Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Proposal: This House believes WE NEED MORE MILES! So why is this forum public?

Proposal: This House believes WE NEED MORE MILES! So why is this forum public?

Old Feb 16, 2013, 8:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by TailSpin
My opinion means nothing at this point
Nonsense and I for one am glad you shared it. Beyond the nuts & bolts of fact driven answers to some questions the bulk of interactions here on FT are subjective and opinion driven and in that regard all of our opinions carry the same weight.

MHO is that since TB has repeatedly declined to restrict access to MR Deals forum this precedent should apply to this brand new forum.

Last edited by tcook052; Feb 16, 2013 at 9:49 pm
Old Feb 17, 2013, 3:40 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by neuro0
Because FT is here to make money from advertisements. The more traffic it can get, the better.
TB has never taken that into consideration when making decisions & so far IB hasn't interfered w/ TB.

Originally Posted by kipper
To gain access to OMNI, one must not only have 180 posts, but must have been a member for at least 180 days. That's an average of 1 post/day, which isn't a lot.

At least a few of the bloggers whom you seem to dislike are long-term, contributing FT members, so restricting the forum may not do that much to eliminate this information being posted on blogs.

New members being "'known & trustworthy' (through long-time membership and contributions to the board)" means that you'd exclude new members. How can a new member have long-time membership to the board?
Agree.

Originally Posted by Stubtify
Login access stops who from seeing things?

Bloggers? No.
Corporate watchdogs? No.
Newbies? Well... maybe, but they can just go to the blogger for their info.

You have to assume with FT being around for so long that all the big names (chase, Amex...) all have someone who has a FT account.
Agree. And don't forget CNN, etc. There are a myriad of ways to find out info/deals, with FT just being one of them. I'm also not that supportive of it's ok for me to know about the deal, but not others train of thought.

Originally Posted by ScottC
Anyone that thinks that locking it down will stop companies from just posting a bunch so they can get in is nuts. Any company interested enough in what happens here will get in the forum.
Agree.

Originally Posted by tom911
One parameter you should consider is the lack of Talk Board members posting to support your position. Those are the folks you need to win over.
Can't speak for other TB members, but I'm not supportive of this motion.

Originally Posted by tcook052
Nonsense and I for one am glad you shared it. Beyond the nuts & bolts of fact driven answers to some questions the bulk of interactions here on FT are subjective and opinion driven and in that regard all of our opinions carry the same weight.
Agree.

Cheers.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 8:10 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
I'm new to this site and this activity (I'm sure there is another term for it but I am new enough not to know the term). I'm not new to forums of course and participate in a few. This is by far the most active and "information focused" forum that I've sever seen.

My opinion means nothing at this point but here it is anyway: Please keep the OMNI section the way it is. As someone starting out I can tell you I have plenty to do and learn for 180 days/posts that future goodies don't need to be exposed... Something to look forward to
Couldn't have said this better myself. I have been here less than 3 months and am on here hours on end every day (yeah, I know, no life). I have so much to read, absorb and learn that, while I am sure Omni is fun it isn't even on my radar as I joined for the purpose of learning. Once I am more comfortable in my knowledge, I will move on to the purely fun stuff. Althugh I will admit, I have a few favorite hot button topics that I seek out to just sit back and watch the fun (kids in F/J, Seat poachers, DYKWIA, anyone?).

I think at first I would have bristled at adding more posting reqs/time limits but as I delve into this place deeper, I realize there is so much valuable learning to do that one doesn't need to rush the process and demand access to the juicy bits before putting in their time as it were. I try to contribute to things I feel I can help with but we all know, our first few months on here is and should be spent learning and asking questions of those with much more experience than us.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 4:32 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
I'm new to this site and <snip>

My opinion means nothing at this point but here it is anyway: Please keep the OMNI section the way it is. As someone starting out I can tell you I have plenty to do and learn for 180 days/posts that future goodies don't need to be exposed... Something to look forward to
Originally Posted by Finkface
I try to contribute to things I feel I can help with but we all know, our first few months on here is and should be spent learning and asking questions of those with much more experience than us.
In terms of "join date", seniority doesn't always guarantee knowledge in the world of travel, points and miles. I've been equally stunned by knowledgeable newbies and clueless early birds on FT. Don't be fooled by post counts. They can be deceiving too.

FT is established by sharing and giving. What matters is content and substance. FTers can always learn from one another, no matter how "fresh" the other faces are on FT.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 1:21 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by lin821
FT is established by sharing and giving. What matters is content and substance.
All the more reason not to lock down another forum Can't share if you don't have access.

Tom in snow-covered Berlin
Old Feb 19, 2013, 1:25 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Can't speak for other TB members, but I'm not supportive of this motion.
Glad to see one Talk Board member has chimed in. ^
Old Feb 19, 2013, 8:34 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Glad to see one Talk Board member has chimed in. ^
I've been following/reading this thread, but I don't know enough about the topic to have an opinion yet. I need to spend some time learning about the issues discussed on the forum.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:29 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
...Can't speak for other TB members, but I'm not supportive of this motion....

Cheers.
Add another TB member who is not supportive of this measure. Yes, I was in favor of restricting the M/R Deals Forum but (and maybe it's me being out of work and having cut up all my credit cards except one) where the manufactured Spending forum is relatively new, I'd like to see how it pans out and may change my opinion at a later date
Old Feb 19, 2013, 9:09 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Two things to bring to mind:

Claiming a particular position is extremely popular (or not) on FT will probably glean more attention from TB if there are actual data to back the position.

There are already declared - and undeclared - company reps on FT that meet criteria for The Coupon Connection and would presumably meet criteria for "Manufactured Spending" as well. (Yes, I know "stealthy" company reps read CC, for example.)
Old Feb 20, 2013, 9:28 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
One easy way to partially and imperfectly document that others support your position is to post a poll. However, this should be done with the understanding that TB will consider the poll as constituting some sort of evidence, but will not necessarily vote according to the poll. Of course, the more people respond to the poll the better, questions need to be phrased carefully, the poll must be posted where interested people see it,.....
Old Feb 24, 2013, 2:54 am

Doesn't look like there's much interest in this topic to have a poll.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Doesn't look like there's much interest in this topic to have a poll.
@:-) 26 FlyerTakl members have weighed in on this subject.

As for me: I am in the same boat as MSPeconomist.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:19 pm

And the OP who started this thread has not returned to comment about a poll.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

hopefully some blog readers will join and STAY
thats a potential effect of forum in addition to clean up milesbuzz whether stated or not

mileage run is public
Old Mar 16, 2013, 6:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Motion: This House believes WE NEED MORE MILES! So why is this forum public?

I am also a newbie so take my 2 cents for what it is worth but access based solely on quantity does little to ensure quality IMHO
We all know folks who post and talk up a storm but possibly that person that only posts when they have something of real substance to add is the more valuable contributor. I have been somewhat hesitant to post often because of some of the harsh responses others have received but as Kobe says its time to put my big boy pants on and dive in😄
Looking forward to getting to know you all and engaging more on this site!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.