Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

What's happening with the BD forum?

What's happening with the BD forum?

 

Old Jan 23, 13, 8:15 am
  #31  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: ICT
Programs: Airline Independent, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat
Posts: 1,858
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
I prefer that the BD forum status quo remain for at least the better part of this year, with a scheduled revisit of this issue at some point in the last quarter of the year or at the turn of the year.
Based upon the excellent points made, that would be my conclusion as well.
HansGolden is offline  
Old Oct 10, 13, 10:56 am
  #32  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: back to my roots in Scotland!
Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Posts: 47,845
Ten months later, activity in the BD forum has all but dwindled.

Nine threads active in the last two weeks, some of which are nothing to do with the current BD (Scottish exams, who are you flying with now).

Any news? Any sign of proactive management?
Jenbel is offline  
Old Oct 10, 13, 11:48 am
  #33  
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth
Programs: UA 1K/MM refugee to cheapest business class fare, SPG Lifetime Plat, CBP Global Entry, #datelife
Posts: 47,933
Originally Posted by Jenbel View Post
Ten months later, activity in the BD forum has all but dwindled.

Nine threads active in the last two weeks, some of which are nothing to do with the current BD (Scottish exams, who are you flying with now).

Any news? Any sign of proactive management?
Are you suggesting that the time has come to pull the cord?
kokonutz is offline  
Old Oct 10, 13, 4:35 pm
  #34  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In theory near BHD or ABZ, but usually a hotel in another country
Programs: Seniors Bus Pass, BA Silver
Posts: 4,882
As per the original views of GC, after the last redemptions have been flown (now I think?) and the final refunds and cancellation hiccups are resolved (pretty soon about now). New problems have emerged that had not occurred back in January.

There are still problems for the rolling status matches into the second year which are entirely for bmi status matchers - and not really a BA board thing. They will disappear in a few months when the last possible renewal has moved along.

The bmi card is still earning points (fully convertible to BA Avios) and there are problems accessing the old Diamond Club site. I solved a problem for someone only last month (not publicly on FT) over access and transfer of points.

The BD forum may be on life support, and measured for the coffin, but the invitations for the wake should still be a few months away.
antichef is offline  
Old Oct 10, 13, 4:40 pm
  #35  
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: DUB - Ireland
Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
Posts: 8,525
The lack of a sign visible does not not imply the lack of active management. Such would be simply an inference.

There is a detailed plan for the wind down and closure as decided upon by the CD - and the 3 forum mods have unanimously assented to her vision and will undertake any groundwork required before the plug is pulled.

If the CD wishes to share details of her vision, she may chose to do so.

As antichef has noted, there is some critical - and not elsewhere available - assistance being derived from the forum still, but the coffin certainly has been measured. [/flips though hymnal]

GoldCircle
bmi forum Mod team
GoldCircle is offline  
Old Oct 11, 13, 1:13 am
  #36  
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: MUC
Programs: LH SEN
Posts: 36,222
So will you have an irish wake?
oliver2002 is offline  
Old Oct 11, 13, 2:57 am
  #37  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: back to my roots in Scotland!
Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Posts: 47,845
Originally Posted by kokonutz View Post
Are you suggesting that the time has come to pull the cord?
No, I'm asking for information, since there was nothing on the board and nothing on here.

The fact that there is a plan, and I'm sure it's been discussed in full with the mods and the TB is reassuring though.

Is there a reason why it is being kept quiet?
Jenbel is offline  
Old Oct 11, 13, 8:00 am
  #38  
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: DUB - Ireland
Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
Posts: 8,525
It's not being 'kept quiet'. There are no conspiracies or plots afoot.

Sometimes things take time to work through appropriately. I'm sure there will be an announcement at an appropriate time, from appropriate source(s) when everyone necessary is in the loop.

For now, it is business as usual in the bmi forum. By 'as usual', I intend it be understood that we are in wind-down mode and that traffic is diminishing, as might be expected.

Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post
So will you have an Irish wake?
I refer the 'Gentleman' to my previous...

Originally Posted by GoldCircle View Post
...and will undertake any groundwork required before the plug is pulled.
GoldCircle
bmi forum Mod team
GoldCircle is offline  
Old Oct 11, 13, 11:12 am
  #39  
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth
Programs: UA 1K/MM refugee to cheapest business class fare, SPG Lifetime Plat, CBP Global Entry, #datelife
Posts: 47,933
Originally Posted by Jenbel View Post
No, I'm asking for information, since there was nothing on the board and nothing on here.

The fact that there is a plan, and I'm sure it's been discussed in full with the mods and the TB is reassuring though.

Is there a reason why it is being kept quiet?
The last post I can find about it in the private TB forum is mine on Jan 21, 13, 3:19 pm.

The information provided by Gold Circle is news to me. So I wouldn't be so sure...
kokonutz is offline  
Old Oct 11, 13, 11:34 am
  #40  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Posts: 66,001
Originally Posted by GoldCircle View Post
It's not being 'kept quiet'. There are no conspiracies or plots afoot.

Sometimes things take time to work through appropriately. I'm sure there will be an announcement at an appropriate time, from appropriate source(s) when everyone necessary is in the loop.

For now, it is business as usual in the bmi forum. By 'as usual', I intend it be understood that we are in wind-down mode and that traffic is diminishing, as might be expected.

GoldCircle
bmi forum Mod team
Sounds about right. From posts in this thread earlier in the year it was anticipated that towards year end, bmi (w/ all the appropriate farewell drinkies ) would probably wind down. Sounds like that's on track & when the final death knell rings, I'm sure the CommunityDirector, mods & TB will touch base.

Speaking only for myself I don't see a need for TB involvement at this point based on antichef & GoldCircle's recent posts. Sounds like bmi is in its final death thralls but not quite dead yet.

And again speaking only for myself & not other TB members, I don't think that when the funeral is held for bmi, that it really needs a formal TB motion/vote to move it to discontinued programs vs. the CommunityDirector just doing so after making an announcement in the forum & here. But that's just my take on it. Other TB members may feel differently.

Cheers.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Oct 11, 13 at 12:16 pm Reason: changed a couple words to clarify something...
SkiAdcock is offline  
Old Oct 11, 13, 11:41 am
  #41  
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth
Programs: UA 1K/MM refugee to cheapest business class fare, SPG Lifetime Plat, CBP Global Entry, #datelife
Posts: 47,933
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock View Post
Sounds about right. From posts in this thread earlier in the year it was anticipated that towards year end, bmi (w/ all the appropriate farewell drinkies ) would probably wind down. Sounds like that's on track & when the final death knell rings, I'm sure the CommunityDirector, mods & TB will touch base.

Speaking only for myself I don't see a need for TB involvement at this point based on antichef & GoldCircle's recent posts. Sounds like bmi is in its final death thralls but not quite dead yet.

And again speaking only for myself & not other TB members, I doubt when the funeral is held for bmi, that it really needs a TB motion/vote to move it to discontinued programs vs. the CommunityDirector just doing so after making an announcement in the forum & here. But that's just my take on it. Other TB members may feel differently.

Cheers.
Ultimately all we do is make recommendations. <shrugs>
kokonutz is offline  
Old Oct 11, 13, 2:58 pm
  #42  
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: DUB - Ireland
Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
Posts: 8,525
Everyone serves at the CD's pleasure.
GoldCircle is offline  
Old Oct 11, 13, 5:12 pm
  #43  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In theory near BHD or ABZ, but usually a hotel in another country
Programs: Seniors Bus Pass, BA Silver
Posts: 4,882
I don't even think a vote will make any difference! As these last problems are aired and discussed or resolved it will just fade away as the last vestiges of the scheme die off.
antichef is offline  
Old Oct 11, 13, 11:01 pm
  #44  
Community Director
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Anywhere warm
Posts: 29,229
Originally Posted by GoldCircle View Post
There is a detailed plan for the wind down and closure as decided upon by the CD - and the 3 forum mods have unanimously assented to her vision and will undertake any groundwork required before the plug is pulled.
We committed to a plan just a week ago. We'll wrap up the forum yearend and move it onward to the discontinued programs. It will be the end of a lovely program.
SanDiego1K is offline  
Old Oct 16, 13, 8:34 pm
  #45  
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: NorCal - SMF area
Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Posts: 60,724
As has been indicated by the Community Director, a plan for the BD forum is in place; there is no further need to flog a deceased equine. A decision has been made and announced about it, and as the thread has no further purpose it is now closed for discussion.

Thanks each and everyone for your input and concerns.

/Moderator

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 24, 13 at 3:06 pm Reason: add closure
JDiver is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread