Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Proposal: New forum to discuss bloggers

Proposal: New forum to discuss bloggers

Old Mar 13, 13, 7:58 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Programs: UA 1K/MM refugee to cheapest business class fare, SPG Lifetime Plat, CBP Global Entry, #datelife
Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post
I like the idea of creating a forum where people bring up a blog entry and debate it.

Lets say you read this blog: http://www.a-cocktail-a-day.com/ (intentionally picking a unknown uncontroversial blog) and you want to know where the author took the photos of Pamukkale in Turkey and if there is a trip report somewhere on FT or how to get there on Chase UR points on the Labor Day weekend, so you go to the new forum and open a thread. A fellow FTer may come along and tell you that Iceland is a much better option that time of year, since its less travel time and you can use AS miles. Why talk about it on FT and not on the blog itself? Well, it may be that you want to debate this with your peers, kind of how you talk about the movie you saw with your buddies in a bar and not on facebook.

It doesn't mean you start (offensively) commenting on the blogger itself, and if you have questions why she got invited by Starbucks to try out their winter specials or why Coca-Cola sponsored her post about a polar bear video, I'm sure they can be asked while keeping in line with the current ToS (or future versions that will probably address the commercial issues in more detail).
Yep. That's the idea!

Alternately, I suppose we could just open a thread about each points and miles blog in this forum and discuss what audience that blog is good for and that blog's posts in those threads. But that would tend to clutter up MilesBuzz, imho.

Originally Posted by hobo13 View Post
Not sure I completely understand the post....

But I trust the FT community to differentiate between blogs which are commercial ventures and ones which are run as a hobby. Frankly, it should be painfully obvious.

And the ones that are commercial ventures -- how is discussing them really any different than discussing a story in the MSM? They are both media outlets, and we should discuss the content of their publication. In the case of the MSM, you can bet that any relevant story gets a thread in Travel News. In the case of the commercial blogs, however, EVERY story is relevant -- this proposal is basically to create a consistent and convenient place for those discussions which it seems obvious should be taking place on FT, the definitive source for travel....
I just learned yesterday that some blogs pay freelance writers to write some of their posts. These are very, very clearly commercial ventures, not hobbies.
Old Mar 13, 13, 8:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I like the idea of creating a forum where people bring up a blog entry and debate it.

Lets say you read this blog: http://www.a-cocktail-a-day.com/ (intentionally picking a unknown uncontroversial blog) and you want to know where the author took the photos of Pamukkale in Turkey and if there is a trip report somewhere on FT or how to get there on Chase UR points on the Labor Day weekend, so you go to the new forum and open a thread. A fellow FTer may come along and tell you that Iceland is a much better option that time of year, since its less travel time and you can use AS miles. Why talk about it on FT and not on the blog itself? Well, it may be that you want to debate this with your peers, kind of how you talk about the movie you saw with your buddies in a bar and not on facebook.

It doesn't mean you start (offensively) commenting on the blogger itself, and if you have questions why she got invited by Starbucks to try out their winter specials or why Coca-Cola sponsored her post about a polar bear video, I'm sure they can be asked while keeping in line with the current ToS (or future versions that will probably address the commercial issues in more detail).
That probably works for non-controversial, but given the vitirol (sp?) displayed by a # of FTers to bloggers where multiple threads had to be shut down by the mods I'm very concerned that a forum is created where the likelihood of that happening is pretty high. I was stunned by the vitirol/nasty remarks posted by FTers & the thought by many that bloggers are the enemy.

FWIW - people, whether FTers, lurkers, or infrequent travelers can get their travel information from a # of sources & should go to whatever source best meets their needs. Sometimes it will be FT, sometimes it will be a blog, sometimes it will be CNN, sometimes it will their Aun Jen.

Cheers.

Cheers.
Old Mar 13, 13, 8:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan, Canada & Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock View Post
That probably works for non-controversial, but given the vitirol (sp?) displayed by a # of FTers to bloggers where multiple threads had to be shut down by the mods I'm very concerned that a forum is created where the likelihood of that happening is pretty high. I was stunned by the vitirol/nasty remarks posted by FTers & the thought by many that bloggers are the enemy.

FWIW - people, whether FTers, lurkers, or infrequent travelers can get their travel information from a # of sources & should go to whatever source best meets their needs. Sometimes it will be FT, sometimes it will be a blog, sometimes it will be CNN, sometimes it will their Aun Jen.
+1
Old Mar 13, 13, 8:55 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM refugee to cheapest business class fare, SPG Lifetime Plat, CBP Global Entry, #datelife

Cheers.

Cheers.
And folks who want to discuss miles and points blogs...where should they go? 'Cause Aun Jen don't wanna talk about 'em!
Old Mar 13, 13, 9:15 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Well, the MB mods have a good grip on things already, I'm sure the new section could be equally 'guided' and after a few nudges members will learn to contain their vitriol
Old Mar 13, 13, 9:31 am

Well, the MB mods have a good grip on things already, I'm sure the new section could be equally 'guided' and after a few nudges members will learn to contain their vitriol
Or they'll need additional mods to help out, as word I heard is the blogger conversations keep them very busy. If you're free you can volunteer

Cheers.
Old Mar 13, 13, 9:33 am

On a different note, since we ask others who propose new forums to answer these questions in order to help us when considering them, I thought I'd post the below for the OP:

The following are qualitative criteria that the TalkBoard believes are useful to consider when evaluating proposals to create, close, split, or move forums. Whenever a forum change is discussed on the TalkBoard Topics, the TalkBoard encourages posters to fully address these criteria in addition to any other reasons supporting or opposing the change.

1. Will the forum be (or is it now) beneficial to FlyerTalk?

2. Will the new forum benefit a relationship with FlyerTalk? E.g., does the forum provide value for FT members, such as a friendly ear highly placed in the company

3. Is FT the best place to discuss this subject?

4. Is there a passionate following? This is essential in order to provide dedicated expert helpers to get questions answered.

5. Is a critical mass of posts and readers anticipated or existing? We need adequate traffic to keep everyone visiting frequently. One living forum is more valuable than two mostly dead ones.

6. Is this the best place on FlyerTalk for this subject? This is the classification issue. The answer depends primarily on achieving and maintaining critical mass. It also depends on whether or where the discussion might (or does) occur in the absence of the forum.

7. For proposals to split a forum, is the split expected to improve the signal to noise ratio? Why?

Procedural Statements by the TalkBoard

8. The TalkBoard does not anticipate using automatic sunsetting of forums, preferring instead to create forums only when we they are strongly expected to succeed.

Cheers.
Old Mar 13, 13, 9:53 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Or they'll need additional mods to help out, as word I heard is the blogger conversations keep them very busy. If you're free you can volunteer
Dear TBVP, as you know Senior Mods already moderate some 70+ sections of FT that are unmoderated, adding that section would hardly make a dent in my workload...
Old Mar 13, 13, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, once-upon-a-time NW Gold, BMI Gold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by kokonutz View Post
I just learned yesterday that some blogs pay freelance writers to write some of their posts. These are very, very clearly commercial ventures, not hobbies.
That was very illuminating to me as well. The line between commercial blogs and magazine websites is blurring. It's really amazing how fast this sector has grown.
Old Mar 13, 13, 11:46 am

Dear TBVP, as you know Senior Mods already moderate some 70+ sections of FT that are unmoderated, adding that section would hardly make a dent in my workload...
Didn't realize that 70+ forums were very contentious. Well done you

Cheers.
Old Mar 13, 13, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by hobo13 View Post
That was very illuminating to me as well. The line between commercial blogs and magazine websites is blurring. It's really amazing how fast this sector has grown.
Maybe blog discussion can just be moved into the Newsstand forum as an alternative, and then rename that forum Newsstand and Blogs?
Old Mar 13, 13, 12:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
This would be akin to opening a forum just to talk about the CEOs and presidents of the airlines.

Blog content can be discussed in the appropriate existing forum (Credit card deals in Mileage Buzz, Airline promotions in the specific airline forum). What else would be needed?
Old Mar 13, 13, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by tom911 View Post
Maybe blog discussion can just be moved into the Newsstand forum as an alternative, and then rename that forum Newsstand and Blogs?
This is an interesting idea! ^
Old Mar 13, 13, 2:20 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by kokonutz View Post
This is an interesting idea! ^
This sounds like the setup on MP, although MP had to create subfora, one for news and one for blogs, which they link. (AFAIK there's no discussion of blogs and bloggers over there.)
Old Mar 13, 13, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by lin821 View Post
Our TOS makes it clear that every FTer is of the same protected class.
Somebody better tell Doug Parker, Jeff Smisek, etc. to register here so we stop dumping on them.

Originally Posted by lin821 View Post
The bottom line is how many FTers can really just discuss the content of blogs or faceless corporations, and not getting personal with bloggers
Faceless corporations like the ones that have their CEOs starring in departure videos?

Originally Posted by tcook052 View Post
It's UA Insider's full-time JOB to represent their company and is why their FT handle is green and if they wanted to spend time here on their own would need a personal username.
That's not true in practice, as I know of one official rep with a green handle that's participated in many areas outside of their official forum (and I've enjoyed their contributions).

Originally Posted by tcook052 View Post
It's not the case with most bloggers who may do it only part-time and spend time on their own participating in FT so treating them the same won't work as IMHO they aren't.
I don't think the part-time, non-commercial bloggers are what some see as an issue.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: