Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Does FT "attitude" drive newbies to blogs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does FT "attitude" drive newbies to blogs?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2012, 7:55 pm

But blogs are unlikely to be useful about topics like the best seat on the aircraft, so them stealing our readership here isn't really much to worry about.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 8:12 pm

I do completely agree about the negative attitude towards newbies. IMO it's not a "misunderstanding" of language, nor is it directed just at newbies who don't do their "homework." FT could be a lot better if everyone was kinder.

Perhaps one of the things lacking is "thank you's" are frowned on as it's "assumed" and there are no reps. It seems like the niceness that makes for a great forum should be included in FT.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 8:46 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
this topic contains "anti-FT" sentiment - that always goes in this forum, unless ive missed something
So is the purpose of this thread just to have a discussion about what is wrong with FT without asking for the Talk Board to do anything? Have you seen one single person in a position of authority in this thread indicate any changes will come about because of all the venting here?
Old Aug 26, 2012, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by Tiki
One way to avoid having newbies defect to blogs is to prevent bloggers from advertising their blog in their siggies. Why is FT giving them free advertising?
We actually have an existing thread on that very topic if you'd like to contribute to it. It was started back in April and has 173 posts so far. If you read through it you'll find that Talk Board members are receiving very few complaints on that topic (one received one complaint, and a second none, and others just haven't posted publicly).
Can the TB revisit the Commercial links in Signatures issue?
Old Aug 26, 2012, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by wise2u
FT tends to turn newbees off because it is massive, full of cryptic acronyms and terminology, and requires an effort to read, read and read some more before you can begin to know what info to search out....
You know, people seem to complain about acronyms on FT a lot. I'm seriously trying to understand which ones are hard. The airport codes? The airline codes? YQ surcharge? ALL of these are Googleable. FT even has an airport code look up. People choose not to Google. We actually have a glossary here too. And the stickied threads will almost always explain the acronyms if you can't figure them out from context. Like the Welcome thread in the MR forum tells you what YQ and cpm are.

So which acronyms are people having trouble with? I suggest that a new thread is started to see how many acronyms newbies come up with that are NOT Googleable or searchable on FT. If there are less than ten or twenty, as I suspect they are, can we agree once and for all that FT is not difficult to understand if you are willing to put in time? This is NOT a complicated technical forum like doom9 or hydrogenaudio.

The trick it thread doesn't count because it is meant to be obscure, even for veteran FTers.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 9:12 pm

Well Tom911....

We're Newbies which means:

1. We don't know what talk board is - we're new and don't plan on being around long.
2. If we have heard of talk board we wouldn't do a search for it to find out how to ask them to "do something" - we don't do our research.
3. We most definitely wouldn't read up on talk board. As many other older FT members have pointed out - we don't read back more than two posts.

In case you missed the humor as most senior members are convinced that newbies don't understand "tone" in posts... this was in jest so no need to point me in the right direction.

The reason I'm posting here.... it's nice to know I'm not the only person that feels ostracized for being new.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 9:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by KM123
Perhaps one of the things lacking is "thank you's" are frowned on as it's "assumed" and there are no reps. It seems like the niceness that makes for a great forum should be included in FT.
I hear what you're saying and nothing wrong with encouraging more positive posts but in some threads in some forums a balance has to be struck between usefulness and friendliness as many threads wouldn't function as well as they do if dozens of readers all added their 'thank you' posts.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by tcook052
I hear what you're saying and nothing wrong with encouraging more positive posts but in some threads in some forums a balance has to be struck between usefulness and friendliness as many threads wouldn't function as well as they do if dozens of readers all added their 'thank you' posts.
Proof? Milepoint.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 12:03 am

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by belfordrocks
Proof? Milepoint.
I thought we were talking about FT?
Old Aug 27, 2012, 12:25 am

Originally Posted by KM123
The reason I'm posting here.... it's nice to know I'm not the only person that feels ostracized for being new.
You shouldn't feel that way. If you're being taken to task in any of the forums you participate in, and there's a violation of the terms of service, whether you're a new member or an old member, the moderators should deal with it. We're not allowed to discuss moderators or moderation here, though, so it's really hard to offer additional comments without having them deleted or getting myself banned.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 2:14 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by lo2e
Originally Posted by Tiki
Personally, I hate rudeness and snarkiness and think the mods should take action when people post in a rude or demeaning manner.
While I don't necessarily disagree with you, as I tell my wife when we send text messages back and forth, it is nearly impossible to look at printed words and determine with 100% accuracy the tone or relative "snarkiness" of what is written. What one determines as rude or snarky COULD have not meant to be so by the poster. If I were in a position to judge whether a post is rude or snarky, most times I would probably give the benefit of the doubt to the poster to clarify themselves before taking action.

IMO the rules are written in a way that just about everyone one would be able to tell what is an overly rude or offensive post (and of course it is ultimately up to our highly-trained moderation staff to use their personal judgment to determine what is or isn't rude/offensive), but one that might just be a bit snarky or potentially rude is a bit more gray area IMO.
(bolding mind)

I can't agree with you more, lo2e!

Not everyone is a wordsmith. Intent and words are easily misinterpreted in the virtual world. It doesn't help when some people are "sensitive" to words and some fail to understand and/or see the humor, let it be dry or not.

In a way FT mimics the real world. You encounter every possible type of persons: some polite, some funny, some stiff, some cynical, some shy, some fragile, some lunatic, some argumentative, some straight-forward, some easily-irritated and some socially awkward. FTers have to learn to read, both people and posts, just like in the real world.

It gets more complicated when FTers are communicating in a second, third, or even fourth language in English on FT. Imagine how much can be "lost in translation."

There's no way to relegate human nature online or offline, at least not in a free and real world.

Originally Posted by MissJoeyDFW
CodeAdam it happens, I see it happen on a regular basis, it has happened to me recently even though I have been around for 5+ years. I posted a question and got two responses (more feedback would have been helpful) because I am not part of the "in crowd" on a particular posting board. I lurked for 2-3 years before I was brave enough to put up a posting name and jump out there. By that time I had a pretty good idea flow of various forums. FT is the toughest posting forums I have ever been a regular poster on. People can be helpful but they can also be rude, condescending, exclusionary, know-it-all, have an attitude their way is the only way or everyone should have the same beliefs they do. In some ways I am still feel like I am a newbie because I don't have posting numbers in the 10s of thousands and probably never will.

You can't be thin skinned if you want to post on FT.
Originally Posted by MissJoeyDFW
Originally Posted by belfordrocks
I think that has to do with more the nature of FT and the type of question you are posting. If the thread is about deal/s that could potential save thousands, a question like "I have no idea, someone please help me do this" is going to be met with a less positive response than a similar thread asking about the best seat on the aircraft, for example.
Actually the seat question example is exactly the kind of question I was referring to. Funny you should mention that scenario.

I am confused. Are you saying you need to wear thick skin to read this recent thread of yours because you "felt" being ignored or mocked at?

After reading that thread, I personally can't find any "unfriendliness" in any of the 2 replies. They both answered your questions directly. I also agree with belfordrocks the nature and type of questions will "pre-determine" how a thread goes on FT.

Have you noticed how this following "simple" Q&A thread has been going for 13 pages since May, and is still going strong? FTers are such an engaging crowd with some wicked sense of humor, if you will.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...hawaii-13.html

Last edited by lin821; Aug 27, 2012 at 6:31 am Reason: missing a sentence
Old Aug 27, 2012, 6:13 am

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by tom911
You shouldn't feel that way. If you're being taken to task in any of the forums you participate in, and there's a violation of the terms of service, whether you're a new member or an old member, the moderators should deal with it. We're not allowed to discuss moderators or moderation here, though, so it's really hard to offer additional comments without having them deleted or getting myself banned.
To me, I think the problem is that it's not a violation of terms of service in some cases.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 12:34 pm

I agree with you, and would love to discuss it further, but that M...... word comes into play.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So is the purpose of this thread just to have a discussion about what is wrong with FT without asking for the Talk Board to do anything? Have you seen one single person in a position of authority in this thread indicate any changes will come about because of all the venting here?
discussion of FT always goes in this forum, unless ive missed something

i guess im not sure whether mia moved posts here

"venting" by definition is not about being constructive

I agree with you, and would love to discuss it further, but that M...... word comes into play.
terms of service is not moderation

TB is not prevented from proposing terms of service etc

TB is also not prevented from discussing/changing itself within existing guidelines

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 27, 2012 at 2:09 pm
Old Aug 27, 2012, 7:34 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

FlyerTalk members are free to discuss moderation in general.

However, the Guidelines & Rules of FlyerTalk prohibits the discussion of specific moderator actions:
Discussing Specific Moderator Actions
On-board discussion of moderator decisions - including post deletions and member discipline - is not allowed and will be removed. Members will also be subject to disciplinary action. Similarly, posts announcing a member's return to FlyerTalk after a suspension or ban are not allowed. If you have a question about a moderator action, contact the moderator directly or Carol (SanDiego1k).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.