it or leave it primarily in MileBuzz but also in Manufactured Spending, OMNI and various other forums.

That's what makes all this fretting about the possible-terribles so silly. @:-)
Old Mar 23, 13, 11:41 am
Suspended

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
Originally Posted by kokonutz View Post
Oh, make no mistake, there is and will be discussion of blogs on FlyerTalk. Tons of it.

The only question is whether the TalkBoard will organize it or leave it primarily in MileBuzz but also in Manufactured Spending, OMNI and various other forums.

That's what makes all this fretting about the possible-terribles so silly. @:-)
Agreed. Far better to organize it IMO.
Old Mar 23, 13, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cblaisd View Post
There are posts about these events which amount to free advertising for a competitor. That issue aside, let's put all such commercial stuff into a segregated area where shilling can abound.
It is what the competitors do ! In fact they go even further...^

Originally Posted by travelkid View Post
Agreed. Far better to organize it IMO.
Organize, create a new forum(or re-purpose an old one), hire a moderator or two! Win, win, win!

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 23, 13 at 1:13 pm Reason: merge posts
Old Mar 23, 13, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I'm following with fascination. Not really sure which way I lean yet, but I'm reading.
Old Mar 29, 13, 5:51 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
I would say a new forum is a good idea for several reasons:

1. Miles/points bloggers are - for better or worse - a major fixture of the miles-obsession community. Many have grown far beyond one guy's little side hobby to be full-blown commercial ventures. FT has a "BLOGS" link at the very top left of the website for its owned blogs. Plus there is the IB-owned FrugalTravelGuy blog which often (though maybe not since the redesign) shows up prominently on the FT main page. Identifying them as an interest-area within their own forum seems appropriate.

We have minor things like Gaming Loyalty Programs, S.P.A.M. (which has only the slightest connection to a "frequent flyer community"), etc. receiving their own forums.

2. The current/recent blogger-related threads seem to either generate or end up in MilesBuzz, which is already cluttered enough with many threads that seem far from the stated description of MB.

3. MilePoint has had a few blogger-related threads, none of which seemed to have any issues with discussing pros, cons, different opinions, etc. One of the most well known bloggers, of course, co-founded MP and didn't seem to have needed to shut down those threads.

4. The concern was raised several times upthread that nastiness, etc. caused some blog threads to be locked at various times. I have some observations about that:

4a. My impression/recollection is that a few bad actors were typically the cause, far from the whole group of discussion participants.

4b. Plenty of threads in other forums are locked, permanently or sporadically, for similar reasons - Travel Security threads, AA bankruptcy, MP changes, you name it. This seems like a very shaky reason to not support a forum for blog discussion.

4c. Too often the reception given to new members, or even old timers, by some FT'ers is as bad or worse than posts in the blogger threads. Some of the worst attitudes in a few cases come from members upon whom FT has bestowed "honorifics" such as "Posting Legend", etc. That seems more of a black mark on FT than a smattering of bad posts in blogger threads.

5. Having a blog forum would allow threads on different types of blogs, subject matter, etc. rather than the current running blog thread that is all over the place.

6. Regarding SkiAdcock's comments:

Also I don't think you're giving FTers enough credit by assuming that bloggers need to be discussed in order to determine which one provides the best info for an FTer. FTers aren't children. My guess is that most can separate the wheat from the chaff themselves & don't need a separate forum for them to figure it out.
The same thing can be said for everything on FT - which FFP, what carry-on, is elite status worth it, where to stay in Paris, how to redeem for travel on Emirates, etc, etc. None of this is rocket science, the information is out there and people can theoretically decide for themselves. What's the point of FT in the first place then?

Also, the news stand is really more about generic travel news (and is hardly moribund) whereas the bloggers normally blog about either program promos (which should be discussed in the appropriate program forums) & the ubiquitous credit card promos/churns which get discussed in the miles buzz/credit card/manufactured spend forum/sub-forum.

So what's going to be discussed in a blogger forum other than the bloggers themselves?
As I noted above, travel and miles bloggers run a broad gamut far beyond this - and I enjoy reading many of them. If you're not aware of that, then it's a perfect reason to have a discussion forum on it!

7. As I mentioned earlier, some of the blogs are commercial ventures with multiple contributors, offer travel booking/consulting services, etc. It's not clear why these commercial entities are any different from other service providers and commercial entities that are the subject of FT discussion.
Old Apr 2, 13, 8:12 am

Programs: AC, UA
I like this proposal, provided it has a one major tweak. It's not the bloggers that I'm interested in discussing (sorry, it just isn't). It's the blogs and their contents. I could care less about the personalities involved. Blogs, however, are providing lots of "grist for the mill". Especially right now. I am learning more from the travel blogs than I'm learning on FT itself. It's probably a phase. Maybe it's because blogs have found a way to monetize information that I use to get for free on FlyerTalk. Maybe blogs are simplifying information that it seems every forum is now encoding. (I'm waiting for trip reports written in FlyerTalk code.) Whatever it is, blogs are now where the action is. Tapping into that would be good for FlyerTalk.
Old Apr 5, 13, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR (ex-75K, GLD, 1K, and S+), Choice Diamond, HZ PC, Costco Exec, NPS Passport
Originally Posted by canadianpilgrim View Post
I like this proposal, provided it has a one major tweak. It's not the bloggers that I'm interested in discussing (sorry, it just isn't). It's the blogs and their contents. I could care less about the personalities involved.
In my reading on this issue, the sense I'm getting is that it's going to be hard to force the new forum (just as it's been hard to force the existing threads on the topic) to obey a restriction like that. Discussion will happen, and even with the best efforts of good moderators, it is going to be hard to keep the discussion from going downhill.
Old Apr 5, 13, 1:29 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by jackal View Post
In my reading on this issue, the sense I'm getting is that it's going to be hard to force the new forum (just as it's been hard to force the existing threads on the topic) to obey a restriction like that. Discussion will happen, and even with the best efforts of good moderators, it is going to be hard to keep the discussion from going downhill.
Which is one of the reasons I voted "no" on this.
Old Apr 5, 13, 2:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan, Canada & Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by jackal View Post
it's going to be hard to force the new forum (just as it's been hard to force the existing threads on the topic) to obey a restriction like that.
New forum? Has it been approved already? I understood voting was ongoing until 11th Apr or until enough TB members voted for approval and I don't see notice of that so did you mean to say proposed new forum, jackal, or did I miss a TB vote post on this motion?
Old Apr 5, 13, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR (ex-75K, GLD, 1K, and S+), Choice Diamond, HZ PC, Costco Exec, NPS Passport
Originally Posted by tcook052 View Post
New forum? Has it been approved already? I understood voting was ongoing until 11th Apr or until enough TB members voted for approval and I don't see notice of that so did you mean to say proposed new forum, jackal, or did I miss a TB vote post on this motion?
You didn't miss anything. Apologies for omitting the word "proposed" and/or not using the subjunctive mood. I thought it would be obvious in the context.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: