Search

"Scams" forum?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2012, 1:54 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
"Scams" forum?

After reading a current thread on a travel discount scam, I am wondering whether a central forum on scams makes sense.

The benefit would be that members who suspect a scam would merely have to search a relatively small forum or make a post (if it's a new scam) to find out what other FTers think. We can unmask the scammers faster than any organization on the Internet.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 7:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
Sounds like a great idea. I would like to start a forum such as this, but unfortunately I am currently out of the country. I will wire you $10,000 to set up this forum for me. You just need to send me $1000 by Western Union to cover the costs of the wire transfer.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 12:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Sorry but despite the good intentions I can't see it being workable as there would be obvious duplication with each FFP own forum and this proposed one.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 4:41 am
Suspended

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
Like the thinking. Dual threads already exists on some issues.

But at least it could have links to the different threads/forums.

When I read the thread title here I though you meant FFs scamming the programs But thats maybe the rest of FT then- in the big scheme
Old Nov 8, 2012, 6:44 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I would be concerned that posts in a separate scam forum wouldn't be seen by many of those who use particular programs and visit those fora regularly. IMO it would seem better to post about a fake email supposedly from AA in the AA forum, a "promo" for Hilton rooms that has huge service and booking fees in the Hilton family hotels forum, etc. Other scams are discussed in the online travel agency forum regularly.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 8:04 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by DeaconFlyer
Sounds like a great idea. I would like to start a forum such as this, but unfortunately I am currently out of the country. I will wire you $10,000 to set up this forum for me. You just need to send me $1000 by Western Union to cover the costs of the wire transfer.

On a more serious note, I tend to agree w/ tcook052 and MSPEconomist.

Cheers.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 8:10 am

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
I agree with MSPeconomist. If I receive a scam email from Delta, I'm going to head to the Delta forum to see if there's information there.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:26 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by tcook052
Sorry but despite the good intentions I can't see it being workable as there would be obvious duplication with each FFP own forum and this proposed one.
Originally Posted by kipper
I agree with MSPeconomist. If I receive a scam email from Delta, I'm going to head to the Delta forum to see if there's information there.
I agree on both points (good intention and duplication) and with that, perhaps a sticky in each forum? Yeah I know another sticky but in this case there would be a central location in each forum as I'll put up two hockey pucks that there would be many duplicate "scam threads" posted in the various forums and thus there would be a catch all location for the moderators to place the threads and for folks to view them
Old Nov 8, 2012, 8:48 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by goalie
Yeah I know another sticky
Less is more.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:29 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by goalie
Yeah I know another sticky
Less is more.
Most of the times yes and sometimes yes but sometimes not always . I just see more work if there are multiple threads being merged into one vs having the catch already in place (and no offense to the moderators , but the can't catch then all)
Old Nov 13, 2012, 3:07 pm

Programs: AA ExP
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I would be concerned that posts in a separate scam forum wouldn't be seen by many of those who use particular programs and visit those fora regularly. IMO it would seem better to post about a fake email supposedly from AA in the AA forum, a "promo" for Hilton rooms that has huge service and booking fees in the Hilton family hotels forum, etc. Other scams are discussed in the online travel agency forum regularly.
Exactly. In the course of regular reading, who wants to follow the "Scams" forum? However, heavy users of a particular program read their program's forum for the very occasional heads-up about a scam.

OTOH, if I'm looking up whether something is legit or a spam, the first place I'll turn to is Google. Also, I've noticed that a number of the scam threads on FT have a lot of first time posters posting which indicates that they came in via Google and registered to add to the chorus that it's a scam. So if folks are coming via Google anyway, having a separate forum will just serve to further isolate folks from discovering all the great content FT has to offer.

Just MHO.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 4:07 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by HansGolden
Exactly. In the course of regular reading, who wants to follow the "Scams" forum? However, heavy users of a particular program read their program's forum for the very occasional heads-up about a scam.

OTOH, if I'm looking up whether something is legit or a spam, the first place I'll turn to is Google. Also, I've noticed that a number of the scam threads on FT have a lot of first time posters posting which indicates that they came in via Google and registered to add to the chorus that it's a scam. So if folks are coming via Google anyway, having a separate forum will just serve to further isolate folks from discovering all the great content FT has to offer.

Just MHO.
Very well explained. I'm convinced.

Thank you HansGolden, and thanks to all who posted in this thread!
Old Nov 14, 2012, 6:09 pm
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
Let's not get sidetracked with the election. If someone has a comment about the OP's topic, it makes little difference if the poster is running for office or part of the proletariat.

If you are running and make comments, the fact your profile recognizes you as a candidate, could lead one to believe you are making a platform statement. There is no need to electioneer per se.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.