Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Proposal: Manufacturers Forum

Old Dec 13, 12, 3:13 pm
formerly killuminati
Original Poster

There should be a Manufacturers section with subforums for Boeing, Airbus, Bombardier, Embraer etc.

It just seems a natural fit and I'm surprised that it currently doesn't exist. Right now articles/information/questions that are not airline specific but rather manufacturer specific, get asked in users' 'home' airline subforum. There's no collective grouping. I think it would be a very useful forum.
Old Dec 13, 12, 4:30 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
This is an interesting suggestion, but from what I see, most of the posts which are manufacturer specific are also airline specific as well. Since each airline configures plane interiors differently, people are concerned about, for example, the layout of seats on a Lufthansa A380, not just general information about A380s.

Also, there already is a website that seems to better fill the niche of serious discussion about planes and their manufacturers - www.airliners.net. I am not sure that adding a forum here on a frequent flyer website would really help people seeking information about manufacturers.
Old Dec 13, 12, 8:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan & Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by You want to go where? View Post
This is an interesting suggestion, but from what I see, most of the posts which are manufacturer specific are also airline specific as well. Since each airline configures plane interiors differently, people are concerned about, for example, the layout of seats on a Lufthansa A380, not just general information about A380s.

Also, there already is a website that seems to better fill the niche of serious discussion about planes and their manufacturers - www.airliners.net. I am not sure that adding a forum here on a frequent flyer website would really help people seeking information about manufacturers.
Completely agree with both thoughts and will only add that rather than creating new forums I think topics like this could find a home in a few exisiting forums like TravelBuzz. Just MHO.
Old Dec 13, 12, 9:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I know of at least one competing FF website (not airliners.net) that does have a similar forum but I'm not very familiar with it. I intend to look to see what kind of information tends to be posted there and perhaps to check for similar fora in other FF websites. I'd personally be interested in this, but I'm not sure what the appeal would be for most FTers, as opposed to airline-specific configuration information which tends to be covered in our existing airline fora.
Old Dec 14, 12, 2:03 am

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
There are times we wander into kiddiestalkingaboutplanes.net territory. I'd hate to encourage that by having a forum for the fanboys.
Old Dec 14, 12, 3:26 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
I go to pprune.org for pilot and tech chatter, FT for SLF chatter. FT is clearly a travel related website, please no spotter and technical talk!
Old Dec 14, 12, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
There are a number of non-airline specific aircraft topics that show up in TravelBuzz on a regular basis, that get participation from FTers that have a professional background in aviation. Can the OP point to a thread where questions went unanswered?

Setting up a forum doesn't mean it will attract increased activity. In fact, it could cause the opposite effect, and topics that get moved there end up in a ghost town.

Originally Posted by Jenbel View Post
There are times we wander into kiddiestalkingaboutplanes.net territory. I'd hate to encourage that by having a forum for the fanboys.
What, you don't find teenage airline CEOs posting from their mom's basement informative?
Old Dec 15, 12, 9:35 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
While I'm inclined to agree w/ the others that I don't think it's necessary/is filled in other forums, I'm willing to keep an open mind.

To the OP, it helps TB members when considering new forums if questions below are answered.

The following are qualitative criteria that the TalkBoard believes are useful to consider when evaluating proposals to create, close, split, or move forums. Whenever a forum change is discussed on the TalkBoard Topics, the TalkBoard encourages posters to fully address these criteria in addition to any other reasons supporting or opposing the change.

1. Will the forum be (or is it now) beneficial to FlyerTalk?

2. Will the new forum benefit a relationship with FlyerTalk? E.g., does the forum provide value for FT members, such as a friendly ear highly placed in the company

3. Is FT the best place to discuss this subject?

4. Is there a passionate following? This is essential in order to provide dedicated expert helpers to get questions answered.

5. Is a critical mass of posts and readers anticipated or existing? We need adequate traffic to keep everyone visiting frequently. One living forum is more valuable than two mostly dead ones.

6. Is this the best place on FlyerTalk for this subject? This is the classification issue. The answer depends primarily on achieving and maintaining critical mass. It also depends on whether or where the discussion might (or does) occur in the absence of the forum.

7. For proposals to split a forum, is the split expected to improve the signal to noise ratio? Why?

Cheers.
Old Jan 17, 13, 1:57 pm
Moderator, Alaska Airlines & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR (ex-75K, GLD, 1K, and S+), Choice Diamond, HZ PC, Costco Exec, NPS Passport
As someone more interested in the technical side of aviation, I am intrigued by this idea. I do think there could be some benefit gained from this proposal. For example, a centralized place to discuss the current issues with the 787 would be useful. Currently, my information on the 787 is limited to what is posted in the UA forum (not much) and what I see when I skim through my Facebook news feed (usually links to a couple different blogs) or what friends email me. Without Facebook, I probably would have no idea that ANA had had an issue or even that the FAA grounded them.

I do VERY occasionally (as in, a couple times a year) end up reading an a.net thread or two (usually emailed to me from friends), and I find it a fascinating mix of interesting technical analysis, complete balderdash from people who like to hear themselves talk, and an exercise in probably the poorest example of moderation on any Internet forum I've seen. I think we can do better here on FlyerTalk.

I look forward to reading continuing discussion on this as the idea evolves.
Old Jan 25, 13, 1:23 am

I am also interested to have such topic in this forum. Please include so we can discuss more about it here and get suggestions

Search this Thread