Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Proposal - Turkey sub-forum in Europe section

Proposal - Turkey sub-forum in Europe section

Old May 27, 2013, 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by flamingpanties
Turkey is marginally in Europe; most of the country is in Asia. I have seen it classified as part of the middle east. I think Turkey deserves its own forum, so I agree with the point of this thread.
That's debatable, and often driven by politics or economics, to be mildly OMNI-esque. It also tends to be more of a North American viewpoint.

But I strongly support a Turkey sub-forum in the Europe section, and certainly there is a lot more to the country than just IST, which really doesn't seem to get much exposure here. OP's original motivations may not be the same as mine, but I support the recommendation, so long as FT keeps Turkey within the Europe forum.
Old May 30, 2013, 9:53 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
One factor that might affect forum placement is Turkey's continuing and seemingly ever-increasing relationship with the European Union (it is currently an EU Associate Member, and belongs to several Eurocentric organisations.

"Croatia and Turkey started accession talks on 3 October 2005. Turkey could complete them in 10-15 years, but Croatia is set to join the EU in mid-2013." (BBC) Turkey continues to modify its Constitution and other seminal documents to comply with EU requirements.
Old May 30, 2013, 10:00 am
Community Director Emerita

Threads about Turkey are currently placed in the European forum. When I became Community Director, one of the things I did was clean up the destination forums order and attempt to give clarity about where topics should be placed. I found threads about Turkey in the Middle East forum, the Asia forum, and the Europe forum. For all the reasons given above, I chose to consolidate them in the Europe forum. The parent forum for all the European forums was renamed:

Europe including Turkey

I then updated the description for the Europe subforum as follows:

"For discussion of Schengen Visa questions, pan-european matters, cross country travels, and countries without their own dedicated section including Turkey."

I'm not making any point as to whether a forum specifically for Turkey should be formed, simply stating where the country is currently discussed.
Old May 30, 2013, 10:58 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Miles & Smiles (TK0) and others
Originally Posted by exbayern
That's debatable, and often driven by politics or economics, to be mildly OMNI-esque. It also tends to be more of a North American viewpoint.

But I strongly support a Turkey sub-forum in the Europe section, and certainly there is a lot more to the country than just IST, which really doesn't seem to get much exposure here. OP's original motivations may not be the same as mine, but I support the recommendation, so long as FT keeps Turkey within the Europe forum.
I don't know what you mean by "OMNI-esque" because I have no access.

How about a Eurasian sub-forum that would be for Turkey and countries like Georgia, Armenia, the Caucasus and the many "Stans" of Central Asia?
Old May 30, 2013, 5:53 pm

I mean that there are generally political and sometimes economic issues which result in some countries considering or calling Turkey part of the 'Middle East'. It's a political topic (and discussed in the Turkish media as well) and thus not suitable for this discussion.

I feel strongly however that Turkey was placed here correctly on FT as part of Europe. I for one couldn't find the info I needed on FT for a long time due to the number of threads misplaced, and until SanDiego1K did the clean up and realignment, I'm sure that others had similar issues finding threads about Turkey.

I see this as connected - if a subforum is created, there may be more traffic and less confusion about where to find/post threads about Turkey. And then hopefully we'll also see more than just mostly posts about IST, and more about the rest of the country. (I will admit to selfish interests in that regard)
Old May 31, 2013, 12:35 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Turkey is marginally in Europe; most of the country is in Asia. I have seen it classified as part of the middle east. I think Turkey deserves its own forum, so I agree with the point of this thread.
How would you feel if Russia was moved to the Asia category then? Doesn't make much sense in pratice, even if the majority of the country is located in Asia. I'm not too sure about where certain countries are placed in forums in other languages, but I don't sense an FT paradigm shift regarding Turkey being moved to the Asia category.
Old May 31, 2013, 6:07 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Miles & Smiles (TK0) and others
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
How would you feel if Russia was moved to the Asia category then?
That would be fine, I don't really care, although I think Russia is more of a European country culturally than Turkey. The Eurasia forum idea was just an idea, and there's no absolute line separating the continents anyway, only ideas.
Old May 31, 2013, 11:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
That would be fine, I don't really care, although I think Russia is more of a European country culturally than Turkey. The Eurasia forum idea was just an idea, and there's no absolute line separating the continents anyway, only ideas.
I don't believe that many people would think to look for Turkey in the Asia forum.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.