FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TalkBoard Topics (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkboard-topics-382/)
-   -   Requirements for Coupon Codes? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkboard-topics/1408148-requirements-coupon-codes.html)

Guy Betsy Nov 16, 2012 5:38 am

Requirements for Coupon Codes?

What's with all these 'newbies' with ONE post asking for discount codes and we never hear from them again? Can we suggest discount code threads be like Coupon Connection and have a minimum post count before anyone can view the thread?

Lomapaseo Nov 16, 2012 10:46 am

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy (Post 19693702)
What's with all these 'newbies' with ONE post asking for discount codes and we never hear from them again? Can we suggest discount code threads be like Coupon Connection and have a minimum post count before anyone can view the thread?

I like rules ..... but convince me of the need

RogerD408 Nov 16, 2012 12:02 pm

If I wasn't leaving Hilton, I'd offer to maintain a post #1 with known codes and then forget about the posts asking for a code.

lin821 Nov 16, 2012 8:39 pm

IIRC, IB has stated (view) restriction can only be applied by forums, not by individual threads. If that's the case, unless you are asking TB to consider a Coupon Codes Forum, there's no way to impose such restriction on viewers. I think catering a Coupon Codes Forum for those one post/shot wonders is simply unnecessary.

IMHO, those one-post coupon code beggers are just like spammers. They are takers and leave when mission accomplished. I doubt they would even bother to post their thank-you notes. It might be easier for MODs to treat them like spammers and remove their posts and/or threads. And for regular FTers like me, we can just ignore those "requests."

For codes flowing or sharing in CC, we've already established 180/180 rule. So no worries there.

SkiAdcock Nov 17, 2012 8:16 am

Originally Posted by lin821 (Post 19698163)
IIRC, IB has stated (view) restriction can only be applied by forums, not by individual threads. If that's the case, unless you are asking TB to consider a Coupon Codes Forum, there's no way to impose such restriction on viewers. I think catering a Coupon Codes Forum for those one post/shot wonders is simply unnecessary.

IMHO, those one-post coupon code beggers are just like spammers. They are takers and leave when mission accomplished. I doubt they would even bother to post their thank-you notes. It might be easier for MODs to treat them like spammers and remove their posts and/or threads. And for regular FTers like me, we can just ignore those "requests."

For codes flowing or sharing in CC, we've already established 180/180 rule. So no worries there.

This (especially the part about the thread, but overall the entire post), although I don't see the need for a mod to treat someone asking for a code like a spammer/remove the post. Most FTers will ignore the request, and sometimes someone does have or finds a code (doesn't need to be a corp one) that can be helpful to the 1-time poster asking.

In the Marriott forum we have a sticky of publicly available codes that anyone can use.

Re: corporate codes, the irony is that unless someone actually works for the company they're not allowed to use it (up to each person's ethics on whether to do so), so if it were me I wouldn't be pointing fingers or complaining about 1-time posters asking for codes. I'd keep the head down & hope that the hotel or car rental, etc, chain doesn't finally notice & ask that the thread(s) be deleted entirely ;)

Cheers. Sharon

wharvey Nov 17, 2012 10:09 am

We have many people who come to FT and ask a question... and never show up again. Why single out "code" requesters here? Is this really that much of a problem? I rarely even notice it.... not a bother to me.

hhoope01 Nov 17, 2012 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock (Post 19700053)
In the Marriott forum we have a sticky of publicly available codes that anyone can use.

I'd keep the head down & hope that the hotel or car rental, etc, chain doesn't finally notice & ask that the thread(s) be deleted entirely ;)

Actually, I think the thread you mention in the Marriott forum works fairly well for what the OP may really want.

First, provides a single thread where the codes can be listed and maintained. Second, any requests for codes or questions about them can easily be moved into that thread. Third, it doesn't really matter if it is a seasoned FT vet or new single post member, they have a place to look and it won't "clutter" the rest of the forum or some other forum.

And just a historical note on the Marriott forum, the publicly available codes thread you mention is actually the 2nd such thread. Due to the proliferation of corporate codes listed in the original one, Marriott asked that those codes be removed as they were private.

SkiAdcock Nov 17, 2012 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by wharvey (Post 19700551)
We have many people who come to FT and ask a question... and never show up again. Why single out "code" requesters here?

Good point.

Cheers. Sharon