Create Airlines of China forum

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Create Airlines of China forum

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2012, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by travelkid
I beg to differ. Personally I was skeptical to a new Korea forum, but I think I held back from airing any negativity, just to shoot down any creativity and participation. As it has developed, I believe Korea forum has been a success, and I have not seen any one claim anything else (except as obiter dictum in threads like this).

Its interesting that those who claim "ghost towns" and "wont succeed" dont see that relatively. Compare Korea to plenty of other destinations forum, and you will find Korea busier than many. At level with Texas, busier than Alaska etc.

If one only uses a subjective standard its easy to say Airlines of China forum wont succeed, as it wont meet that persons standards for quality anf quantity.
If the Korea forum is a success what would be the standard for failure? The fact that there are other forums which shouldnt exist doesnt somehow justify the desolate Korea forum (12 active threads in all of November)

Perhaps an Andorra forum is in order, another success in the making!
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:22 pm

Programs: various
Originally Posted by Taiwaned
@ OP

Now that the Talkboard elections are over, can we assume that the next round of elections, you will bring this topic up again as a possible election platform?

I still for the life of me cannot understand why who rarely gives any input in the China forum would be interested in creating a Chinese Airlines forum unless it is to leave his mark as a member of "board".

New forums are not like "build it and he will come" mentality. Yes China has a huge population, lots of airlines and the ridership are mostly Chinese. Therefore unless FT is willing to have a Chinese version, people who have vested interest in the China Airlines forum will be a relative few who use Chinese airlines regularly, member of their FFP, read ENGLISH and happen to enjoy our company on FT. - a select few indeed.

This is a classic case of politicians creating a "need" when there isn't one.
This was my thought also, hence my "what's the agenda" question in a way-upthread post. Seems to be a solution looking for a problem.

... personally I have more interest in a forum for Chinese FFPs than for a Chinese destination forum. The former is unique for FT, the latter- although good- is a copy of far better resources on other boards.
Ouch. I felt that slap in the face all the way across the miles. You have an interesting way of trying to Make Friends and Influence People. I presume that when you have a question on anything China (the destination not the FFP), you'll not favor FT with them, and will pose instead on these other boards. I will do my part and just give your posts a miss.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:40 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
Originally Posted by jiejie
This was my thought also, hence my "what's the agenda" question in a way-upthread post. Seems to be a solution looking for a problem.
As I have stated, my idea for a Chinese carriers forum goes long back, and I have also stated this earlier. I was afraid you hinted on some politicla agenda or something. But my (lack) of agenda outside the scope of improving FT should be clear from what I have stated and replied here.

Ouch. I felt that slap in the face all the way across the miles. You have an interesting way of trying to Make Friends and Influence People. I presume that when you have a question on anything China (the destination not the FFP), you'll not favor FT with them, and will pose instead on these other boards. I will do my part and just give your posts a miss.
Your posts have certainly stood out as great in China forum, and I have repeatedly stated China forum is good. One of the absolutely best detinations forums on FT from what I remember, so please dont misinterpret me. FT is a best on miles&points, but will never be best on destinations, OMNI issues or even hotel reviews. I repeatedly see TB members, mods etc state they utilize Tripadvisor, Lonely Planet etc. As well as sites in other languages. No slapping there. China forum would be my first place to look, but for certain issues- not only on China- I have often had the need to look elsewhere. Nothing wrong with that. Also depends on your travel style, interests etc. No offense. OTOH for most things related to miles&points FT would be THE place to look.

So I repeat, great work over at China forum^

This btw also leads me to believe that a new Chinese carriers can be a success as we see so manu dedicated, passionate and knowledegeable people on Chinese related subjects.

Last edited by travelkid; Nov 30, 2012 at 11:58 pm
Old Dec 1, 2012, 3:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

personally I have more interest in a forum for Chinese FFPs than for a Chinese destination forum.
I see potential for a new direction to this thread here. Whatever you want to know about Chinese FFPs, ask here. Hopefully this exercise will end up proving to you how little there is to be interested about.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 4:08 am

deleted (duplicate post)

Last edited by moondog; Dec 1, 2012 at 8:31 pm
Old Dec 1, 2012, 4:17 am

Hey, all. I just stumbled upon this:

"Sticky: Information for Airlines based in Taiwan ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page)"

Why not do the same for "Airlines based in the PRC" in order test the waters?
Old Dec 1, 2012, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by moondog
Hey, all. I just stumbled upon this:

"Sticky: Information for Airlines based in Taiwan ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page)"

Why not do the same for "Airlines based in the PRC" in order test the waters?
Last line of my post #28 upthread. A Sticky could have information on the FFP's (ha, that will be a short post), also deal with the ubiquitous fleet, aircraft, hard product, soft product questions on PRC airlines. And of course, that favorite Transit Without Visa topic, though the latter could just be a link to the thread on the China destination forum. I don't want to see the body of work developed on the destination forum to be split off and moved. When people are looking at China as a destination, they need to see all the critical information there since people often use it while they are still in planning and how-to mode.

Maybe a Sticky would consolidate some common info and "declutter" the OAASP forum a bit. That may take care of most needs for awhile, until need for a full-blown Airlines of China forum becomes apparent.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 9:10 am

Last line of my post #28 upthread. A Sticky could have information on the FFP's (ha, that will be a short post), also deal with the ubiquitous fleet, aircraft, hard product, soft product questions on PRC airlines.
Okay; i'm sold... you, me, and fox shall get things started... in the not too distant future we will figure out a way to charge IB for our awesome content

Last edited by moondog; Dec 3, 2012 at 5:14 am
Old Dec 2, 2012, 11:25 am

Okay; i'm sold... you, me, and fox shall get things started... in the not to distant future we will figure out a way to charge IB for our awesome content
I think before diving into this, we should wait for additional feedback and some sort of indication from TB about what they want to do. New Forum, New Sticky, Status Quo, or some other option.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 7:30 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
And of course, that favorite Transit Without Visa topic, though the latter could just be a link to the thread on the China destination forum. .
Probably could do a forum on China visa and transit without visa.
Seems getting permission to go, outweighs the journey and the destination.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 3:48 am

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
Last line of my post #28 upthread. A Sticky could have information on the FFP's (ha, that will be a short post), also deal with the ubiquitous fleet, aircraft, hard product, soft product questions on PRC airlines. And of course, that favorite Transit Without Visa topic, though the latter could just be a link to the thread on the China destination forum. I don't want to see the body of work developed on the destination forum to be split off and moved. When people are looking at China as a destination, they need to see all the critical information there since people often use it while they are still in planning and how-to mode.

Maybe a Sticky would consolidate some common info and "declutter" the OAASP forum a bit. That may take care of most needs for awhile, until need for a full-blown Airlines of China forum becomes apparent.
Sanity at last.

This will keep information in one area. Also would allow the powers in charge to truly calculate need / interest.

I still feel that the Chinese FFP thread should be consolidated to one suggestion. "Don't collect Chinese Airlines FFP" - that would solve most people's problems.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 5:21 am

Originally Posted by Taiwaned

I still feel that the Chinese FFP thread should be consolidated to one suggestion. "Don't collect Chinese Airlines FFP" - that would solve most people's problems.
Yeah, it really is that simple.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 8:51 am

Programs: Skyteam
Originally Posted by FLLDL
If the Korea forum is a success what would be the standard for failure? The fact that there are other forums which shouldnt exist doesnt somehow justify the desolate Korea forum (12 active threads in all of November)

Perhaps an Andorra forum is in order, another success in the making!
Sorry for the off topic.

The forum just started in September and people are still learning that Korea forum was separated from Asia. Are you saying Singapore shouldn't exist because it had less than Korea and it's been around few years longer? And where the heck is Andorra? If you bring it up to vote, I will support the Andorra if you are so bitter about Andorra not being up there.

Last edited by skchin; Dec 3, 2012 at 9:01 am
Old Dec 5, 2012, 3:23 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
Okay; i'm sold... you, me, and fox shall get things started... in the not too distant future we will figure out a way to charge IB for our awesome content
I think before diving into this, we should wait for additional feedback and some sort of indication from TB about what they want to do. New Forum, New Sticky, Status Quo, or some other option.
^ I think if we already have volunteers, before even looking for them- thats a good start. Whether it be in form of a sticky in Other Asian, or in a new variant of Chinese carriers.

Still however, based on the numbers provided, and the huge potential I maintain that the right thing to do is open a seperate forum. Even a sticky wont help all those posters posting around their regular forums about Chinese carriers.

It seems that if we are going to use the level for failure Im reading into many of the opponents for the proposal, then it would possibly lead to the death of at least dozens other forums as well.

Its also interesting to hear the new and recent counterargument that one should listen more to certain posters, namely those already in the forums (Other Asian/China), yet the main bearer of this argument and opposition to the proposal have almost not been present himself in the present forums. (a couple of the most vocal opponents have a grand total of 1 post in Other Asian over the last few years)

Not only the counterargument that lots of the relevant traffic doesnt have enough quality, but we also need to look at the individual quality of the posters. Huge work for poor TB IMO all posters are equal.
People come and people go. We cant make strategic decisions based on a few individuals. Hopefully such a new forum wont hurt anyones feelings, leading anyone to refuse contributing?
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:10 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I've brought this up for discussion in the private TB forum.

In looking at the thread & counting FTers yes/nos/maybes one time (even if they posted multiple times), it seems those that responded are about evenly divided amongst yes/nos, with a few maybes. Including/excluding Taiwan in the same forum has mixed responses based on political/practical reasons. There is a suggestion for a sticky instead.

Speaking only for myself I'm neutral on it, but I'm leaning against & think the sticky idea might be the way to go on this one if anything needs to be changed.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.