Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Avianca/Taca Lifemiles Forum

Avianca/Taca Lifemiles Forum

Old Jun 22, 2012, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
Post Avianca/Taca Lifemiles Forum

After my experience with the Spirit, I will look to others to lobby for a new forum for Lifemiles. The Tacca/Avianca life miles program brings about the Best of both the US Airways & BMI programs, making it possibly the best program in Star alliance.

For this reason, I predict many Flyertalkers will consider making Lifemiles their main earning program and those of us whom travel throughout the Americas will consider using Avianca/Taca due to its strong route structure and (much like US Airways) unlimited international upgrades.

The ability to use Cash & Miles (think BMI) make this a very attractive program for those forced to leave the BMI program and are leery of BA.

Therefore if this program deemed worthy of its own forum, being that it is by far the dominate carrier group in Latin & SOuth America in Star. I ask other Flyertalk members to spur the effort further the formation of it's new forum.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
Post Proposal: Create a Avianca/Taca Lifemiles Forum

Proposal Create a Avianca/Taca Lifemiles Forum

With the merger of TAM & LAN and the exit of TAM from the Star Alliance, Avianca/Taca will be the main (along with Copa) Latin/South American network for Star fliers. There is now great interest in the Lifemiles program and with Avianca/Taca in particular. Both airlines have an extensive network throughout the Americas and Avianca flies to Europe as well. Below are some bullet points to why Avianca/Taca Lifemiles should be considered by the Flyertalk Board for its own forum:

1. There will be significant activity in its forum based on the recent topic I have posed on June 21, 2012. Since this time http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...gram-star.html has generated at total of 3,360 views.

2. After the exit of TAM for Star Alliance, Avianca/Taca will be the largest network in Latin/South America.

3. The Lifemiles Program is a hybrid of BMI and US Airways. There is the option to buy miles, one-way awards, unlimited upgrades for elites, award miles+cash option, award miles earning option, non-expiration of miles, etc.

4. My prediction is that the Lifemiles program will be the program of choice for BMI program participants, once fully integrated to Avois.

5. The amount of Lifemiles activity in the coming months and years will overwhelm the North/South America forum.

6. The Lifemiles forum would be of great benefit for the Flyertalker community and is the logical progression for this new program and key strategic Star Alliance member.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 2:23 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Thank you for adding the well thought out points; we have added your new post to the original thread you began last month.

JDiver, Moderator

As a reminder to those unfamiliar with the Forum as to why the bulleted points:

The following are qualitative criteria that the TalkBoard believes are useful to consider when evaluating proposals to create, close, split, or move forums. Whenever a forum change is discussed on the TalkBoard Topics, the TalkBoard encourages posters to fully address these criteria in addition to any other reasons supporting or opposing the change.

1. Will the forum be (or is it now) beneficial to FlyerTalk?

2. Will the new forum benefit a relationship with FlyerTalk? E.g., does the forum provide value for FT members, such as a friendly ear highly placed in the company

3. Is FT the best place to discuss this subject?

4. Is there a passionate following? This is essential in order to provide dedicated expert helpers to get questions answered.

5. Is a critical mass of posts and readers anticipated or existing? We need adequate traffic to keep everyone visiting frequently. One living forum is more valuable than two mostly dead ones.

6. Is this the best place on FlyerTalk for this subject? This is the classification issue. The answer depends primarily on achieving and maintaining critical mass. It also depends on whether or where the discussion might (or does) occur in the absence of the forum.

7. For proposals to split a forum, is the split expected to improve the signal to noise ratio? Why?

[Mod hat off] Would not LATAM become the largest network in Latin and South America?
Old Jul 9, 2012, 2:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
FWIW I really support this for what will become a dominant and important player in an important region. I predict a slow start, but I think its wise if TB continues the crystal ball path , and not wait until all the info is scattered all around- and FT have lost again lots of potential readers/posters.

Actually I do think this could be a good invite to more of the latin flying world.

Last edited by travelkid; Jul 10, 2012 at 12:51 am
Old Jul 9, 2012, 4:56 pm
Original Poster

[Mod hat off] Would not LATAM become the largest network in Latin and South America?[/QUOTE]

Well if one considers all of Central America and Taca/Avianca's departure points in the US, it is a good question. Both Taca/Avianca go to MCO, MIA, IAD, LAX, SFO, YYZ, JFK (Lacsa) etc: with Avianca going to FLL & Taca going to ORD.

On a side note, they have the most special food options I've ever seen.

http://www.avianca.com/ViajaConNosot...Especiales.htm

Last edited by gkbiiii; Jul 10, 2012 at 3:45 pm
Old Jul 9, 2012, 9:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by travelkid
FWIW I really support this for what will become a dominat and important player in an important region. I predict a slow start, but I think its wise if TB continues the crystal ball path , and not wait until all the info is scattered all around- and FT have lost again lots of potential readers/posters.

Actually I do think this could be a good invite to more of the latin flying world.
I completely agree. ^

Avianca-TACA recently became an Air Canada Aeroplan partner so this gets gets a ^ from me.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 11:01 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by tcook052
I completely agree. ^

Avianca-TACA recently became an Air Canada Aeroplan partner so this gets gets a ^ from me.
Nicely done gkbiiii ^ and this gets my support as well
Old Jul 10, 2012, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by goalie
Nicely done gkbiiii ^ and this gets my support as well
Yea thanks, there should be a real need here. I did not realize that the combined network was so large. Taca has it's main hub in San Salvador (LACASA in San Jose) as well as Avianca in Bogata and their is a key hub for both in Lima. Peru is really a good location for a hub being that it is centrally located for all of the South American continent.

On a side note, you can fly Avianca/Taca from the US (MIA) directly to Lima, then to Southern South America. Thus vianca/Taca have two South American hubs, BOG & LIM, which both connect with SAL. Even with TAM leaving Star, you have TAP which goes throughout Brazil and Avianca/Taca that do the same from Latin America. Really the whole map is covered, in a better way than LAM/TAM.

Last edited by gkbiiii; Jul 11, 2012 at 4:43 pm
Old Jul 11, 2012, 4:59 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
For everyone's reference (from Wikipedia)

"TACA is the trade name "brand" comprising a group of five independently IATA-coded and -owned Central American airlines, whose operations are combined to function as one and a number of other independently owned and IATA-coded regional airlines which code-share and feed the TACA brand system. TACA, originally an acronym of Transportes Aéreos Centroamericanos (Central American Air Transport), now stands for Transportes Aéreos del Continente Americano (Air Transport of the American Continent), reflecting its expansion to North, Central, South America and the Caribbean. Out of the Skytrax's 5 star ranking, Taca has an official 3 star ranking.

The airlines that make up TACA are:
  • TACA International Airlines (El Salvador)
  • Aviateca (Guatemala)
  • Regional - Formerly Inter, it operates under Aviateca's code.
  • Lacsa (LR) (Costa Rica)
  • Isleńa Airlines (Honduras)
  • Nicaragüense de Aviación (Nicaragua)
  • TACA Perú (Peru)
TACA's regional airlines system which includes the following airlines:
  • Aeroperlas
  • Regional
  • Islena Airlines
  • La Costeńa
  • SANSA
TACA has three flight hubs or "Centros de Conexiones"
  • TACA hub at Comalapa International Airport in San Salvador, El Salvador
  • TACA Perú hub at Jorge Chávez International Airport in Lima, Peru
  • LACSA hub at Juan Santamaría International Airport in San José, Costa Rica
TACA's headquarters are in San Salvador, El Salvador.

Fleet:
Code:
Aircraft	In Service	Orders	Options	
C	Y	Total
Airbus A319-100	11	2	—	 	
Airbus A320-200	18	24	—	 	
Airbus A320neo   	—	33	—	 
Airbus A321-200	5	—	—	 
Airbus A330-200	—	2	—	
TBA
Embraer 190	12	1	15	8	88	96	
Total	        46	62	15

AVIANCA (taken over by TACA - both airlines' fleets could be considered one, brands will remain separate for the moment)

Avianca current fleet

Code:
Aircraft    In Fleet	Orders	Options	
Fokker 50	9	—	—	-
Airbus A318-100	10	—	—	12		
Airbus A319-100	12	7	14	12	
Airbus A320-200	27	14	34	12		
Airbus A320neo	—       33       TBA
Airbus A330-200	8	2	10	30	
Airbus A350-900	—	10	10	TBA 
Boeing 787-859	—	12	8	TBA

Avianca Cargo Fleet
Airbus A330-200F	—	4	—	Cargo	
Boeing 767-200F	4	—	—	Cargo	
Boeing 767-300F	1	—	—	Cargo	
Total	                69	83
Competitors:

Gol Transportes Aéreos

Code:
GOL and VARIG Fleets Combined
Aircraft	Total	Orders	
Boeing 737-700	43	
Boeing 737-800	80	108	
Total	        123	108
LATAM Airlines Group is a Brazilian-Chilean airline group formed by the merger of LAN Airlines and TAM Airlines. The two airlines plan to continue flying with separate brands in the short term, but expect substantial synergies from merging their operations. The merger closed on June 22, 2012 with TAM shareholders agreeing to the takeover by LAN.

Code:
LATAM Airlines Fleet
Aircraft	Total	Orders	 
Airbus A318-100	15	0	 
Airbus A319-100	46	30	 
Airbus A320-200	102	76	 
Airbus A321-200	8	20	 
Airbus A330-200	20	2	 
Airbus A340-300	5	0	 
Airbus A350-800	0	10	
Airbus A350-900	0	17	
Boeing 767-300ER	38	7	 
Boeing 777-300ER	4	4	 
Boeing 787-8	0	22	 
Boeing 787-9	0	10	
Cargo
Boeing 767-300ERF	9	1	Cargo
Boeing 777F	2	1	        Cargo
Total	        241	198

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 11, 2012 at 5:24 pm
Old Jul 13, 2012, 9:53 am
Original Poster

So from here, how do we get the voting started?
Old Jul 13, 2012, 10:54 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by gkbiiii
It's been outlined in TalkBoard Guidelines ( see SECTION 4: GENERAL OPERATION, VOTING AND PUBLIC NOTICE PROCEDURES for details).

FWIW, voting only starts when motions are made and announced.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 4:12 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club RIP,BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by lin821
It's been outlined in TalkBoard Guidelines ( see SECTION 4: GENERAL OPERATION, VOTING AND PUBLIC NOTICE PROCEDURES for details).

FWIW, voting only starts when motions are made and announced.
Yes well I've looked at that mine of information useful/useless as one may decide but what do we actually do? Is there a FAQ for the less procedurally minded?
Old Jul 13, 2012, 4:44 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by YorkieFlyer
Yes well I've looked at that mine of information useful/useless as one may decide but what do we actually do? Is there a FAQ for the less procedurally minded?
If TB decides to make a motion for the creation of the forum (which hasn't been done yet), there will be a 2-week period in which TB members have to vote on the motion. If/when a motion is done & the voting period commences, a public announcement is made across all FT forums letting FTers know what is being voted on & asking for input, pro/con, etc, during that 2-week period.

This is true of all motions/votes, btw, & not just this one. Hope that helps clarify it for you.

Cheers.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 3:20 pm
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by gkbiiii
Well...

To get the LANPASS forum I had to send a PM to SkiAdcock telling her that her hair looks pretty, and Jackal was bought for a US$10 Starbucks voucher.

Seriously though Talkboard, asking whether FlyerTalk is is the right place to discuss LifeMiles is akin to asking whether a Chinese take-out will remedy one's hunger.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 3:26 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
Well...

To get the LANPASS forum I had to send a PM to SkiAdcock telling her that her hair looks pretty, and Jackal was bought for a US$10 Starbucks voucher.

Seriously though Talkboard, asking whether FlyerTalk is is the right place to discuss LifeMiles is akin to asking whether a Chinese take-out will remedy one's hunger.
Well my hair does look pretty

I've brought this up for consideration in the private TB forum, and PM'd earlier the OP that I had done so.

Cheers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.