Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Suggestion: Rename Marriott forum to include Ritz Carlton (updated title)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2012, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

Might we add Ritz-Carlton Rewards to the Marriott Rewards title/link under hotel programs since they are linked, but still two distinctly different programs? It's a little confusing right now with everything in one pot, but the board title only saying "Marriott Rewards."
Old May 11, 2012, 1:53 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
You might want to ask this on the Talkboard Topics forum. Recommendations for forum creations/removals/name changes/etc is one of the main things they do.

For what its worth, I think there is some merit the idea and definitely worth getting it infront of the TB for discussion.
Old May 11, 2012, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by hhoope01
You might want to ask this on the Talkboard Topics forum. Recommendations for forum creations/removals/name changes/etc is one of the main things they do.

For what its worth, I think there is some merit the idea and definitely worth getting it in front of the TB for discussion.
Two good ideas. I did the move.

Bruce
Marriott Rewards Moderator
Old May 11, 2012, 4:00 pm

For some background info (as I'm not sure how much the various TB members normally follow the Marriott Forum.)

The Ritz Carlton brand (RC) is owned by Marriott. This makes the RC brand similar to the St. Regis brand for Starwood or possibly the Waldorf Astoria brand for Hilton. Toward the end of 2010, Marriott announced that RC would have its own Rewards program. Basically that Rewards program is the same as normal Marriott's Reward program, but with a "different" front end. Points are the same, earnings are the same and members can even switch between the two programs almost at will. The only major difference is that having an RC program allows them to target RC members with ads and promos differently than Marriott Rewards members.

If anyone wants to see any of the major RC threads in the Marriott forum, check out the RC section on the Marriott FAQ sticky thread. It has links to a number of the various discussion threads around the RC program and its relationship with the Marriott Rewards program.

With that said, we do tend to see from time to time questions concerning the RC program (due to a lack of understanding of what it is and its relationship to the Marriott program). Also, there is a Luxury Hotels forum that some could easily go there to ask about RC as some of RCs major competitors (i.e. Four Seasons) is listed there. Note that there is probably nothing wrong with someone asking a non-rewards RC question in the Luxury Hotel forum, but the Marriott/RC forum would definitely be a better place for any Rewards program questions.

By adding RC to the Marriott forum title, it could help direct persons to the correct forum for questions about the RC program.

I did entertain for a bit the thought of suggesting an RC "sub-forum" under Marriott's program. But while there are some questions/comments/posts specficly concerning the RC program, there aren't necessarily a lot of those (as compared to the Marriott specific volume of posts) and the answers to most questions is "its just like the regular Marriott program." So given there isn't a lot of specific RC only traffic and most of the answers tend to be the same for both programs, my thoughts are that a sub-forum would be too much.

So to keep things simple a possible name for this forum might be "Marriott and Ritz Carlton Rewards".
Old May 11, 2012, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Alternatively, perhaps:

"Marriott Rewards (including Ritz-Carlton)"

Bruce
Old May 11, 2012, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by bdschobel
Your much smarter than I.
Old May 11, 2012, 6:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by bdschobel
Alternatively, perhaps:

Bruce
As a Marriott forum regular, that makes the most sense to me.

Your much smarter than I.
What he said!

BTW - hhoope01 did a good job summarizing the Marriott/RC situation, and I agree w/ him that there probably aren't enough RC threads to justify a sub-forum. So bdschobel's suggestion is a good one.

Cheers.
Old May 11, 2012, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

Great feedback everyone. Given that the Ritz-Carlton Rewards program is linked to Marriott, but still a completely separate rewards program, I think "Marriott Rewards (including Ritz-Carlton)" would not be a proper title and in fact insinuates that the Ritz-Carlton Rewards program is a subset of Marriott Rewards (which it is not).

The Ritz-Carlton Rewards program has entirely different point redemption level than Marriott Rewards and the Ritz-Carlton Hotel Company is a separate legal entity entirely.

My vote (for what it's worth): "Marriott Rewards & Ritz-Carlton Rewards"
Old May 11, 2012, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

or marriott / ritz carlton rewards

points are exactly the same, and benefits are pretty much the same

awards have always been possible, so thats not a change, and actually cost was increased

not sure how many people will start staying because of points earning

hotel discussion would really be best in luxury hotels forum, other than status recognition, and benefits via travel agent etc are better than status offerings
Old May 14, 2012, 12:57 pm

Programs: HH Silver

For what its worth, I think there is some merit the idea and definitely worth getting it infront of the TB for discussion.
Actually TB only handles forum creation or disolution and simple name changes can be handled by forum moderators and SanDiego1K as has been established in other recent name change requests on this board:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18238206-post9.html

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
please send a note to the forum mods and me. If they are in agreement, I am in agreement and will make the change.
Old May 14, 2012, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Let's see if we get more feedback, then I'll make a request.

Bruce
Old May 14, 2012, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

SanDiego1K said something similar in luxury hotels forum (i believe thread on changing description is still stickied) including saying that she would make the change (forum description) not TB

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jun 28, 2012 at 7:55 am
Old Jun 26, 2012, 3:10 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
or marriott / ritz carlton rewards

points are exactly the same, and benefits are pretty much the same

awards have always been possible, so thats not a change, and actually cost was increased

not sure how many people will start staying because of points earning

hotel discussion would really be best in luxury hotels forum, other than status recognition, and benefits via travel agent etc are better than status offerings
I like the Marriott/Ritz Carlton form of the title.

However, my argument to add RC to the forum name is to make clear that RC material now belongs under Marriott, not Luxury Hotels. AFAIK StRegis reviews are in SPG, not Luxury, Waldorf-Astoria in Hilton, Park Hyatt in Hyatt, although the comparison threads belong in Luxury.

Even if it will initially be small, it might make sense to have a sub forum for RC as it's easier to do this from the beginning than to sort it out later when the need becomes apparent.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
although the comparison threads belong in Luxury
lux hotels forum is always comparison...

if this wasnt discussing moderation, id comment further...
Old Jul 16, 2012, 9:47 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AAdvantage, United MP, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by BlakeTraveler

My vote (for what it's worth): "Marriott Rewards & Ritz-Carlton Rewards"
+1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.