TB 2012 elections?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TB 2012 elections?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2012, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
It should have happened a few hours ago. Try it. Should it not be closed, let me know.
Whilst the "post reply" and "quote" buttons are still active, the forum is indeed restricting me from posting if I try now.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 5:17 pm
Community Director Emerita

Thanks, evanderm.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 5:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by wharvey
I just voted for three candidates.... I wish them the best.

Now... go and sign up for Secret Santa 2012!
I agree that everyone should sign up for Secret Santa 2012!
Originally Posted by RichMSN
Have never done the Secret Santa thing -- I'll go check it out.
You should sign up for it. It's typically great fun!
Old Nov 13, 2012, 5:33 pm

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
It should have happened a few hours ago. Try it. Should it not be closed, let me know.
Can you please explain why you are not allowing direct questions from Flyertalkers to the candidates, and direct dialogue, at least here in the TalkBoard topics forum and at least in one thread?

Thanks.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by Football Fan
Can you please explain why you are not allowing direct questions from Flyertalkers to the candidates, and direct dialogue, at least here in the TalkBoard topics forum and at least in one thread?

Thanks.
I don't know how many questions SanDiego1K received, but I gather since she was asking for more, not many people even used the channel available to them for asking questions. Let's face it, if they were already in the TB forum and wanted to ask a question, sending a PM is just as easy as opening a new thread.

Although, I do think it'd be more interesting to have an open debate going too.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 5:45 pm

Programs: AA ExP
Originally Posted by RichMSN
But right now, campaigning is not allowed here and I think a candidate saying that the "TB needs to take a wider purview" is certainly campaigning -- at least that's how I see it.
If SanDiego1K or a majority of TB feels that way, I welcome y'all to edit my post. I would also ask that the next TB updates the TB Guidelines to say that expressing opinions in the TB forum is prohibited by TB candidates during the election.

I understood campaigning to mean going into the United forum and saying, "Please vote for me."
Old Nov 13, 2012, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
I love voting for TB because it's about the only time I can have an avatar here, if only for a few weeks. Other than that I couldn't care less about TB or what they do.

Kidding!

Good luck everyone!

Originally Posted by evanderm
I'm more shocked to not see the "I Voted" avatar next to everyone's name in this thread yet, and indeed even some of the active candidates
Maybe some candidates are undecided about themselves.

Originally Posted by evanderm
I Agree, but my signature couldn't hold the link promoting SecretSanta2012 any more and choices had to be made. Once the election is over I'll revert and try to get some more people in.
Maybe that's something the new TB can address. It bugs me that the character limits in our sigs include the HTML, so I can't have a link to my Twitter, FlightMemory, WaffleHouseMemory, etc. I think a limit to two lines of text is fine, but even using TinyURLs I run out of allowed characters.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 6:22 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by wharvey
I just voted for three candidates.... I wish them the best.

Now... go and sign up for Secret Santa 2012!
I just signed up for the Secret Santa for the first time!

Originally Posted by N965VJ
Maybe some candidates are undecided about themselves.
N965VJ, I was trying to remember the handle for the last person I was going to vote for. It was Delta something. I think it was an airplane type. Maybe one with 4 engines?

Good luck to all!

Delta747
Old Nov 13, 2012, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by Football Fan
I ran the election according to the rules set forth by Talkboard. As a member of that board at that time, you might have more insight into the guidelines than me.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...-election.html
Old Nov 13, 2012, 8:00 pm

Programs: AA ExP
I ran the election according to the rules set forth by Talkboard. As a member of that board at that time, you might have more insight into the guidelines than me.

Bazzzzing!!
Old Nov 13, 2012, 8:56 pm

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres

These were explicitly for the 2006 election (and I did not vote in favor of these rules).

Can I take from your wording above that you would be willing to run the next election according to rules set forth by the next Talkboard?

Also, it is not clear that you used the suggestions (not rules) from that motion 1:1.

E.g., that motion said:

3. That signatures concerning the election or candidates be allowed as long as they otherwise abide by the TOS regarding size, color, etc..
This meant a right to do this for all posters, not just for candidates (and I remember many posters doing it back then, which produced more attention), which does not appear to be allowed this time around. If it is, please confirm and clarify, as your post sounded to me like it was only allowed for the candidates themselves to put this in their signature.

I did also not see you announce this to the public:

4.That no candidate will have disciplinary action taken against them by any other candidate who is an active moderator.
People who have been here long enough know that this was made part of the motion because it actually happened in the election before the one where this motion was made.

If you link to that motion, then why omit that part in your post below? Can you confirm that this is the case this time around as well?

Once the nominating period has closed, all candidates will get a message from me explaining what's next. I will be posing questions to the candidates in this forum:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...ions-2012-717/

The forum is closed to posting by anyone but the candidates and me, and the candidates only respond to questions I pose. (I know, it's very bland, no marching bands, cheerleaders, or pom pom girls.)

No electioneering is allowed. Signatures that link to the candidate's campaign profile are. Members get to know the candidates by reading their responses in the forum I've linked above and by searching thru FlyerTalk on their posts.

I'm currently collecting questions and can use more. Everyone can submit questions including current candidates. Send to [email protected].
Old Nov 13, 2012, 9:10 pm

You're the one who showed lack of awareness your board's rules, not me. Let's not make this about me.

All candidates were sent an email from me reminding each of you of the Talkboard guidelines.

And yes, I cautioned the moderators before the period for candidates to self nominate that they were to take no disciplinary action against candidates during this period.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 9:17 pm

You're the one who showed lack of awareness your board's rules, not me. Let's not make this about me.
How is it making this about you to ask for a clarification - allow me to repeat the question:

Can other posters (not candidates) endorse candidates in their signatures?

All candidates were sent an email from me reminding each of you of the Talkboard guidelines.
Thanks, this is correct - I went back and searched for it. I didn't see it before. Must have accidentally archived it on my mobile before reading it. My mistake. However, the e-mail doesn't answer my question for clarification above.

And yes, I cautioned the moderators before the period for candidates to self nominate that they were to take no disciplinary action against candidates during this period.
Thanks for this clarification. ^
Old Nov 14, 2012, 1:26 am
Suspended

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
Originally Posted by HansGolden
If SanDiego1K or a majority of TB feels that way, I welcome y'all to edit my post. I would also ask that the next TB updates the TB Guidelines to say that expressing opinions in the TB forum is prohibited by TB candidates during the election.

I understood campaigning to mean going into the United forum and saying, "Please vote for me."
Its all about defining campaigning. Lets use a teleologigcal viewpoint here, and its obvious that not letting candidates participate in REGULAR TB topics discussion is counterproductive, and can not be meant to be forbidden.

Im from the same planet as HansG

The mentioned mail from CD also included a line that mods should NOT take action in the TB discussion forum. This happened (at least) twice.

Anyway to conclude this, to clarify electioneering could be a start for the new TB (although it falls in the category of bureacracy not especially interesting for the members).
Old Nov 14, 2012, 2:18 am

Originally Posted by Delta747
N965VJ, I was trying to remember the handle for the last person I was going to vote for. It was Delta something. I think it was an airplane type. Maybe one with 4 engines?

Good luck to all!
Delta doesn't have any A340s or A380s (unless you count codeshares, which let's face it; you don't). Or do you count the APU as a separate Engine? DL got rid of their Tri-Stars, MD-11s, DC10s and 727s. Hmmm.... what other current aircraft in the DL fleet could possibly have 4 engines?

nope, can't think of it. Sorry, guess I'll have to vote for myself then

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.